U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 05:58 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,364,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You guys let your wives buy your clothes? Do they buy you what you like or what they like?
That's what husbands are for. They're like life sized dolls we women get to dress. Who cares what they like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 06:25 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,855,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
middle-aged men turned mift, then politely irritated
I hear some even got sorely taxed!

Old 12-24-2011, 07:13 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,871,991 times
Quote:
...Car54: That boat sounds nice. Who would've thought the bus driver and the yachtsman could be one and the same! Hopefully you have not painted your boat canary yellow.

No canary yellow! She still sports her original and very traditional paint scheme for wooden pleasure boats....white hull, blue bottom, black bootstripe and varnished mahogany transom. (fun fact: my dad ordered the boat at the 1966 New York boat show. Ed McMahon of Tonight Show fame was there and bought one of the same model...I remember dad joking around with him. LOL)

Trivia: The yellow school bus resulted from a North American conference held in 1939. The yellow color was one of 44 standards adopted for school bus construction....stuff like ceiling height, seat dimensions, aisle width, etc...that are still used today. Incidentally, the official (and quite strange)name of that yellow paint is "National School Bus Chrome".

Old 12-24-2011, 07:53 AM

5,739 posts, read 8,952,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
No canary yellow! She still sports her original and very traditional paint scheme for wooden pleasure boats....white hull, blue bottom, black bootstripe and varnished mahogany transom. (fun fact: my dad ordered the boat at the 1966 New York boat show. Ed McMahon of Tonight Show fame was there and bought one of the same model...I remember dad joking around with him. LOL
Wow--nice boat! I briefly owned an 8-foot sailing dinghy with a mahogany rail, which had the remnants of a canvas pad attached to it with little screws. (She'd been used as a tender.) I spent hours sanding off the old varnish, removing the tiny screws, filling the holes with wood filler, sanding the wood down, and oiling it. And I only got to take her out once, on the Potomac. But I actually sold her for more than I paid. (Only by $100, but still, I was happy to defy the common trend.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Trivia: The yellow school bus resulted from a North American conference held in 1939. The yellow color was one of 44 standards adopted for school bus construction....stuff like ceiling height, seat dimensions, aisle width, etc...that are still used today. Incidentally, the official (and quite strange)name of that yellow paint is "National School Bus Chrome".
There's talk of making all the cabs in DC the same color. I think it should be this shade. Very few passenger cars are this color. So it'll be easier to spot the cabs. Plus hey, it's tradition.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:57 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,427,402 times
Quote:
An orderly queue of doughy middle-aged men turned mift, then politely irritated when the Jos. A Bank store selling a new line of Sperry Top-Siders temporarily ran out. Eyes were rolled. Sighs were heard.

However, coupons for golf shirts mollified the disgruntled.
Perhaps we can find those coveted Sperry Top-siders on Ebay today for $500.00.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:40 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,366,553 times
Ha! ha! I still wear Topsiders, myself, but I think that's because I grew up with them -- and I have several colors to boot. However, I do tend to match them these days, though I used to keep a bin at my grandparents' summer home with several pair in them and just pulled out a right and left, and put them on, even if they didn't match. One can get away with that in the summer, at least in a more relaxed setting.

Glad nobody was injured in the Great Topsider Melee of 2011.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-31-2011, 06:26 AM

119 posts, read 333,976 times
wierd thing is my daughter a HS student thinks they are the best, she and her friends wear them all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia