Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:12 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times

Advertisements

I saw a strange public hearing notice today, announcing the "Proposed abandonment of Route 809, aka Brockman Farm Road." I've heard of road closures before, but not a road abandonment.

Does anyone know what this means? It's near a wooded area, so does mean it's an eco concept of some sort and it's going to be allowed to revert to woods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:06 AM

21 posts, read 57,725 times
Is it anywhere near Brockman Lane? Brockman Lane is a dead end road in the neighborhood of Great Falls Forest (Loudoun County, backing up to Lowes Island), and the end of it used to continue over the county line into Fairfax. For years it had a barricade up, and was left as a road to be used only for emergency personnel. Maybe now that the greater Cascades area has it's own supply of emergency personnel they figure that the right of way is no longer needed? Maybe Brockman Farm is the other end of Brockman Lane.

Another thought: Perhaps Brockman Farm was that area that used to be in front near Lowes Island Boulevard, near where the Baptist Church is now? Maybe that's the area they're referencing. There used to be some smaller, single family homes along there. Not sure.......!

Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymomto6 View Post
Is it anywhere near Brockman Lane? Brockman Lane is a dead end road in the neighborhood of Great Falls Forest (Loudoun County, backing up to Lowes Island), and the end of it used to continue over the county line into Fairfax. For years it had a barricade up, and was left as a road to be used only for emergency personnel. Maybe now that the greater Cascades area has it's own supply of emergency personnel they figure that the right of way is no longer needed? Maybe Brockman Farm is the other end of Brockman Lane.

Another thought: Perhaps Brockman Farm was that area that used to be in front near Lowes Island Boulevard, near where the Baptist Church is now? Maybe that's the area they're referencing. There used to be some smaller, single family homes along there. Not sure.......!
Yes, that's exactly the road. It's fine by me to have it closed, since I've never seen cars use it. For as long as I've lived here it's mostly been used by hikers and the occasional truck for tree trimming.

I'm just surprised by the word "abandonment." I've never heard of an abandonment before and I wonder what that entails and what makes it different from a road closure.

Here's a photo of it, BTW.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:39 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
Guide to Additions, Abandonments, and Discontinuances (http://www.virginiadot.org/business/resources/localassistance-additionsabandonmentsanddiscontiniuances.pdf - broken link) (VDOT Manual)

Old 04-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Thanks cdmurphy, you are an amazing resource as always. I scanned through that pdf and I understand the differences between an abandonment and a discontinuance to some degree, but I still don't get what becomes of the land and who will now be responsible for it. Does it go up for auction?

I guess it will be interesting to watch and see.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:19 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,323 times
*cue Butthead voice* "Huh.. huh... that would be cool."

Actually, that would be a really interesting place for a (daytime) bike ride. There was an abandoned/blocked-off county road near my parents' home in Missouri that I used as my own personal bike trail about five summers ago. The grasshoppers insisted on sharing it with me, though.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:18 AM

25 posts, read 48,124 times
Once the right of way is abandoned, it becomes "surplus property" and VDOT is required to sell it. Parcels like this are usually bought up by an adjacent property owner, since just by itself a strip of land once used as a road would could not be used for much.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:40 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
This presents an interesting question for road buffs: Are route numbers permanently retired or re-used elsewhere?

Old 08-22-2011, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,259 times
I walk this trail everyday with my dogs - and live right next to it in Lowes Point. Before they built RiverBank Woods and Rivercrest (2000 - 2001) there were 3 small rambler type houses on this old road and at the end an abandoned barn/farm. I have lived close by since 1995 and use the road for running/biking.

I think the Fairfax County Water Authority owns it and they put a large gate on the corner of Lowes Island Blvd., many people used to dump their yard waste etc., on the side of this road as well as the teens smoking weed etc., I try to clean up/pick up trash/Subway wrappers/juice boxes etc., as this road has lots of wildlife/flowers and a stream that dumps into Sugarland Run and then the Potomac.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
I walked by this road today and noticed it's gated off and there's a sign that says No trespassing, property owned by Fairfax Water. Why would Fairfax Water want to buy an old farm road in Loudoun County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia