Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:59 AM

33 posts, read 203,331 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good lawyer in the loudon county area that has experience with wreckless driving tickets. I received one yesterday 46.2-862, Reckless by speeding 60/35. I have never gotten a reckless driving ticket before, but am out of state from Maryland. The officer set the court date approximately two months from now, which seems odd to me.

On the ticket he put "district court (traffic)". There was criminal as an option, but it was not checked. Is reckless driving a traffic violation only? I got a speeding ticket on I-66 in June for 74/55. I really thought the speed limit was 65 in that area, as I was coming from Manassas, but I guess it wasn't. I paid the fine on that one.

My past record is not very clean, I seem to average about one ticket per year. I am slowing down now, obviously. Can anyone recommend a good lawyer that has had success with reckless driving in the loudon area? The trial is set at the loudon county courthouse in Leesburg.

Regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 01:32 PM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
I just recommended this lawyer in another thread-

Jennifer Wexton, 703-777-6161

She is a former Loudoun County prosecutor turned defense/ divorce attorney. She is great. I think she came from Arlington CA's office before coming out to Loudoun and has been working in the Loudoun scene for at least the last 6-7 years. Good luck.

FYI-in Virginia there are Traffic and Criminal General District Courts (they are separate from each other). The officer checked "traffic" just meaning you need to be in traffic court b/c the charge is traffic related. It can still be a criminal charge in traffic court (like class 1 Misd Reckless Driving and DUI). Hope this info helps.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:41 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Since reckless driving for speed is a very common charge in Virginia, there are many attorneys everywhere in the state who are experienced in defending it. If you simply google 'Loudon County reckless driving attorney', you'll get a nice list. Some of their websites are quite detailed, and may provide important information about the nature of the charge and what you should be thinking of doing about it. A worthwhile read, if only to familiarize yourself with your new surroundings...

Old 08-30-2007, 02:53 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Forgive my ignorance, but why do you need an attorney? I mean 60/35 is a pretty clear transgression. I have only received one speeding ticket in my life and I just paid it as I was as guilty as they come.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but why do you need an attorney? I mean 60/35 is a pretty clear transgression. I have only received one speeding ticket in my life and I just paid it as I was as guilty as they come.
You might not want to pay this one. A straight-up conviction on 46.2-862 is a year in jail, a $2500 fine, six months loss of license, and a criminal record for the next 11 years. On the plus side, 60/35 is the minimum that warrants the charge, and it wasn't referred to criminal court, where outcomes are usually worse. On the down side, a spotty past record may suggest that it's about time the perp be taught a lesson. In the larger view, only a small fraction of the people slapped with this charge are also slapped with those penalties. You want to avoid being part of that small fraction. Hence the recommendation for at least a consult with a competent Loudon attorney. NoVa judges are among the strictest in the state. In this jusrisdiction, a defendant cannot negotiate with either the prosecutor or the judge. A lawyer can do both. Figure it out...

Old 08-31-2007, 07:18 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
I see. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:41 AM

You also can not just "pay the fine" on this kind of reckless driving ticket. It is a non-prepayable offense. I am lucky that i'm at the low end of reckless driving.. only 1 mph slower and i'd maybe would have gotten a speeding ticket. Regardless, I have since slowed down. I have certainly learned my lesson, but I fear the judge won't think so.

I'm basically shooting for a reduced charge that won't show up as a criminal offense, and hoping to avoid jail time and still be able to drive to work in Virginia.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:58 PM

Just an update for those in a reckless driving predicament, and thanks mdcrim for the lawyer reference, Jennifer was great.

-Lawyer Name & Contact info:
Jennifer Wexton
703-777-6161
20 West Market St., Suite A
Leesburg, VA 20176
Ritenour Paice & Mougin-Boal (http://www.rpmattorneys.com/home.htm - broken link)

-Charges Faced & Location of violation

I'm an out of state driver from MD and have a horrible MD record
Reckless driving 60/35 - Loudon County (near leesburg)

-Lawyer cost
$750

-Outcome of case (fines, points etc)
Lowered to speeding, 54/35, $120 fine, $53 in court costs, total $170.

Docket was for 1:30
Got there at 1. Met Jennifer at about 1:10, she spoke with the officer in the officer room. Came out said officer we amiable to reducing to 54/30 so it was just speeding. Went into courtroom, had to pass and said attorney needs to speak to commonwealth attorney. Watched a few cases. Jennifer came in to the courtroom to get me and had a pink piece of paper with what the officer, and commonwealth attorney agreed to, I agreed to it. Went in, she gave paper to the balif, my case was called 2 minutes later, pled guilty to modified charges. Got my little notecard and paid the clerk $173.

Jennifer was awesome, corresponded mostly by e-mail, by choice (didn't want to take off work). I didn't have to say a word, she handled everything. I told her the outcome I wanted was to get reduced to a speeding ticket and I didn't care what the fine was. It's cheaper than what I would have gotten in MD anyway.

As a side note, she did not believe that the officer or commonwealth attorney would have my MD record, but the officer had a friend in the MD state trooper's department and had them pull it for him. He gave it to the commonwealth attorney. I've had a racket of tickets over the past 8 years of driving.. the commonwealth attorney was shocked and didn't like it, but did agree to the speeding ticket, so I was happy.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:06 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Glad to hear you are slowing down. With your track record....if you happen to be involved in an accident that really isn't your fault like a kid runs out in front of you...you may very well be charged based upon your past actions if it's kinda grey. (Plus the likelihood that you'll almost certainly be doing something over the speed limit...even if it's not excessive....at the time)

There is a similar case going on in Kansas City right now involving a habitual speeder that killed a young girl out bike-riding with her grandfather. With no past record they might not have charged the guy but with the evidence at the scene and his history....he's going to jail.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:26 PM

Sigh of relief time. A good thing to have behind you. This kind of outcome is common once you have competent representation. The latter is worth every nickel. Meanwhile, don't ignore the lesson that you were supposed to learn from all this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia