U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 04:38 PM

30 posts, read 78,914 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering buying a house in Manassas Park and we both work in Arlington - we know the commute is not going to be fun.

I think maybe there are three options:

1. 28N to 66E/50/29. There will be two of us in the car so at least we get HOV on 66, but I know 28N is terrible too.

2. PW Pkwy to 95N (maybe pick up a slug - is there a slug stop at PW Pkwy and 95?)

3. Yates Ford/Clifton Rd/Burke Lake/OKM through to 95 or other back roads.

What do you think is the best option? Any of them manageable in an hour or less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,505 times
Have you and your wife considered taking the Virgina Railway Express VRE from Manassas Park to a Metro station? I would say that's the best way. Manassas Park City Council is also considering creating a bus lane on Route 28 that would transport people from Manassas Park to the metro station in Vienna. I suggest you post this question on the Manassas Park Patch, the local newspaper and online community forum that the people there use. Manassaspark.patch.com. Or, you can submit your question as a Letter to the Editor (me) and I'll post it as my weekly question to readers. They usually leave some good comments.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:31 PM

Hi Jamie, thanks for your reply and suggestion. I will definitely send it in.

I have looked into VRE and though it seems a good option timewise, the $430/month it would cost us for two passes is about double what we spend on gas now (since we drive in together). But perhaps that's just something we'd have to factor in to the cost of living out there.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 AM

2,879 posts, read 6,820,114 times
Did you consider Sterling Park? Might be in the price range you need and would be somewhat easier to commute...but still a bear. What about Braddock Rd., Sleepy Hollow, 7 Corners, 50?

Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Did you consider Sterling Park? Might be in the price range you need and would be somewhat easier to commute...but still a bear. What about Braddock Rd., Sleepy Hollow, 7 Corners, 50?
We did look in Sterling, and South Riding too.. all pretty comparable price wise, and we definitely saw some stuff we liked there. But we are limited to being a bit further south though because my mother-in-law does all our childcare and she lives in Lake Ridge - asking her to drive to Sterling and back every day would be too much.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,111 times
Hi Liam. I'm a Manassas Park resident. I think you will enjoy living here! My husband commutes every morning to the Pentagon. I asked him about your commute and he suggested going 66 as far as you can. He says at 5:30am for instance (when he does drive in), 66 really moves pretty well. The biggest headache is Route 28 (taking you from Manassas Park to 66). I understand there is a big push now to improve traffic flow on Route 28, which will hopefully address this. I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you have about Manassas Park. JournalismJamie is right - Manassas Park Patch is a great place to go for info on our little city and to connect with your neighbors.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charactercountsKris View Post
Hi Liam. I'm a Manassas Park resident. I think you will enjoy living here! My husband commutes every morning to the Pentagon. I asked him about your commute and he suggested going 66 as far as you can. He says at 5:30am for instance (when he does drive in), 66 really moves pretty well. The biggest headache is Route 28 (taking you from Manassas Park to 66). I understand there is a big push now to improve traffic flow on Route 28, which will hopefully address this. I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you have about Manassas Park. JournalismJamie is right - Manassas Park Patch is a great place to go for info on our little city and to connect with your neighbors.
Hi Kris - thanks for responding (and apparently for joining the forum to respond)!

We're going to test out a couple options this week. I guess we'll try 66 first, but there's no way we'd be leaving that early - unfortunately we'll pretty much be in the thick of it. My wife has to stay at her office until 5pm at the earliest, so we'd be trying to arrive between 8:30am-9:00pm. I know it's bad then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia