U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2012, 01:23 AM
 
10 posts, read 9,439 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Thank you very much for the responses. I will be using the Kingman Gate. Arlington would be the best option for me but I don't really want to drive for longer than 15 - 20 minutes. Could you recommend an apartment/condo complex that is in old town Alexandria? I found a lot of them on craigslist but I don't know where they are all located and I will only have 3 days to find a place. Mahalo (thank you)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 AM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii-1234 View Post
Thank you very much for the responses. I will be using the Kingman Gate. Arlington would be the best option for me but I don't really want to drive for longer than 15 - 20 minutes. Could you recommend an apartment/condo complex that is in old town Alexandria? I found a lot of them on craigslist but I don't know where they are all located and I will only have 3 days to find a place. Mahalo (thank you)
I don't know specific complexes, but if you Google their addresses, you can pinpoint where they are and even use Google Streetview to see what they look like. Near the water is good, as is near Washington Street (which turns into GW Memorial Parkway). Closer to Route 1 on the northern end, you have some low-income housing. The north side near the Trader Joe's (near Pendleton St.) is nice.

Also, if you share the names of the complexes here, some folks may have inside information to share.

Old Town is basically everything east of the Masonic Temple but north of (guessing here) Alfred Street and south of I would say 2nd Street (and that's the far reaches). At least, when I drive through it, those are what seem like the obvious boundaries. The busiest areas as far as foot traffic and shopping are closer to King Street and/or near the Torpedo Factory Arts Center. Up north along the water is probably quieter.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 01-09-2012 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Reputation: 6824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Old Town is basically everything east of the Masonic Temple but north of (guessing here) Alfred Street and south of I would say 2nd Street (and that's the far reaches). At least, when I drive through it, those are what seem like the obvious boundaries. The busiest areas as far as foot traffic and shopping are closer to King Street and/or near the Torpedo Factory Arts Center. Up north along the water is probably quieter.
It extends quite a bit further South than Alfred - all the way to Cameron Run and the border with Fairfax County. I'd say the North end is around Slaters Lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 AM
 
5,329 posts, read 6,119,899 times
Reputation: 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It extends quite a bit further South than Alfred - all the way to Cameron Run and the border with Fairfax County. I'd say the North end is around Slaters Lane.
Alfred runs north-south, so maybe "east of Alfred" was meant? One of Alexandria's Facebook pages has a recent post, "remember when Old Town stopped at Washington Street?", referring to the fact that upper King St used not to be renovated to the standard of lower King St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Alfred runs north-south, so maybe "east of Alfred" was meant? One of Alexandria's Facebook pages has a recent post, "remember when Old Town stopped at Washington Street?", referring to the fact that upper King St used not to be renovated to the standard of lower King St.
Alexandria, VA - Google Maps

Looks like Alfred does curve and go north south at one point--but where it crosses GWMP (which is where I encounter it), it's obviously an east-west street. That crossing is where the dense downtown area seems to begin (at least along GWMP), after you leave the golf course/Dyke Marsh area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 PM
 
27 posts, read 50,008 times
Reputation: 24
Old town is one option, but consider some of the condos or townhouses right next to the Kingstowne Towne Center. If you are part of the Kingstowne HOA, you will have access to pools in the summer, and you'll be in walking distance to a variety of eateries. There is also a theater and you'll have a super short commute. (like the 15 min. you were hoping for). It's not highrise living... but it has great walkability and trees and playgrounds as well as a pool and you'll be close to the "My Gym" for classes that are great for preschoolers. You also have a couple of good day care centers if you need that -- Little Acorn Patch and Northern Va. Academy (close to Belvoir). You will be close to the Van Dorn Metro (but not walking distance), and always a plus to be close to a Babies R Us/Toys R Us and grocery stores.

Cameron Station might be a good option for you too b/c they have a lot of amenities and a good commute. I'm sure they have lots of activities in the community and lots of walkability. Not as good for walking to restaurants, but a pretty nice place if you aren't concerned about schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 PM
 
10 posts, read 9,439 times
Reputation: 12
Thank you very very much.. I was able to find 3 apartment complexes around the Kingstowne area. One of them is Edgemoore but it is just an apartment complex. I am not interested in townhouses. I am concerned about the stairs. What about the high rise condos on Eisenhower ? Carlyle? Meridian and such.. I truly appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 04:21 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
Reputation: 3857
I used to work on John Carlyle, near Duke Street. It's a nice area. Kind of on the outskirts of Old Town but still walkable to everything there. (And there's a lot more nearby than there was.)

The Eisenhower area is right around the corner but I believe is considered a separate area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 07:41 PM
 
10 posts, read 9,439 times
Reputation: 12
Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 AM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii-1234 View Post
Thank you!!!
You're welcome! (If "Aloha" is both "hello" and "goodbye," then is "mahalo" also "thank you" and "you're welcome"? Like "bitte" in German is "please" and "you're welcome"?)

If you're wanting the walkable urban lifestyle, the closer you are to the main part of Old Town (east of the Masonic Temple), the happier you'll be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top