Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,508 times

Advertisements

Good day everyone! I'm in a bit of frenzy kicking off my home search and being a first time home buyer. Just to throw out some demographics - I'm a single 24 yr old career woman looking for a safe place to live/own. (This kind of sounds like a dating ad lol!) But, from the poking around that I've done, general places I've been told to look at are Sterling, Herndon, Centreville, Reston and Chantilly. I will be commuting to St. Pickett St in Alexandria for work everyday and to throw down a little bit more info, I'm currently making around 52k and want to aim for a comfortable townhouse at around 220k to 260k. Any recommendations?

Many thanks and a happy new years to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
That commute would be a bit of a haul. You can definitely find something south of Old Town (Belle View) within your budget--like this unit. Belle View is near a golf course and a bucolic little boating area.

Or even north of Old Town, just south of Potomac Yard--e.g., this place on Bashford Lane. (A nice area--we have friends who used to live there.) Or this one--same street but one more bedroom and for less money.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM

Yeah, to be honest, the only reason why I'm welling to do it is because I'm working a ridiculously early shift (6 am BUT I get out at 2:30 pm...) and I'm hoping I won't have to run over people getting to Alexandria. Hopefully. If I do end up living in Herndon, I'm holding out for the wonderous~possibly might happen silver line that might get out there someday? There's also the fact that the fed govt (I work for a govt agency) is planning on moving out of DC so I had to factor that into staying around within those locations.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:11 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,401,660 times
Millermelly

Congratulations on your new job and your home search. I assume from your posting that you are not currently living in the area so are not familiar with it? A quick suggestion: consider renting for a year in one of the local apartment or townhome communities so you can get a feel for the neighborhoods at your leisure. As they say "Buy in haste and repent at leisure." In your price range you will probably be looking at the Woodbridge or Dumfries area. Neighborhoods can be spotty. Consider a condo and you will expand your options.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,152,762 times
It would be a shame for a single 24-year-old woman to live in Herndon. Just sayin'. I second the rental suggestion. There are plenty of decent apartments much closer to where you'll be working.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
Guys, a five-minute search has yielded three nice little condos within her budget, all in safe areas close to Old Town. I think that's much more in sync with a single lifestyle than those other areas.

Basically, the farther out you go from DC, the more family-oriented it gets, with a few exceptions.

I actually think buying right now makes tons of sense. If she buys cheap, the interest rates can't get any lower, and she'll make her money back (and probably more) if she holds onto it for five years.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 PM

I actually grew up in Falls Church around the Culmore area so I've lived through some of the worse that this place has to offer. I will actually be renting for awhile until November/December of this year to save up a downpayment and to scope out the prospects. I'll be around that area again since I'm rooming with a friend and paying 300 dollars a month incl. utilities.

I've seen a good number of townhouses around Centreville, Herndon and Sterling with my point range. Are those not good locations? I don't mind the commute so much - though it will be hell considering how I commute like 3 minutes up the road for work now. I'm hoping that my leaving at 5 am in the morning will allow enough time to get to work in Alexandria? I'm also expected to get the next bump up to 62k by October.

Also, I guess I left a few things out, I'm find with going into town to experience the nightlife. I have more than enough friends where I can crash at if necessary but I'm not much of a drinker/party-er. Basically, I don't need it at my door steps b/c JMU was crazy enough for me that I'm still burning from the scars, lol.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
The best thing you can do around here is live near where you work.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:29 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,782 times
How about this?

2371 SOUTHGATE SQ, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

If phase 2 of the silver line goes through, then it would be pretty close to the Reston Parkway station-

Dulles Metrorail - Reston Parkway (http://www.dullesmetro.com/stations/reston.cfm - broken link)

It’s a short walk to the commuter bus for now (585)-

North County Route Schedules and Maps*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Old 01-03-2012, 07:30 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
I second and third all the suggestions to look around Old Town in the Bashford Lane or Bellevue areas, not only because it's closer to where you work but because it's just nicer. There are more things to do for young, single people and it's more interesting, more walkable, and prettier than the outer burbs you mentioned. As long as you don't have a child you need to send to school there, I can't see any reason not to live in Alexandria unless you just really love boring suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia