Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,313,496 times

Advertisements

What about a nice townhouse? You can find a good townhouse, older, but potentially renovated, in a good school zone, like West Springfield for around $400k. An older house in West Springfield can also be found in that price range, as well, closer to the $400k mark, but still not a bad value, considering the convenience and Fairfax County schools. You may even find an older, smaller house near Woodson HS for around $400k, though it may not have been updated, but the area is very good, both for convenience and schools. I am, of course, thinking that your commute is better served by Fairfax County, as in a District or Tysons commute, but there are some great areas where you may find a good townhouse or smaller single-family house without adding a marathon commute to the responsibilities of being a parent.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 PM

100 posts, read 219,407 times
You also can occasionally find smaller SFHs (built in the 70s) in Herndon (20170) and Oak Hill (20171) for under $400,000.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 AM

3 posts, read 9,793 times
Default Thank you

Thank you all for your responses, however, the owner of the house took it off the market. I have been looking for almost a year and the houses I could afford were involved in bidding wars or others (2 or more income families) who got contracts on the houses were stronger in their ability to provide reserve funding, and in the eyes of banks, are more likely not to default on loans.

I work in DC, but can't afford living within proximity of DC, Montgomery County MD, or Fairfax County VA prices; my son has a disability so there has to be wheelchair accommodations (most apartments, townhouses, condos don't accommodate).

I found a house in Wellington/Cloverhill that we might be able to afford, (fingers crossed) but the commute to work is 45 miles...which I will have to get used to.

Anyone familiar with that area? Any shortcut to DC other than Route 66?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 AM

3 posts, read 9,793 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Where is this house at exactly? I live only 2 miles from GTS and have been in this home since 86. I'm in a very safe and quiet neighborhood.
The house is on Gregory's Grove. The owners took the house off the market, but I found another one (5 other contracts on the house) in the Wellington/Cloverhill area. I work in DC so it is 45 miles from work. I was told by real estate agents, friends, and coworkers that it is better to live in a house I love and drive the commute than to live in a house I hate.

I know there are townhouses and condos closer to DC for less than 400K (actually, that is what I qualify for, not what I am comfortable paying) but they either didn't accommodate my son's needs, they were high in HOA fees and high in price, or required a lot of maintenance, repair which I can't afford.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:56 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,416,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnativegirl View Post
Any shortcut to DC other than Route 66?
Nope. If you work in DC you really need to look into renting something closer in or buying something small like an older townhome/condo if you "need" to own. Any apartment building built in the last twenty years will be handicapped accessible.

There are no shortcuts and the commute from Manassas/PW will crush your soul. Expect 90 minutes to 2 hours depending on time of day...each way.

A real estate agent telling you you should buy a house? There's a first. You can always update or expand a house. You can't change your commute without moving or changing jobs. I know several people that moved to PWC and ended up changing jobs to something closer because they couldn't take the commute and selling a home after two years is a LOT of money out the window.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:57 AM

335 posts, read 798,825 times
You might want to consider a townhouse in Manassas Park. Nice area, good schools (from what I hear) and there are many newer 3-4 BR THs for sale right now under $300K. The Manassas Park VRE line goes to Union Station. I used to commute to Arlington from the MP VRE station but I had to change over to the Metro at King St. and it added time to my trip (60 mins going in, up to 80 going home). But at least I didn't have to drive and park and my employer gave me a public transportation allowance.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:40 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,191,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnativegirl View Post
The house is on Gregory's Grove. The owners took the house off the market, but I found another one (5 other contracts on the house) in the Wellington/Cloverhill area. I work in DC so it is 45 miles from work. I was told by real estate agents, friends, and coworkers that it is better to live in a house I love and drive the commute than to live in a house I hate.

I know there are townhouses and condos closer to DC for less than 400K (actually, that is what I qualify for, not what I am comfortable paying) but they either didn't accommodate my son's needs, they were high in HOA fees and high in price, or required a lot of maintenance, repair which I can't afford.
45 miles from Cloverhill? It's only about 30 miles to the DC line from here or are you talking about where you live now?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 AM

10 posts, read 16,048 times
Bigfoot is right, it's only about 30 miles to DC from Cloverhill. The traffic will still make your life a living hell though. You can pickup VRE from Old Town and take that into DC where you can switch to Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia