U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:45 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOCCC View Post
I am sorry that so many people who have posted, like Caladium, would like to keep children out of the town center. Children are also part of diversity and have a right to be there too.
LOL LOL, not sure how you concluded that. Here's my post....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

Even easier, next time stop at one of the many nearby playgrounds. The various clusters around Lake Anne have playgrounds, or you can go to Baron Cameron Park (a few blocks away), or to Lake Anne Elementary School. You can also let your kids play in the Plaza, but if you do so, realize that they will be sharing the space with many types of people who also like to hang out there.
how is that interpreted as meaning that I want to keep children out of the Town Center?

For one thing, Lake Anne Plaza is not Town Center, and for another, the last time I checked "sharing an area" doesn't mean keeping children out.

Since your conclusions regarding my post are mistaken, perhaps your conclusions regarding these men were also mistaken. I suspect they may not have been as threatening as you thought.

However, if they were, the answer remains the same. Go inside the Community Center and report them.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:47 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I just hope miming is banned at this park. @#!?! mimes.
LOL knowing Reston, they probably have a mime clause somewhere in the RA rules. They're probably ok.... as long as they wear Mauve!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,617,441 times
It seems that the RA will be putting up new signs soon to prohibit or at least discourage smoking:

Restonian: News blog from Reston, Virginia, the mauve-colored New Town (tm)

Old 01-02-2012, 10:57 PM

165 posts, read 173,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Since your conclusions regarding my post are mistaken, perhaps your conclusions regarding these men were also mistaken.
What is there to conclude? They were sitting and standing on the play area smoking. The posted rule it that it is a children's play area and there is no loitering. It has now taken four pages to get across that basic fact.

You have consistently tried to discourage me from taking my children to the area with posts like this.

"...if you don't feel comfortable having your child play near adults, I would suggest that Lake Anne Plaza is not where you want to take him."

I have not come close to making such an unfriendly suggestion, such as if the men cannot obey the rules that maybe they should stay out. You have certainly done all you can to argue against any rights that children may have to play without being encroached on.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It seems that the RA will be putting up new signs soon to prohibit or at least discourage smoking:

Restonian: News blog from Reston, Virginia, the mauve-colored New Town (tm)
I am obviously not the first person to face this problem then.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Well, the link about its having become a sanctuary county was from the the Carnegie-Knight Initiative on the Future of Journalism Education--hardly a right-wing group. I thought the article made a compelling case. It's no secret that Prince William has cracked down, so it's logical that anyone who was there illegally would have a good reason to go somewhere else nearby that's still affordable.
This goes back to the point of my tread. I was wondering if something was going on with Reston/Lake Anne, and it is starting to look like this is the case.

I mentioned earlier that Lake Anne had one of the greatest drops in household income for the county in the past decade (23 percent). With Reston putting up the non-smoking signs it sounds like they may have a new problem with these types of men. People who can't speak English at all like the belligerent one, or very poorly like the others are likely on the lower end of the income bracket. Think the guy who quietly landscapes your yard while the other accented one talks to you.

Either way, Reston is trying to protect its quality of life which is a good sign. Reston has strongly enforced it's rules regarding housing units, such as rubbish outside, color, etc. Maybe they can hold off a further erosion in their quality of life with human violations.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:29 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,941,773 times
BMOCCC, the one thing I can say for sure is that you would be wise to reconsider confronting these guys. I'm as confrontational as anyone (for better or for worse), but in the NOVA area, you never know who might be in a gang--and the Latino gangs here are merciless. Even if they're not in a gang, a low-income day laborer guy has less to lose than you do by getting physical. And if you confront them and basically say "Get lost," they probably feel very disrespected. I'd recommend you call the cops or the report them in the Community Center, as Caladium suggested.

Again, I agree with you that they shouldn't be smoking there. It's just a matter of weighing the risk (and stress) of confronting them versus the reward.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:54 AM

92 posts, read 168,352 times
BMOCCC was courageous to confront them. Most of us would not have the guts to do that. Don't expect the "Reston HOA" to do anything, though. (Who's behind the desk in the Community Center, anyway -- the usual little old ladies? They're not going to tell Latino loiterers to get lost, even if they thought that was their job, which I doubt they do.) Best to get out the cell phone and call the police.

I have lived in Reston for over 10 years and I have noticed a definite decline in the quality of people who congregate in Lake Anne Plaza. In the past it wasn't a place for lowlifes to hang out, but it is now. It doesn't help that the plaza itself is shabby and most of the stores sell worthless junk and unappetizing food. I would definitely discourage anyone from buying a house in the Lake Anne school district, since the rabble who hang out in the plaza have their kids in Lake Anne Elementary. If things continue the way they are, a move to a more demographically desirable area is certainly possible for us.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,617,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuster View Post
BMOCCC was courageous to confront them. Most of us would not have the guts to do that. Don't expect the "Reston HOA" to do anything, though. (Who's behind the desk in the Community Center, anyway -- the usual little old ladies? They're not going to tell Latino loiterers to get lost, even if they thought that was their job, which I doubt they do.) Best to get out the cell phone and call the police.

I have lived in Reston for over 10 years and I have noticed a definite decline in the quality of people who congregate in Lake Anne Plaza. In the past it wasn't a place for lowlifes to hang out, but it is now. It doesn't help that the plaza itself is shabby and most of the stores sell worthless junk and unappetizing food. I would definitely discourage anyone from buying a house in the Lake Anne school district, since the rabble who hang out in the plaza have their kids in Lake Anne Elementary. If things continue the way they are, a move to a more demographically desirable area is certainly possible for us.
Do folks who unabashedly refer to "the quality of people" and "more demographically desirable areas" really fit the Robert E. Simon vision anyway? You can always move further out - and then take your chances that areas that are further from job centers with congested roads and fewer public transportation options end up housing more of the people whom you're trying to escape in a few years.

From what I can tell, Lake Anne Plaza has a hard time generating enough retail business to keep all the shops thriving (although I noticed a Thai restaurant, a sports bar, a sit-down cafe and a coffee shop on a recent visit). It seems that you and BMOCCC want to attribute the retail challenges to the presence of local Hispanics, but I'd suggest that it likely has more to do with the competition from RTC and the increasing number of other retail areas now in Reston that are more visible from the main roads.

I also noticed that the census area where Lake Anne Plaza is located has a fairly high percentage of white residents. Perhaps the older white retirees on fixed incomes who live in some of the apartment buildings with units set aside for senior citizesn don't exactly rake in the bucks during a recession accompanied by low interest rates. I've previously noted that, while the Hispanic enrollment at Lake Anne ES has increased in recent years, so too has the number of White students. I'm not seeing evidence that the higher-income parents are bailing on the school.

Last edited by JD984; 01-03-2012 at 11:52 AM..

Old 01-03-2012, 11:07 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,775,140 times
Quote:
When I asked the younger man who was sitting on to move, he acted as if he did not understand English. I tried to say vamoose in Spanish but maybe he didn't understand that either.
If you asked him to leave by saying "vamoose", this comes across as very rude. No surprise that he gave you a dirty look.

I am not from Latin American but have spent some time there. Manners and asking for things politely were imperative when I was there. Any requests were typically followed with a "Por favor?" Even us gringos with limited Spanish-speaking skills understood this. In a public space, it would have been better to ask politely instead of being pushy. Even if someone does not understand another language, they get the idea of what you're saying by the tone of voice and the body language accompanying it.

The other thing is that you do not know these gentlemen nor if they had family or friends nearby (other men). You were alone with children--what would you have done then if more showed up?

Quote:
My concern is that no one is telling these folks what is acceptable. I don't know how long they had been in the country but they need to understand that this is not appropriate. I blame this on the Reston HOA.
I don't know why the blame would be on the Reston HOA. They are not going to tell anyone what is and is not acceptable.

Seems that this is a public space without delineated boundaries. the concrete blocks, as previously stated, is public art not a bounded playground area/tot lot. If the concrete blocks are open to children (by invite) and adults can smoke only a few feet away, I can understand why it's a virtual free-for-all for anyone occupying the area -- whether it is children playing, people playing chess, those walking by, or men having a smoke. People don't always notice signs and often times do not obey them when they appear confusing.

I am not siding with the men (I do not support smoking near children or frankly, anyone in general) but I think a little cultural sensitivity would have worked better in this scenario than our American snobbery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia