U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:42 AM

493 posts, read 1,007,763 times

Advertisements

JTrain: Ditto to what Carlingtonian wrote. Go down to the Harris Teeter at Lee-Harrison shopping plaza. The parking can sometimes be as annoying as the HT where you go, tho, but the inside is not so cramped.

Giant's gas-points program is a winner. (40 cents off a gallon last week! I lucked out with one of the 200-extra-points specials.)

I don't buy a lot at HT, but it is open 24 hrs, and sometimes I need that flexibility.

Wegmans is great, but sometimes the traffic that you have to battle to get there (Fairfax or the one near Potomac Mills, for me) is just too much.

We have a lot of shopping options -- gotta admit that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 03:20 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,844,263 times
We have both a G and a HT right by our house. The one advantage HT has over G is when they have something on sale "Buy one-get one free" you can just buy one for half price. At G you have to buy the one at full price to get the one free. I jumped on a manager at G one day recently when I was there for this stupid policy and he took me to the register and had them charge me half price for the one. So they can do this if they want.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:55 AM

13,028 posts, read 19,856,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
I have never seen the words "Giant" and "cheaper" in the same sentence.

How interesting!
It seems like Giant changed something a little while ago. They're not as expensive as they used to be, from my viewpoint.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:20 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,861,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I've shopped both but now go to H-T on Lee-Harrison because it's the most convenient. (I always hated the parking situation at the Glebe H-T, as well as the high quotient of chumpy young guys and stuck-up young women. It felt like an extension of Clarendon Ballroom or something.) Giant is OK; it really depends on which one. Used to go to the one on Washington Blvd., but it's no longer convenient to where we live. Any Giant is better than Safeway, though.
When I lived in Arlington, I tried the Harris-Teeter on Glebe and got pretty much the same vibe you did -- like I wasn't cool enough to shop there or something.

Living off of Columbia Pike: 70% Giant on Adams Square and 30% Safeway (that's been torn down, I think.) I used to go to the Food Mart on George Mason/Columbia Pike until the management there gave me attitude about wanting dollar bills for a $20.

Living off of Glebe-395: 90% Giant in Shirley Park, 10% various Trader Joe's. Nothing else was anywhere convenient for me.

Living in Vienna: 70% Safeway on Nutley/29, 20% Trader Joe's, 10% Wegmans. I tried Whole Foods once and felt like a sardine. I went to the Maple Avenue Market for what I could get until they decided to start closing randomly for random breaks (plus the parking situation was just terrible). My wife boycotted Giant when they pulled a couple of frozen Indian entrees that were (by their admission) selling well.

Living in Leesburg: 50% Giant (there's two fairly convenient for me), 30% For Goodness Sake (locally-owned organic grocery), 10% Safeway, 10% Wegmans (I don't like how you have to drive through the Village at Leesburg and make a bunch of left turns to get out.)

Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 AM

301 posts, read 585,538 times
I live near Safeway on Nutley St., so unfortunately that's the store I go to the most. I say unfortunately b/c I used to live near the Giant in Falls Church on Rte 7 and Haycock and liked that store much better. I work next door to the Harris Teeter in Rockville off Rockville Pike. Personally, HT seems the most expensive but they can run some really good sales...I try to take advantage of those if possible. And the one here in Rockville has a great prepared foods section...their lunch and sub deals can't be beat (this only applies to Rockville HT...I haven't seen this at the Shirlington or Chantilly HT). And surprisingly enough, I like the sushi at this HT better than Wegmans or Whole Foods.

Wegmans is great but we rarely go there as it's just not convenient. We've started going to Vienna Whole Foods again after they remodeled their prepared foods section...it used to be really small but they significantly improved this area.

I don't think HT is better than Giant, but I like them both over Safeway...yet I go to Safeway (and Whole Foods) just b/c they're the closest to my home.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 AM

3,411 posts, read 3,198,542 times
We were recently in a HT down in NC outside of Charlotte. My DH was going to pick up some gatorade - a pack of the bottles and HT wanted over $7 for them. We shop at Bloom alot (since we are in Purcellville and the Giant is outrageous on prices) and the price there was around $5. They are building an HT here and it opens in March. I'm not sure what it will do. They have great coupon days but I'm not sure with their prices if it will do any good.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:29 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,620,837 times
I think HT is more expensive overall, but has better sales. Like Bigfoot, I love how you can buy one item at half price for the BOGO. They sometimes have great Buy 2 get 3 free deals. I like Giant's deli counter, though, as they have Boar's Head meats. Giant used to be ridiculously expensive until more supermarkets moved into the area, and they had to lower prices to keep up. They practically had a monopoly in the area back in the late 80's and early 90's.

And for all the "whole paycheck" wisecracks I hear, Whole Foods' everyday prices beat HT and Giant's prices for many basic items such as cream cheese, milk, tortillas, and bread.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:56 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,584,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
We are all lucky to be in an area where we have multiple choices for good grocery stores.

Wegmanns - (cue the doves and the "a-ha!" music). Good for EVERYTHING!! This is always where we go when we need to do a full trip (and we travel 45
customer service - they ensure that everyone can help you with everything. And they make sure that there are very short lines. I was in there the day before thanksgiving (at 3 pm) and didn't wait in line at all.
I am also near many and only use our neighborhood Giant now days for emergencies and will gladly drive by at least two other stores to Wegmans. Yes, the service. As mentioned, don't know how they do it but no matter how busy the store is there never seems to be a wait to checkout. It's always fast. Same with the parking lot, no matter how crowded it is, it doesn't take long to find someone leaving to get a spot.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:05 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,941,773 times
I agree that HT is not a great deal on its non-sale items--but I try to buy everything on sale.

BTW, the Safeway on Wilson at Greenbrier is worth a visit if only to see what a non-upscale supermarket looks like. I'll stop in there for emergency items. TONS of parking, and the employees are friendly--but Safeway overall I think is super expensive.

MichGC, that's an intriguing comment about Whole Foods. I'm tempted to check 'em out now--but only if I can rouse myself early on a weekend morning, because no way am I gonna fight the Clarendon traffic any other time.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:21 AM

62 posts, read 108,198 times
I live just west of Ballston and I find myself going to the new Safeway at seven corners for large trips, the old Safeway in Bluemont for small trips and the whole foods in Clarendon for special things. I find the HT on Glebe too expensive/too intense and I don't like Giant.
Wegmans is too far away from Ballston to consider.

I find Safeway to be far cheaper than HT, I am too lazy/busy to watch for sales.

Last edited by info781; 12-30-2011 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia