Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:17 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times

Advertisements

Tipping is handing someone cash. Giftcards for teachers does not qualify as "tipping."

As far as too many mugs, lotions, etc., this is why I give Christmas cookies. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 AM

265 posts, read 952,819 times
We do gift cards ($25 to a restaurant or store like Target or Kohls) for the main teacher and small items for the bus driver and other speciality teachers. It's to show your appreciation. I do something at the holidays and again at the end of the year.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:41 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
As a middle school teacher (different than 1st grade, I know), the best gift I could be given right now is a basket full of pencils, erasers, eraser caps, mini sharpeners, tape, etc. I think in the past 3-4 months, I've spent $50-75 on just pencils for the kids who come daily without them.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:46 AM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
As a middle school teacher (different than 1st grade, I know), the best gift I could be given right now is a basket full of pencils, erasers, eraser caps, mini sharpeners, tape, etc. I think in the past 3-4 months, I've spent $50-75 on just pencils for the kids who come daily without them.
Wanted to rep you for this but it told me I have to spread more around first.

Thanks for the suggestions! This is the first year I am the parent of a middle schooler, and wasn't really sure what to do!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:42 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! This is the first year I am the parent of a middle schooler, and wasn't really sure what to do!

The other thing I would LOVE is a handwritten card from the student--because I know how difficult it is for them to a) write anything and b) think about someone other than themselves (ohhhh 13 year olds).

Old 12-16-2011, 12:38 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
I gave $10 toward a group gift card for my daughter's 4th grade teacher and did the same for my daughter's 1st grade teacher. I will give each of my son's preschool teachers a $10 giftcard - usually to Trader Joe's or Safeway - somewhere useful but they can indulge in a treat, too. I also give a $10 giftcard to the mail carrier and the school bus driver. I do this at Christmas and again at the end of the year. Unfortunately, I do not have a cleaning woman. :-(

Old 12-16-2011, 05:48 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Just make sure the teacher drinks coffee. I guess they have other drinks too, but I think of it for primarily coffee drinkers.
Agreed - I don't like coffee and personally wouldn't want Starbucks.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:36 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasdad View Post
My daughter adores her 1st grade teacher. Whenever we see her, we make sure to let her know how appreciative we are of all her efforts.

We'd like to give her a giftcard (or other gift) to show our appreciation of her hard work. In addition to being great with all the kids, she uses her own money to buy books, etc. for her students.

We were considering getting a gift card to Target in the amount of $20-$40...tho I wouldn't hesitate to give her much more. I realize that there is an amount that's too high..an amount that may leave her feeling uncomfortable or leave her feeling obligated to give our child preferential treatment. We absolutely don't want that.

All that said, what is an "ideal" gift or an ideal giftcard amount for a 1st grade teacher?

Thanks, in advance, for any input!
I have been a teacher for a long, long time. I have gotten gift cards from 5-50, all appreciated regardless of the amount. The thing is, I don't require a gift like that - I am more than happy with a letter or card that expresses appreciation, or even better, is addressed to my boss. This is really the best gift. If you have to do a gift certificate, then I think 20 is just fine. It really isn't the amount - it's the thought. That's why I recommend just giving the thought.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 PM

49 posts, read 138,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I have been a teacher for a long, long time. I have gotten gift cards from 5-50, all appreciated regardless of the amount. The thing is, I don't require a gift like that - I am more than happy with a letter or card that expresses appreciation, or even better, is addressed to my boss. This is really the best gift. If you have to do a gift certificate, then I think 20 is just fine. It really isn't the amount - it's the thought. That's why I recommend just giving the thought.

Point well taken, thank you!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:24 PM

230 posts, read 758,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Agreed - I don't like coffee and personally wouldn't want Starbucks.
Starbucks has other things besides coffee which include other drinks, muffins/pastrys, sandwiches etc. So I'm sure if a teacher got a gift card from Starbucks it wouldn't go unused!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia