U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 02:46 PM

135 posts, read 227,727 times

Advertisements

Is there one anywhere in the DC metro area, preferably in Fairfax County? I've been googling around and trying to find one, but all i come up with are restaurants. I'm from Salt Lake and even they have a couple great import stores. Surely DC has a few and I'm missing them, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 02:49 PM

221 posts, read 387,458 times
it's called The Italian Store - it's in Arlington.

there's another one in Vienna called The Italian Gourmet

I think is also a Ferrari dealership somewhere.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:55 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,969,149 times
Yup, The Italian Store is at Spout Run in Arlington--just between the GW Parkway and Lee Highway.

Also, you can find imported (dry) Italian pasta at Home Goods, of all places.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:55 PM

135 posts, read 227,727 times
Perfect. Thank you so much!

Old 12-26-2011, 03:19 PM

221 posts, read 387,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Also, you can find imported (dry) Italian pasta at Home Goods, of all places.
Or....any grocery store. If you just look on the top shelf.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
Or....any grocery store. If you just look on the top shelf.
Yeah, but at a much higher price, and not the same brands.

SLClady, make some good food and enjoy!

Old 12-26-2011, 04:05 PM

652 posts, read 889,939 times
The fresh Italian sausage is very good at The Italian Gourmet in Vienna -- had some for lunch today!! Be careful tho -- the hot sausage is VERY spicy! They also have a nice selection of dry pastas and various other Italian products -- good canned tomatoes and sauces and olive oils. They also have a small amount of good Italian bread delivered daily -- only about 10 loaves tho so get there early. I like the rustic loaf -- very chewy and authentic.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
The fresh Italian sausage is very good at The Italian Gourmet in Vienna -- had some for lunch today!! Be careful tho -- the hot sausage is VERY spicy! They also have a nice selection of dry pastas and various other Italian products -- good canned tomatoes and sauces and olive oils. They also have a small amount of good Italian bread delivered daily -- only about 10 loaves tho so get there early. I like the rustic loaf -- very chewy and authentic.
Great info! You are making me quite hungry.

And that reminds me: In Baltimore, there's at least one super old-school Italian grocery store. I think the one I visited may have been Trinacria's. I remember they don't take credit cards, but they do take personal checks.

Baltimore seems to have more numerous and more authentic Italian shops, all within the downtown area. Worth a drive sometime.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:00 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,644,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
it's called The Italian Store - it's in Arlington.

there's another one in Vienna called The Italian Gourmet

I think is also a Ferrari dealership somewhere.
Ha ha! Yes, the Ferrari-Lamborghini-Maserati dealership is in Sterling, next to Wegmans.

For food, there is also A. Litteri in the District.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:27 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,889,243 times
I guess the Italians didn't migrate this far in large numbers.

MANY ended up in New Haven CT though, like both my maternal grandparents. Makes sense I suppose, Ellis Island is only about 75 miles away. Between many visits to grandma's house and attending college, I spent a lot of time up there.

The grocery scene was very different up there years ago (maybe still is)....there were VERY few supermarkets as we know them, Italian or otherwise. Except for Pegnataro's, they ran a supermarket or two. Everybody else specialized. You had the cheese guy, the produce guy, the butcher, the baker (but no candlestick makers, LOL) and of course the wine guy. I have fond memories of hitting all these places with my grandpa on Saturday morning.

Frank Pepe (founder of world famous Pepe's Apizza) lived next door to my grandparents. I'm told my mom almost married one of the Pepe boys. Phew...it could have turned out way different...I could have ended up in the pizza business! LOL.

Pepe (pronounced peppy) is still packing 'em in almost a hundred years later...best pie you can buy anywhere! Forget Sally's, when in Elm City, go to Pepe's!. I'm headed to NYC tomorrow for New Years and am going to try to interest the wife in a sidetrip to New Haven...clam pizza, YUM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia