U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 PM

92 posts, read 168,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Do folks who unabashedly refer to "the quality of people" and "more demographically desirable areas" really fit the Robert E. Simon vision anyway?
Is there an authoritative statement of the "Robert E. Simon vision" somewhere of which I'm unaware? Because I didn't know the "Robert E. Simon vision" included having scummy-looking immigrants loitering in Lake Anne Plaza and smoking around children.

It ought to be obvious that an important purpose of the rules of Reston is to deter low-quality people from moving in, and to encourage high-quality people to do so. Is it purely an accident that you live around college-educated professionals in Reston, and not with uneducated whites or non-whites elsewhere in the region?

I also find it fascinating that your response to someone who wants to uphold the rules and common standards of Reston is that they are somehow being un-Reston and should leave Reston! Seems to me that if you like loitering Hispanics, you ought to move to Sterling while I stay where I am.

Quote:
It seems that you and BMOCCC want to attribute the retail challenges to the presence of local Hispanics, but I'd suggest that it likely has more to do with the competition from RTC and the increasing number of other retail areas now in Reston that are more visible from the main roads.
The lowlifes loiter in Lake Anne Plaza and not at the other retail areas because the apartments where the loiterers live are within walking distance of Lake Anne and not of the other shopping plazas. Get rid of those apartments, build some high-end housing, and you solve both problems at once; the loiterers are gone, and people with money to spend are within walking distance of Lake Anne. Do I really need to say that businesses are more likely to succeed when located in close proximity to people with money to spend? Or that people with money to spend don't like to be around loitering lowlifes?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,714,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuster View Post
Is there an authoritative statement of the "Robert E. Simon vision" somewhere of which I'm unaware?
"In the creation of Reston, Virginia, these are the major goals:
  1. That the widest choice of opportunities be made available for the full use of leisure time. This means that the New Town should provide a wide range of cultural and recreational facilities as well as an environment for privacy.
  2. That it be possible for anyone to remain in a single neighborhood throughout his life, uprooting being neither inevitable nor always desirable. By providing the fullest range of housing styles and prices -- from high-rise efficiencies to 6-bedroom townhouses and detached houses -- housing needs can be met at a variety of income levels and at different stages of family life. This kind of mixture permits residents to remain rooted in the community if they so choose -- as their particular housing needs change. As a by-product, this also results in the heterogeneity that spells a lively and varied community.
  3. That the importance and dignity of each individual be the focal point for all planning, and take precedence for large-scale concepts.
  4. That the people be able to live and work in the same community.
  5. That commercial, cultural and recreational facilities be made available to the residents from the outset of the development -- not years later.
  6. That beauty -- structural and natural -- is a necessity of the good life and should be fostered.
  7. Since Reston is being developed from private enterprise, in order to be completed as conceived it must also, of course, be a financial success. "

Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,641,159 times
Here's the master plan - an additional reference to the desire to include housing for different income levels appears at p.12 of the PDF:

http://www.restonmuseum.org/main_/images/masterPlan.pdf

I would think that most people moving to Reston would understand that, by design, it's more racially and economically diverse than most places in the DC area and that calling low-income residents "lowlifes" just reveals their own lack of decency. Maybe not.

You could bulldoze Lake Anne Plaza and build new apartments there that would fit in comfortably in Clarendon (there are a number of them already), but that would gut Reston's historic core. If you really live there, and actually care about the quality of life around Lake Anne, why not get involved in the ongoing efforts to renovate it, rather than just revel in saying harsh things about other residents?

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/projects/lakeanne.htm

I've read that Portofino in Italy was the inspiration for Lake Anne Plaza. While that may been too ambitious a model, the point remains that a primary goal was to create a gathering spot where residents could come and relax. If Hispanics do this, though, you think it's OK to call them "loitering lowlifes." Just wondering if you'd use the same language if it was some other group.

Last edited by JD984; 01-03-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 12:59 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,800,673 times
Quote:
If you really live there, and actually care about the quality of life around Lake Anne, why not get involved in the ongoing efforts to renovate it, rather than just revel in saying harsh things about other residents?
I agree 100%. Where I live, one of the city development committees asked residents to volunteer for the committee (which reviews new businesses and restoration projects). One of my neighbors, an IT-yuppie type is on the committee. Another neighbor (a former felon who served his time), is also on the committee. I was really glad to see this.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:16 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,975,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuster View Post
Is it purely an accident that you live around college-educated professionals in Reston, and not with uneducated whites or non-whites elsewhere in the region?
People With a College Degree:

Mohammed Atta
Jerry Sandusky
Rod Blagojevich (nowhere near as bad a human being as the latter two, but still...)
Ted Kaczynski (a Ph.D., no less)

No Degree:

Bill Gates
Salvatore Giunta (recent Medal of Honor recipient)
Bono
Jesus
Gandhi

Look, I happen to have a college degree too. But we need to get past this fetishization of higher education; a degree doesn't make you smarter, classier, more law-abiding, or more productive than anyone else. Hopefully it makes you more knowledgeable, but that's it.

Liberals: George W. Bush went to Yale.

Conservatives: Barack Obama went to Harvard.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 01-03-2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM

639 posts, read 1,151,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

Mohammed Atta
Jerry Sandusky
Rod Blagojevich (nowhere near as bad a human being as the latter two, but still...)
Ted Kaczinski

No Degree:

Bill Gates
Bono
Jesus
Gandhi

Look, I happen to have a college degree too. But we need to get past this fetishization of higher education; a degree doesn't make you smarter, classier, more law-abiding, or more productive than anyone else. Hopefully it makes you more knowledgeable, but that's it.

What??? Jesus doesn't have a degree?? Get outta town!!

Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,975,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
What??? Jesus doesn't have a degree?? Get outta town!!
He was also low-income, basically a transient, and frequently in trouble with the law! Probably not a smoker, though.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

Mohammed Atta
Jerry Sandusky
Ted Kaczynski (a Ph.D., no less)

No Degree:

Bill Gates
Bono
Jesus
Gandhi

Gandhi studied law at University College, London. I don't suppose a degree was needed to become a lawyer in England at the time.

Bill Gates attended Harvard before dropping out to pursue an unexpected software contract opportunity, IIUC. Today, IIUC, its not easy to get a job as a programmer at Microsoft without having a degree, and actually being a comp sci major. If you from one of a handful of schools with particularly strong programs it helps.

as for Jesus, given the limited source material outside the NT (whose historicity Id rather not challenge here) its hard to say, but he is widely held by Christians to have been an expert in Jewish law. To do so for mere mortals requires extensive formal education, though not a college degree. Personally Ive met enough people with extensive training in Jewish law but no college degree, to have been strongly impressed with the value of a college degree in making someone more broadminded and insightful.

I dont have anything in particular to say about Bono.

more on topic Robert Simon graduated from Harvard.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:49 PM

92 posts, read 168,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"In the creation of Reston, Virginia, these are the major goals:
  1. That the widest choice of opportunities be made available for the full use of leisure time. This means that the New Town should provide a wide range of cultural and recreational facilities as well as an environment for privacy.
  2. That it be possible for anyone to remain in a single neighborhood throughout his life, uprooting being neither inevitable nor always desirable. By providing the fullest range of housing styles and prices -- from high-rise efficiencies to 6-bedroom townhouses and detached houses -- housing needs can be met at a variety of income levels and at different stages of family life. This kind of mixture permits residents to remain rooted in the community if they so choose -- as their particular housing needs change. As a by-product, this also results in the heterogeneity that spells a lively and varied community.
  3. That the importance and dignity of each individual be the focal point for all planning, and take precedence for large-scale concepts.
  4. That the people be able to live and work in the same community.
  5. That commercial, cultural and recreational facilities be made available to the residents from the outset of the development -- not years later.
  6. That beauty -- structural and natural -- is a necessity of the good life and should be fostered.
  7. Since Reston is being developed from private enterprise, in order to be completed as conceived it must also, of course, be a financial success. "
Hey hey, "allow scummy-looking lowlifes to loiter in the Plaza and smoke around children" is NOT on the list!

Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM

James Rouse, OTOH, graduated from Univ of Md law school, after completing only two years of college (enough to get into law school in those days) so a BA from an Ivy league school is clearly NOT necessary to be the visionary developer of a planned community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia