U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:27 AM

423 posts, read 624,360 times

Advertisements

This is a jump from an existing City-Data forum.

"Credit Card Services" is a total scam!

I have placed it in the NoVA forum because they have pestered me and called me over and over. They are very aggressive and active in this area so I thought it was worth reposting here.

DO NOT GIVE YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER OUT TO ANYONE WHO CALLS UP AND ASKS FOR IT. Scammers will usually quote your first or last four digits at you and ask you to give them the rest of the number for "verification purposes". They can get a few digits of your credit card from many sources.

These guys ("Credit Card Services will lower your interest rate!") are very smooth and very believable. Don't fall for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 09:29 AM

5,753 posts, read 5,887,645 times
I've had several voice mails from them. I just hit delete. I can't even imagine that anyone would take it seriously.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:56 AM

469 posts, read 535,564 times
And, every credit-card receipt I've gotten from the store has the last 4 digits of the credit-card number (the first numbers are asterisk-ed out). So yeah, it's very easy for them to scam you into believing they actually have the full number.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:45 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,049,202 times
Unfortunetly, there are people that fall for this. In my opinion, anyone that hands out their credit card number or any such numbers to someone randomly calling over the phone to lower rates or something along those lines probably doesn't know much about how it works to start off with, but I digress. Most of these scammers either block their number or show from "out of area" on caller ID, so the phone doesn't get answered by us to start off with.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,645 times
Default How to get him.

The only way to stop this clown is with legal action, but getting a judgment against him is the easy part. We have to locate his bank accounts and assets so we can exicute the judgment against him. He is probably slipperly so the house will be joint with his wife or morged to the hilt.

If you were one of the poor schmoos who paid him money if you can track what bank the money went to it would help. If you paid by check the info on what bank and account it was deposited to would be on the back of the check, but it seems they were charging credit cards but the bank that he uses for this would be a help.

I am willing to do the suit part and include those who assist as plaintiffs on the complaint. If you wish to work on this contact me at centralinquires@comcast.net

Lets get this SOB.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:25 PM

423 posts, read 624,360 times
Vadatepe

I appreciate your enthusiasm but we are not going to be able to "get him" as we don't know who he is. He has a lot of brother scammers. In this case, no harm was done as I never gave him any personal information. However, many people are not as blessed since this is a very popular scam. All it takes is a few hundred dollars to set up a robocaller and one or more boilerroom operators so there are lots of opportunists out there.

If you or someone you know was stung, you may or may not be able to get your bank/credit card company to track the criminal down. Caller ID numbers are always spoofed by scammers.

There is a pretty good reference here. Also, according to recent regulation changes, it is illegal for robocalls to call you without your written permission in advance. There are a couple of exceptions to include political calls and calls from certain healthcare providers such as pharmacies. Prerecorded messages from banks, telephone carriers and charities also are exempt from these rules if the banks, carriers or charities make the calls themselves. So, if you get a robocall that isn't from one of these, "Hello, Big Clue hitting you upside the head."

Email to centralinquiries? That's a pretty big net you are casting. Do you work for Comcast?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,473 times
Thumbs down This is a complete and total scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by janicesheller View Post
That scam's been around for a long time already, similar to the Grandparent scam. But it never grows old. Even when we think this scam's too obvious and that nobody should fall for this anymore, unfortunately, a few others still do. This is why this scam continues.
I wanted to get on this forum and add my 2 cents worth. They called yesterday (Tuesday, 01-17-12), only this time, instead of getting ME, my elderly mother answered the phone.

And they took her hook, line and sinker. Let me tell you something about my mother. She is 100% gullible and will fall for just about anything if it sounds convincing enough. I have told her time and time again NOT to give out personal information over the phone, but she doesn't listen. She talks to complete strangers as if they were life-long friends of hers from way back, and I have told her that these people are NOT her friends, never will be her friends, and all they want to do is scam her out of her money.

They had her going UNTIL they wanted her Social Security number, and that flew up red flags for her and she told them that she "doesn't give that sort of information over the phone". At this point, I had had enough and I told her she needed to hang up. She got mad and told me no. That's when I picked up and extension and said I wanted to speak to whoever the manager is, and they told me the manager wasn't available. I got my mother to hang up and about 3 minutes later, they called back. I went off and told this jerk that they are scammers and to never call back ever again. I yelled and screamed (yeah, at this moment, I lost it), and the woman just called me, "delusional".

BTW, my mother NEVER looks at the Caller ID when she answers the phone, but I did. The ID said the caller was, "UNKNOWN NAME", and the number was a 213 area code. If it's a legit company, why hide behind a Unknown Name? What a scam!! Oh, and we called the credit card company and told them what happened. They said they were cancelling the card and reissuing her a new one, and that she wouldn't be held liable for any unauthorized charges from these morons.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,295,403 times
The Caller ID undoubtedly was spoofed - the number you saw was NOT the number that was calling.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM

559 posts, read 568,737 times
"...AND IF YOU WIRE ME THE REQUESTED MONEY TO COVER THE NECESSARY EXPENSES, I CAN THEN SEND YOU THE TEN PERCENT FEE YOU WILL RECEIVE FOR HELPING ME GET THE 20 MILLION DOLLARS OUT OF A FROZEN ACCOUNT IN THE CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA LEFT TO ME BY MY DECEASED RELATIVE WHO WAS KILLED IN A TRAGIC MOTOR CAR ACCIDENT ON THE BURKINA FASSO TO LAGOS MOTORWAY. I MUST ASK YOU HOWEVER TO KEEP OUR DEALINGS IN THIS TRANSACTION IN THE STRICTEST CONFIDENCE."

Wonder if anyone still falls for the Nigerian scam?

Old 01-18-2012, 09:27 PM

8,040 posts, read 10,032,522 times
These crooks not only call they also send spam texts (which you end up paying for).

I've been called / texted several times even though on the Do Not Call Registry. Therefore the perps are in violation of Federal Law.

I used sophisticated techniques to try and contact the actual perps, and in a few cases succeeded. Did some of my own social engineering. They are well trained and know when and how to run away when it gets too hot.

If the FCC made it a priority they could be found and busted. It's just a matter of priorities and getting the right political impetus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia