U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 08:57 AM

118 posts, read 179,180 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

I have a small issue with my current job search. Have you been in a situation that a company calls you a week after the job interview and offers you the job, but you have yet to receiver the official offer letter??

I was offered a job by a government contractor based in Fairfax VA, but I haven't receive the offer letter. The position is permanent and its based at the federal government client's site in Alexandria Va.

Does anyone has any thoughts on this current issue?

Note: There is more the story on this issue, but I like to see some thoughts from everyone before I add more details.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,128,397 times
All I can say is that this has never happened to me. I always got the offer letter within a few days of the verbal offer.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 AM

3,779 posts, read 2,994,985 times
How long has it been since the verbal offer?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
How long has it been since the verbal offer?
I got the verbal offer two weeks ago, on the week before Christmas. That's the time of year when most of the HR staff and project managers are out of the office.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,627,469 times
Why don't you call the company and ask about the offer letter? A call would confirm that you are seriously interested in the company.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 AM

3,779 posts, read 2,994,985 times
Frankly I would have been all over it within 2 days. Did they tell you when to expect it? Time to follow up. Don't make any plans until you get the offer in writing.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:13 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,385,884 times
I would call them today to inquire about it. I also would not take any steps (i.e. giving notice at my current job) before I had the letter in hand.

Have you tried to contact them in the past two weeks?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 AM

Here is more details to this story.

The job that the government contractor offered me was supposed to be permanent and based 100% on the federal government's client site in Alexandria. However, the contract between the client and the company expires in 3 months, so this position they offered me won't exist by the end of March.

The recruiter who offered me the job two weeks ago, never knew that this position was expiring in 3 months until I told her about it over the phone on the day of the verbal job offer. She thought that this position was permanent at 100% based in Alexandria. She tried to follow up with the hiring manager, but the hiring manager wasn't in the Alexandria office because he had meetings at the client's site office in D.C.

I did follow up with her via email and phone on the week after Christmas, but she was on vacation.

Finally, on Tuesday, the recruiter responded to my email and she did confirm with the HM that the position was only for 3 months. She did apologized and she told me that's she finding me another project after the 3 months at the client's office. Once they found the project, they will send me the official offer letter.

Basically, the recruiting and HR department at the government contractor company made a major mistake on the job posting. They thought that the position they offered me was permanent and they never knew it was a 3 month contract in the first place.

This ongoing situation is very strange. I have never been in this position before, but there is still a great chance that it can be resolved very quickly. There are lot of projects at this company, so it shouldn't really take long at all. If nothing happens today, then I will call them tomorrow to get an offer letter status update.

As for my part time position, I haven't given up my current position yet. I told my boss that I won't resign until I get the official offer letter in writing and he's understands my situation.

Last edited by slaminjamin87; 01-05-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 01-05-2012, 03:40 PM

480 posts, read 806,018 times
Although the OPs situation has been updated. There has been some good advice on this thread. As an IT contractor, I can tell you that a verbal offer from a head hunting company is worthless. I always keep hunting at full speed until I have something in writing (and even then it still can fall through)

Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,126,238 times
You do not have an offer at all. And will not until you have the letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia