U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,415,864 times

Advertisements

The OP said her agency will be moving out of DC--presumably in fewer than five years. I second ersatz's suggestion that the OP rent, to become familiar with the area AND so that she is not locked into the location if it will soon mean that she will then be living far from work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 2,425 times
I've lived in Winchester for over a year now so I've grown a bit accustomed to this quiet little life after work. Being anywhere in NoVA is sure to be ten million times more exciting at point so I don't mind the "boring suburbs."

Nope, no children here.

I've been looking at that area, Lucky though I don't know whether its considered safe or not because I've never lived in Reston before.

I've also glanced over at this http://www.redfin.com/VA/Herndon/479...0/home/9192857 and it fits but again, not really sure if its a safe option since I don't know the area all too well. I just know where to avoid living around Bailey's Crossroads in that region to be honest.

But again, I appreciate everyone's recommendations and will give it thought!

Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,146,172 times
A TH on 220-260k would be problematic on an income of 52k unless you're guaranteed an increase to 70-80k a year.

I'd look -- in your shoes -- to rent a TH with a roommate or two in Old Town Alexandria. Close to work, and it seems Old Town is more up your alley -- Orange Line Arlington is stereotypically 20-something partiers whereas Old Town is a little more sedate/age mixed. The other areas -- Herndon, Reston, Sterling, etc., are more family-oriented; of these, Reston is your best bet IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia