U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,771 posts, read 10,674,733 times
Reputation: 2498

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
And, while Arlington residents seem comfortable calling themselves "progressive," they haven't been particularly concerned with the fact that the number of low-income and/or Black and Hispanic residents in the county has steadily declined.
Actually all the most current board candidates (for favola's vacated seat) have expressed concerns about retaining affordable housing, AFAICT. So that DOES seem to be on the agenda.


Here is the viewpoint of one candidate :



Melissa Bondi:
I think the most pressing issue is to mitigate the continued threats to, and losses in, Arlington's affordable housing stock. A significant portion of our diverse Arlington population, from immigrants to seniors to persons with disabilities and young families need access to safe, decent affordable housing.
Interestingly Ms Bondi has been associated with the Coalition for Smart Growth.


Its interesting that DC progressives are attacked for not worrying enough about how much poverty is in DC. Arlington progressives are attacked for not worrying that the amount of poverty is decreasing.

AFAIK Arlington still has a higher percentage of poor folks, and of blacks (and maybe also hispanics?) than most of the middle and outer suburban jurisdicitions in NoVa. So if the goal is integration - wouldnt the change above be a good thing? Progressive? Im not sure. I am not one of those people who think that concentrating the poor in a few central jurisdictions is the optimal pattern. Also given the movement of jobs out to the suburbs, it seems natural that a higher proportion of the poor would move that way. It may make sense of for a recent college grad to reverse commute from Clarendon to Tysons or beyond, but why would a poor family reverse commute from an apt in arlington when there is affordable housing in Fairfax? If there is NOT affordable housing in Fairfax, then perhaps Fairfax residents might address that before lecturing Arlington residents on what they should or should not call themselves.

I would also note that while our current board in Fairfax supports the provision of affordable housing, that has been a matter of some controversy (as it has not been in Arlington, AFAIK). I also cannot imagine a candidate for the board in FFX saying that was his highest priority - (and not only because FFX doesnt have the same threat to its affordable housing stock that Arlington does). If this difference were only because FFX residents thought the problem of poverty should be addressed more directly, with income transfers, or a transformation of a labor market that has caused widening wage differentials, rather than through the provision of affordable housing I might just say they were DLC progressives, instead of "progressives" However that is not my impression. Therefore, I think as far as the issue of providing affordable housing is concerned, Arlington is at least as "progressive" as any jurisdiction in NoVa.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 01-10-2012 at 09:48 AM..

 
Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,771 posts, read 10,674,733 times
Reputation: 2498
To the OP

I have met black professional people in a number of contexts around Fairfax County. I cannot think off the top of my head of any area where they particularly tend to be concentrated. I appreciate that simply knowing the number of blacks in CDP, will not necessarily help you find the kind of community you are looking for. Others have mentioned Reston - I might look at Kingstowne, another diverse planned community.
 
Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 AM
 
2,670 posts, read 4,519,607 times
Reputation: 2117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
McLean's more diverse these days than many of the areas in North Arlington, which are now the whitest areas in the DC region. It is probably less likely, however, that people there will call themselves "progressive." Personally, I'd say it's similar to parts of Arlington, where I also lived years ago, but perhaps slightly less self-congratulatory. But that's OK, because it's not necessarily easy to find things that make McLean residents seem modest in comparison.
What's "self-congratulatory" in any of the posts on this thread? If you are reacting to "progressives", would you also say that anyone who labels himself/herself as "conservative" is being "self-congratulatory"?

People here are simply trying to provide inputs, facts, anecdotes, etc., that the OP can use or dismiss in making her own decisions.
 
Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 AM
 
5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Reputation: 2722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
What's "self-congratulatory" in any of the posts on this thread? If you are reacting to "progressives", would you also say that anyone who labels himself/herself as "conservative" is being "self-congratulatory"?

People here are simply trying to provide inputs, facts, anecdotes, etc., that the OP can use or dismiss in making her own decisions.
It's what I'm trying to do as well. I think the OP would be welcome in both communities, but that the mindset in Arlington is such that white people there probably will pat themselves on the back a bit more for having neighbors who are Black professionals. In any event, I'm sure she appreciates being wooed by all of us.

Last edited by JD984; 01-10-2012 at 10:00 AM..
 
Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 AM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,738 posts, read 8,940,261 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
McLean's more diverse these days than many of the areas in North Arlington, which are now the whitest areas in the DC region.
If "many of the areas" means Donaldson Run, Dover-Foxcroft, Dover-Balmoral Riverwood, Woodmont, Rivercrest, Arlingwood, Glebewood--the areas north of Lee Highway and east of Glebe where 90% of the houses sell for $900K and up (and often way over a million), then I suspect you are right. Because if you live there, you're not just a doctor; you're a heart surgeon who invented some new type of stent. Etc. Or a high-dollar lobbyist/lawyer/investment parasi--I mean, banker. In other words, you more than likely come from old money, possibly combined with lucky money or corrupt money. You might be right that those areas are whiter than other areas of the metro region, but I'd still bet they're not completely so. (For the area most uniformly Caucasoid, I'd have to bet on Great Falls.)

I.e., I would compare Far North Arlington to Langley (which is in McLean). The rest of Arlington is more like the rest of McLean.

But don't forget, there's a huge chunk of North Arlington that is south of Lee Highway. Our old block (in 22207) had one family that was mixed Jewish-Salvadoran, a gay couple, an Indian family, white-Asian couples, a gay (black) bachelor, and (from somewhere nearby) a black-Asian couple I would often see walking their baby together. Our current immediate neighbors (still in N. Arl--22205-- include three other Wasian couples besides us, one white-Hispanic family, an African American family, at least one gay (white) bachelor, one family that looks to be all Hispanic, and one that I think is Brazilian.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 01-10-2012 at 10:18 AM..
 
Old 01-10-2012, 10:14 AM
 
5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Reputation: 2722
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Actually all the most current board candidates (for favola's vacated seat) have expressed concerns about retaining affordable housing, AFAICT. So that DOES seem to be on the agenda.


Here is the viewpoint of one candidate :



Melissa Bondi:
I think the most pressing issue is to mitigate the continued threats to, and losses in, Arlington's affordable housing stock. A significant portion of our diverse Arlington population, from immigrants to seniors to persons with disabilities and young families need access to safe, decent affordable housing.
Interestingly Ms Bondi has been associated with the Coalition for Smart Growth.


Its interesting that DC progressives are attacked for not worrying enough about how much poverty is in DC. Arlington progressives are attacked for not worrying that the amount of poverty is decreasing.

AFAIK Arlington still has a higher percentage of poor folks, and of blacks (and maybe also hispanics?) than most of the middle and outer suburban jurisdicitions in NoVa. So if the goal is integration - wouldnt the change above be a good thing? Progressive? Im not sure. I am not one of those people who think that concentrating the poor in a few central jurisdictions is the optimal pattern. Also given the movement of jobs out to the suburbs, it seems natural that a higher proportion of the poor would move that way. It may make sense of for a recent college grad to reverse commute from Clarendon to Tysons or beyond, but why would a poor family reverse commute from an apt in arlington when there is affordable housing in Fairfax? If there is NOT affordable housing in Fairfax, then perhaps Fairfax residents might address that before lecturing Arlington residents on what they should or should not call themselves.

I would also note that while our current board in Fairfax supports the provision of affordable housing, that has been a matter of some controversy (as it has not been in Arlington, AFAIK). I also cannot imagine a candidate for the board in FFX saying that was his highest priority - (and not only because FFX doesnt have the same threat to its affordable housing stock that Arlington does). If this difference were only because FFX residents thought the problem of poverty should be addressed more directly, with income transfers, or a transformation of a labor market that has caused widening wage differentials, rather than through the provision of affordable housing I might just say they were DLC progressives, instead of "progressives" However that is not my impression. Therefore, I think as far as the issue of providing affordable housing is concerned, Arlington is at least as "progressive" as any jurisdiction in NoVa.
I think it's not useful - on this particular thread - to have an extended debate on this topic. The OP isn't looking for subsidized housing. She is interested in communities where there are some number of other professional Black families - which are represented in particularly small numbers in some parts of North Arlington (i.e., the areas that feed into Jamestown, Nottingham, Taylor and Tuckahoe ES) compared to other parts of the DC area.

She may or may not really care whether residents hold themselves out as "progressive," "liberal," "conservative" or "libertarian." My own reactions to the term "progressive" may be personal and based on past interactions with self-styled "progressives" who were totally convinced that they were forward-thinking, and that others were troglodytes, with little acknowledgment that other people might legitimately hold contrary points of view. Undoubtedly there are "conservatives," etc, who are equally convinced of the utter correctness of their thinking, and people who bristle when self-styled "conservatives" actually try to impose their own agenda on others.

Last edited by JD984; 01-10-2012 at 10:25 AM..
 
Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,771 posts, read 10,674,733 times
Reputation: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It's what I'm trying to do as well. I think the OP would be welcome in both communities, but that the mindset in Arlington is such that white people there probably will pat themselves on the back a bit more for having neighbors who are Black professionals. In any event, I'm sure she appreciates being wooed by all of us.
In the tech corridor people tend to pat themselves on the back more for having south and east asian neighbors I think. Unfortunately the folks who pat themselves on the back for having Jewish neighbors are all too often folks who are trying to showing they aren't bigots just because of their feelings about Islam and/or about secular humanism. Though I suppose I should appreciate them anyway. shalom, y'all!
 
Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 AM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,738 posts, read 8,940,261 times
Reputation: 3857
JEB, fair points. Politically speaking, what the OP will find is that many (perhaps most) of your neighbors will be happy to keep their politics private. (But not always.) I have long had a fantasy of putting both an ACLU and an NRA sticker on my car. Maybe someday.

As to dorsal auto-patelation: I just want neighbors who don't speed down our street, let their dogs wander (or bark ad nauseam), or let their rugrats scream in their front yard--and won't sell their house to a developer.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 01-10-2012 at 10:30 AM..
 
Old 01-10-2012, 10:22 AM
 
5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Reputation: 2722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
If "many of the areas" means Donaldson Run, Dover-Foxcroft, Dover-Balmoral Riverwood, Woodmont, Rivercrest, Arlingwood, Glebewood--the areas north of Lee Highway and east of Glebe where 90% of the houses sell for $900K and up (and often way over a million), then I suspect you are right. Because if you live there, you're not just a doctor; you're a heart surgeon who invented some new type of stent. Etc. Or a high-dollar lobbyist/lawyer/investment parasi--I mean, banker. In other words, you more than likely come from old money, possibly combined with lucky money or corrupt money. You might be right that those areas are whiter than other areas of the metro region, but I'd still bet they're not completely so. (For the area most uniformly Caucasoid, I'd have to bet on Great Falls.)

I.e., I would compare Far North Arlington to Langley (which is in McLean). The rest of Arlington is more like the rest of McLean.

But don't forget, there's a huge chunk of North Arlington that is south of Lee Highway. Our old block (in 22207) had one family that was mixed Jewish-Salvadoran, a gay couple, an Indian family, white-Asian couples, a gay (black) bachelor, and (from somewhere nearby) a black-Asian couple I would often see walking their baby together. Our current immediate neighbors (still in N. Arl--22205-- include three other Wasian couples besides us, one white-Hispanic family, an African American family, at least one gay (white) bachelor, one family that looks to be all Hispanic, and one that I think is Brazilian.
Demographic bingo! Sounds like fun! Who gets to be the free space?

Anyway, part of Great Falls is about as white as the northernmost sections of Arlington, but the rest of Great Falls is not, because there are otherwise more Asians in Great Falls and McLean than in the aforementioned parts of North Arlington. I think that's a reflection of careers and job centers. As more non-whites enter professions where high-paying jobs are in DC, that should even out.
 
Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,771 posts, read 10,674,733 times
Reputation: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post

She may or may not really care whether residents hold themselves out as "progressive," "liberal," "conservative" or "libertarian." My own reactions to the term "progressive" may be personal and based on past interactions with self-styled "progressives" who were totally convinced that they were forward-thinking, and that others were troglodytes, with little acknowledgment that other people might legitimately hold contrary points of view. Undoubtedly there are "conservatives," etc, who are equally convinced of the correctness of their thinking.
fair enough. I met people like that in NYC, but few in NoVa, and that includes people I've met in North Arlington (indeed the most intolerant leftie I've ever met in NoVa lived in PWC, IIRC) I have a gut reaction against people critiquing residents of the inner jurisdictions for hypocrisy on demographic issues, especially when those critiques are not only irrelevant, but inaccurate.

I agree OP probably isn't much concerned with affordable housing policy as a reason for location in one jurisdiction or another. IF affordable housing policy is a useful indicator of hypocracy on other aspects of being progressive, I think OP can rest assured that Arlingtonians are not particularly hypocritical in that regard. I would suggest that Arlingtonians "progressive" (I myself lean more toward the DLC address the labor market directly, not the housing market school of thought than most "progressives") stance on that, afaict, matches up quite well with progressiveness on other things. However there are certainly quite enough Fairfaxians who are politically progressive, and enough who are not but are tolerant of diversity, that it probably shouldnt be a huge concern to the OP (especially as the nabes that are likely to draw other black professionals are going to the FFX nabes with the greatest tolerance for diversity, AFAICT)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:20 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top