U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:17 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,277,349 times
Doesn't really matter at this point, it just sells copy. Short of us finding the final Republican candidate having killed someone, raped someone, or is currently banging some intern, the Republican wins.

And even if they are found guilty of any of the above prior to the general election, they still stand a good chance. Personally, I don't care who gets the nod at this point. As soon as it is announced I am going to let all my Democrat friends know who I am voting for. Just to get the rise out of them if nothing else. Should be a hoot.

The more zanny the better. I'm think that polished guy, Romney, should mke them nervous. From black to a mormon. Hilarious. Better yet, that whack job Bachman...the lawyer who doesn't blink. Must be the botox. No matter, the Republican wins and I am going to simply roast Democrats for a year straight!

Won't you join me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 07:47 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,149,961 times
I would happily join you if I thought any of these people could beat Obama.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:55 PM

100 posts, read 84,651 times
Obama has been polling worse against a "generic" republican and even or leading the specific republicans in the race. I think Romney will eventually come away with the nom but I see significant problems with his prior positions conflicting with his current positions on several issues. I will probably vote for the President over any of the possible nominees.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:02 AM

4,044 posts, read 3,157,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I heard on the news tonight that Virginia has the most difficult procedure of any state. We're number ONE! We're number ONE!
Well, some state has to have the most difficult process, right? I have no problem with Virginia being #1, nor do I have any problem with Virginia changing the process - after this election cycle - to make things easier for candidates and their campaign staffs.

However, if the current GOP-dominated state government simultaneously makes it easier for candidates to get on ballots and makes it more difficult for people to vote, that's something I would find deeply disappointing ... but not especially surprising.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:22 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,173,858 times
I don't understand the objection to the process that currently exists - it appears to me to be a rather good way of culling out the herd of candidates before-the-fact. If "Uncle Joe" wants to enter a primary, let him show beforehand that he can muster enough support to actually get past the primary.

I have no problem with it.

And, as we've seen, it actually does cull out the Media Stars who might not actually have anything otherwise going for them.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:48 AM

387 posts, read 394,736 times
Personally, I feel that the sheer number of candidates trying to get the nomination is indicative of a problem in the party and a good reflection of deeper problems in our current two party system. Aside from that, I appreciate that VA makes it difficult for candidates to get on the ballot. This ensures that the best organized and most serious candidates get on the ballot. If only two people got on the ballot then they were the ones taking VA seriously and deserve our Republicans support for getting the nomination.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:04 AM

4,129 posts, read 3,752,107 times
I think the main reason the other GOP candidates didn't make it onto the VA ballot is that to prevent election fraud, VA requires each petition signer to show a valid driver's license, along with a birth certificate, current dental records, and a small vial of blood. From a leprechaun.

I don't understand what "certifying" the signatures means. Do the candidates just sign something stating that the signatures are all valid? And so only Romney and Paul got that done? Hard to believe the others would have failed to do something so easy yet so crucial. Seems like there has to be more to it.

I do agree that the entire presidential electoral process is in dire need of reform. Why we still have primaries and an Electoral College is beyond me. I'd be for electing the president via a single, all-party, national election, based solely on the popular vote. And then having a runoff (since there would surely not be any one candidate winning the majority in such an election).

Old 12-27-2011, 10:21 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,027,949 times
What do Dennis Kucinich, Al Sharpton, and Lyndon LaRouche have in common?

They could all get on a Virginia Presidential primary ballot. I understand Bachmann, Huntsman, and Santorum didn't even try, which indicates the seriousness of their campaigns, IMO.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:02 AM

5 posts, read 1,768 times
Gingrich should drop out and endorse ron paul

Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 1,768 times
It better not be a Romney/Paul ticket because if it is I would be tempted to murder someone after they got elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia