U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:36 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,083,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Now I'm jealous. I grew up near the Jersey Shore, lived in a town full of lakes, and always nearby a wetland, swamp, bog, or giant river. I do miss the water sometimes. Guess I'll have to put up with the mountains tho . . . .
I'll take the mountains. I love a good swim but the mountains are enjoyable year round.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:19 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,980,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Now I'm jealous. I grew up near the Jersey Shore...
Can we call you The Stixuation?

Old 01-20-2012, 03:24 PM

429 posts, read 1,010,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Well, RamblingMan, you're making a strong case for PG, I must admit, the crazy gun/alcohol laws, mayoral-dog-shooting police departments, and crappy schools notwithstanding. (Re. the taxes: I wonder if the lower property taxes in MD are made up for by the higher income tax.) I'm very surprised to hear you can get to DC in 35 minutes.

I will further admit that I've often wondered if Mrs. Carlingtonian and I could buy a place in Accokeek, from which I could paddle a kayak to Ft. Belvoir, where I work. Most likely, I would probably find myself arrested by the Coast Guard--who might then issue the English equivalent of "Vada a bordo, cazzzo!"
Fort Belvoir has a marina, so I don't see why you couldn't commute by boat. I'm considering commuting to my job in DC by boat at least once just on general principle.

If I worked at Fort Belvoir, I would be looking at waterfront homes on the Virginia side of the Potomac starting South of Mount Vernon and heading down as far south as I would consider a tolerable commute. There are a lot of nice properties around there with an easy commute to Fort Belvoir. The commute into DC just seemed too painful to me.

Keep in mind that if you go kayaking on the Potomac anywhere south of Belle Haven down to about Fort Belvoir, you're hanging out in PG County. Maryland basically owns the main stem of the Potomac past the low water mark. That part of PG County is pretty much free of crime and mayoral-dog-shooting. The schools and taxes are the same, though.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,980,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
But fried okra is so yummy!
At last we agree on something! You're making me hungry....Does anybody else from Texas miss Grandy's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
Fort Belvoir has a marina, so I don't see why you couldn't commute by boat. I'm considering commuting to my job in DC by boat at least once just on general principle.
Indeed it does! But the one marina is on Dogue Creek (closer to Route 1), and the other (on the Potomac) I believe is for military officers only, well inside the officer-housing area. (There's a sign warning others to stay out.)

Quote:
If I worked at Fort Belvoir, I would be looking at waterfront homes on the Virginia side of the Potomac starting South of Mount Vernon and heading down as far south as I would consider a tolerable commute.
Man, I am right with you on that. I love that whole area between Mt. Vernon and Old Town. I drive through it every day. If Mrs. Tonian didn't have to drive into downtown DC every day, I would be bucking for us to move there.

Quote:
Keep in mind that if you go kayaking on the Potomac anywhere south of Belle Haven down to about Fort Belvoir, you're hanging out in PG County. Maryland basically owns the main stem of the Potomac past the low water mark. That part of PG County is pretty much free of crime and mayoral-dog-shooting. The schools and taxes are the same, though.
In that case, I will bring the dog on the kayak but leave my checkbook at home!

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 01-20-2012 at 03:53 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 11:55 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,440,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
OK! Perhaps I am wrong, then. I have not actually done a survey of black doctors, so if you (and TechLawyer) say you have a bunch of them near you in PG, then OK.

I admit that I have just that assumption that you described--because it seems like if housing cost is no object and there is not a desire necessarily to be in a majority-black neighborhood, then PG's higher taxes, greater proximity to higher-crime areas, and (generally/reportedly/arguably) more struggling school systems would make NoVA a more attractive choice.

But I'm glad you like it there. I recall Clinton is nice; the wife and I picked okra there once at some farm.
Agree but there is concern for affluent Black parents that does not exist for white parents that throws this calculus on its head, identity issues of their children.

Prince George’s County: Growing, and growing more segregated, census shows - The Washington Post

Quote:
The black business executive, who could afford to live just about anywhere, moved from North Bethesda to Bowie four years ago with his wife, Florence.

To appreciate some of the reasons why, go back to the small town in southwestern Virginia where Crockett was one of only four black students in his graduating class.

An elementary school teacher once ordered a white classmate not to share her scissors with Crockett, and his high school hosted a “slave day,” auctioning off athletes to raise money.

“It was horrible,” said Crockett, 49.

As an adult, he yearned for a place where he could feel proud of who he is, where race isn’t everything, and where he and his family would live around other upwardly mobile blacks.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:51 PM

13 posts, read 35,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Seriously. It just get's old after a while. Why the self-segregation? You're a 31 year old physician, do you really think you're that different from white people in your same income level? Seems the same to me
VTHokieFan
If you read back to one of my previous posts I clearly stated that in the end I would choose neighbors with similar economic status over race. I think that over the past 2 weeks 99% of posters have understood my concerns and I have received excellent advice and supportive comments.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:13 PM

560 posts, read 1,110,224 times
The only color that truly matters-

Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Old 01-22-2012, 01:22 PM

13 posts, read 35,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I truly get offended at being called "non-diverse" just because I'm white.
I never made this statement. There have been many insightful comments over the past 2 weeks made by whites who did not take offense to my original post.

Last edited by July2012; 01-22-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 01-23-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
But fried okra is so yummy!

Do you worry about flooding being right on the Potomac?
My property slopes up from the river and my house is on the upper end, so flooding is not an issue. My mortgage lender doesn't even require flood insurance. This is a good question to ask anytime you're looking at waterfront property, though.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by July2012 View Post
I never made this statement. There have been many insightful comments over the past 2 weeks made by whites who did not take offense to my original post.

July2012,

Anybody who took offense at your original post probably didn't read it very carefully. I hope you find a place that works for you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or