Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,272 times

Advertisements

I've recently graduated from college and accepted a job in McLean, right by Tyson's Corner.

I currently live at home in Manassas, and there isn't any huge rush to move out, but the commute to McLean is obviously less than desirable (to say the least) and I'd like to live a lot closer to work. Also, I'd like to be closer to Clarendon, D.C. and other young professionals.

Ideally, I'd like to spend less than $1700 on a studio or one bedroom. I visited a very nice building on Columbia Pike a couple of days ago (called 55 Hundred). I absolutely love the complex and the apartment, and it fits nicely within my budget. However, from what I've gathered from word of mouth and various threads, living anywhere west of Glebe Road seems to be unsafe? The area certainly isn't as "polished" as the east end of Columbia pike, but I haven't gotten the vibe that it's dangerous. I guess that I'm just looking for a few opinions and any more general advice as to moving to the area.

I'm also considering the northern portion of Arlington, so I'm not really set on location yet. Just looking for some tips and suggestions!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,561 times
I think it's super-convenient. I used to live on South Frederick, and I never felt unsafe, although I would watch out for property crime (theft from vehicles, etc.) just like anywhere else. So much good shopping - I wish Trader Joe's had been open when I lived there.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:59 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
thats right near baileys, right? - I wouldn't call that dangerous, though it won't be as much fun as closer in (but an easier drive to Tysons - and you even have a bus option when you want it).

some did a thread on safety in seven corners culmore - you might want to take a look at that.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:33 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
Congrats on the job!

The post cited above is this one: http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...dangerous.html

The Cliffs Notes version: That area is still heavily low-income (mostly Latino). I take it from your forum handle that you're a woman. I wouldn't advise you to walk around there late at night by yourself. But during the day, you'd be fine. Plus, the area will only continue to be gentrified. Use common sense, practice good situational awareness--do NOT walk around with your nose buried in your iPhone--and you'll be as safe as anyone.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:52 PM

126 posts, read 303,995 times
What is your salary? I feel like you can afford more bang for your buck.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Congrats on the job!

The post cited above is this one: http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...dangerous.html

The Cliffs Notes version: That area is still heavily low-income (mostly Latino). I take it from your forum handle that you're a woman. I wouldn't advise you to walk around there late at night by yourself. But during the day, you'd be fine. Plus, the area will only continue to be gentrified. Use common sense, practice good situational awareness--do NOT walk around with your nose buried in your iPhone--and you'll be as safe as anyone.
Haha, not a woman, but good advice nonetheless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike10 View Post
What is your salary? I feel like you can afford more bang for your buck.
My salary is $60,000. I said earlier that I'd like to spend under $1,700, but I think even that'd be on the high end.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimm07 View Post
Haha, not a woman, but good advice nonetheless!
Doh! Sorry. I thought you were Ms. Imm, rather than M.S. Imm or whatever your name is. Anyway--glad to help and good luck!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:06 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,004 times
I used to live right there on south jefferson st. The area is fine, but as has been said it is heavy latino especially as you head further east down Columbia Pike. The area on the other side of Columbia Pike (the northern side) is somewhat sketchy.

For safety the area is the fine as the most common crime is theft from parked vehicles. I don't know what 55 hundred is rentwise these days, but the two wildwood buildings next to it are under $1400 with utilities included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: