U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 02:10 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,701,460 times

Advertisements

Carlingtonian, when you become a parent and have a child in northern Virginia schools, you will be in for a real shock.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 02:13 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,941,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Carlingtonian, when you become a parent and have a child in northern Virginia schools, you will be in for a real shock.
Evidently!

I get it that teachers don't make a lot, and they shouldn't have to buy stuff for the classroom, though I know they often do. But the teacher (or better yet, the school) should tell the parents how to contribute anonymously to the supply fund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
At the elementary school level, kids really grow very fond of their teachers and they usually really enjoy giving them a gift.
An apple is one thing. Heck, it might be fun to have a group of anonymous parents donate a bushel of apples so each kid can hand one to the teacher. But giftcards?

Old 12-15-2011, 02:20 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,090,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Evidently!

I get it that teachers don't make a lot, and they shouldn't have to buy stuff for the classroom, though I know they often do. But the teacher (or better yet, the school) should tell the parents how to contribute anonymously to the supply fund.

An apple is one thing. Heck, it might be fun to have a group of anonymous parents donate a bushel of apples so each kid can hand one to the teacher. But giftcards?
Well, think of how many Christmas ornaments, bath soaps, candles, and figurines they have gotten over the years? I was on another forum a few years ago where there were teachers who, while very grateful for the gifts, didn't know what to do with their 10th "apple" ornament, their 30th candle, their 12 boxes of cookies, etc. Most said they ended up having to give a lot of stuff away. I think giftcards are perfect in this situation.

Teachers don't make much money. Think how nice it is to pool together a couple of Panera gift cards and go out for an informal dinner or something.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 PM

49 posts, read 124,557 times
Quote:
Well, think of how many Christmas ornaments, bath soaps, candles, and figurines they have gotten over the years? I was on another forum a few years ago where there were teachers who, while very grateful for the gifts, didn't know what to do with their 10th "apple" ornament, their 30th candle, their 12 boxes of cookies, etc. Most said they ended up having to give a lot of stuff away. I think giftcards are perfect in this situation.

Teachers don't make much money. Think how nice it is to pool together a couple of Panera gift cards and go out for an informal dinner or something.

Good point, ChristineVA!

Old 12-15-2011, 02:56 PM

664 posts, read 1,619,521 times
Quote:

A friend of mine who was a teacher had a HUGE box filled with stuff from Bath and Body Works she had been given as gifts, even YEARS after she stopped teaching!

Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,647,744 times
The OP wants to give a gift. She is allowed to. I think $20 is a good amount. It is typical of what I receive as an elementary teacher.

I don't expect any gifts. Any gift is appreciated and will not sway me one way or another on how I treat a student.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:59 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,090,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
A friend of mine who was a teacher had a HUGE box filled with stuff from Bath and Body Works she had been given as gifts, even YEARS after she stopped teaching!
Exactly. These are easy little gifts for people to pick up and nothing wrong with them but, if you're teaching a class of 25, year after year, you get a LOT of this stuff. I really never gave it much thought until I read about it on the internet!!!! I also didn't realize how much they get in regards to homemade treats--it's apprarently a lot and they can't possibly eat it all.

I'm not a big fan of gift cards but in this situation they seem to work well.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:07 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,355,731 times
A donation in the teachers name would be good too

Old 12-15-2011, 03:12 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,844,263 times
Just make sure it is not against school policy. Don't want to get the teacher in trouble. While giving knick knack type of things will probably not go over well how about a gift card at a teachers supply type of store. I have a niece who is a teacher and she, along with most all of them, use their own money to buy things for the classroom.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:29 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,315,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
While giving knick knack type of things will probably not go over well how about a gift card at a teachers supply type of store. I have a niece who is a teacher and she, along with most all of them, use their own money to buy things for the classroom.
That's why several parents I know (including myself) give gift cards to places like Target and iTunes as the teachers often buy things from there for the classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia