U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:38 PM

8,799 posts, read 10,709,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
If we really wanted to hash out exactly what it means to be "progressive" or to live in a "progressive" area, there are also a fair number of articles that highlight that - at least in an urban context - cities that are the most self-referentially "progressive" tend to be less diverse, not more diverse, e.g.:

The White City | Newgeography.com

Query whether Arlington is heading in that direction as well. Guess the OP can put in all in the blender and sort it out. Nobody ever said it was easy.
Ah joel kotkin's website. he even as an article by wendell cox on the front page. that finding is what I would expect from that source.

BTW, looking at the list, he's basically showing that far western and upper northern cities have white central cities than southern ones. This is of a piece with (white) southern claims of yankee racial hypocracy and of "progressive politics" that go way back.

FWIW.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Conversely, when it comes to Arlington, I wonder whether the attitudes in South Arlington are really the same as those in North Arlington these days; your prior post referred to Arlington generally. Someone who decides to live in South Arlington and send their kids to Wakefield may well have a different mindset that someone who lives in North Arlington and had to be in the Jamestown or Nottingham ES districts. I've certainly seen plenty of Arlington posters on other forums who warn people away from schools with high percentages of low-income students. Not much different than anywhere else in the suburbs in that regard.
I dont know that I know people in real life from the far north end of Arlington. I know people mostly from the less fashionable south end of north arlington (i mean SFH dwellers, not 20something condoites) and from south arlington. I dont know all the school pyramids, but it would not surprise me to learn that the far north corner of arlington is similar in political and social attitudes to adjoining parts of FFX.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:47 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,638,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I dont know that I know people in real life from the far north end of Arlington. I know people mostly from the less fashionable south end of north arlington (i mean SFH dwellers, not 20something condoites) and from south arlington. I dont know all the school pyramids, but it would not surprise me to learn that the far north corner of arlington is similar in political and social attitudes to adjoining parts of FFX.
In an effort to move this forward, I'd simply offer that, insofar as Arlington is on the OP's list, and she's looking for a generally diverse area, the Lyon Park area of Arlington might be a very good choice. There's a range of houses, and schools (Long Branch/Jefferson/W-L, I believe) that are more diverse that what you'd find in parts of Arlington further north. The AA enrollments at those three schools are 13.1%, 19.1% and 12.5%, respectively. As far as I'm aware, it's a very "fashionable" part of the county that is home to many professionals, and probably attracting more, but prices may be lower than what you'd have to pay for a similar property a bit further north in, say, Lyon Village or Country Club Hills. Can't say how it would compare to some of the places in South Arlington like the Arlington Ridge area.

As to the far north corner of Arlington, the housing prices, income levels and voting patterns there are all pretty similar to what you'd find in the neighboring parts of McLean. The most noticeable differences would probably be that the lots might be smaller; there's a greater chance that you'd have sidewalks; and there's a lesser chance that you'd have Asian neighbors.

Last edited by JD984; 01-11-2012 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 02:47 PM

518 posts, read 1,295,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I know people mostly from the less fashionable south end of north arlington (i mean SFH dwellers, not 20something condoites) and from south arlington.
I don't know what you mean by that. Bon Air maybe? That neighborhood is still a little dumpy. Lyon Park, Ashton Heights, Lyon Village, Tara Leeway Heights, Maywood, etc. are some of the most fashionable neighborhoods in N Arlington and have been for many years. None of those neighborhoods are in the north end of N Arlington. Expensive Lyon Park and Ashton Heights in fact border south Arlington.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 PM

Well Im thinking the west corner near East Falls church metro. We also know some folks further east, maybe not unfashionable, but the nabes dont look that fancy.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:02 PM

91 posts, read 160,890 times
Ok for Arlington neighborhoods with a significant professional aa population there is green valley, halls hill and Johnson hill (Arlington view). They are nice neighborhoods that are diverse as well. 2 are in south arlington and 1 in north Arlington. There is also a small neighborhood on the north side of penrose in Arlington. These are some nice areas with older houses. As for fairfax I can think of mount Vernon, kingstowne lorton and maybe centreville.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:20 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,971,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Ok for Arlington neighborhoods with a significant professional aa population there is green valley, halls hill and Johnson hill (Arlington view). They are nice neighborhoods that are diverse as well. 2 are in south arlington and 1 in north Arlington. There is also a small neighborhood on the north side of penrose in Arlington. These are some nice areas with older houses. As for fairfax I can think of mount Vernon, kingstowne lorton and maybe centreville.
READ HER POST. She's a doctor. She does not want to live among undereducated people of any race, which is what you find in those areas.

(Have you been to Green Valley? It's unbelievably ugly--tiny, ugly frame houses, and no trees. I doubt any doctors, lawyers, diplomats, military officers, or engineers live there. Same with Hall's Hill.)

Look, I'm sure you mean well, but what your post ends up saying is "Oh, you're a doctor? Whatever! You're black! Your place is in the 'black' neighborhood, which by the way is a dilapidated ghetto."

Black high achievers are just like high achievers of any other ethnicity; they want to live among people who are as smart and accomplished they are. (They just don't want to be "the XXX people" on the block.)

July2012: I hope you and yours end up moving to our neighborhood. You seem nice. And it would be great to have a doctor nearby, because I have this weird eyelid twitch...

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 01-11-2012 at 05:32 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 06:02 PM

13 posts, read 35,481 times
This dialogue has been great. I've learned that there is a lot more to Arlington than the homes immediately surrounding the metro (where I live). I've never heard of some of these neighborhoods! I'll have to do my homework and get a good realtor.

I've also learned that there is probably no true community in the immediate area with an abundance of professional blacks. And that's OK, I wanted to make sure that if such place did exist, that i wasnt I missing it, which is why I posed the question on this forum. It's just frustrating at times as all through my training- med school, residency etc I've been one of few blacks. It gets old after awhile! I'm sure I will FEEL welcome in many of these areas but I was hoping for my child to have a different scenario altogether.

In the process I think I've learned something about myself- if no such community exists and I have to choose one or the other, which would I choose? Do I identify myself more as black or as a professional/doctor. I think I would choose the neighborhood with the professionals although for some reason, deep down I feel guilty to say that...not sure why. I wish I didn't have to choose and that I could raise my family with the best of both worlds. But I'm not willing to move to Maryland or Atlanta!
I'm sure wherever we choose we will be happy and find great neighbors.

Thanks for all your comments

Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,638,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
READ HER POST. She's a doctor. She does not want to live among undereducated people of any race, which is what you find in those areas.

(Have you been to Green Valley? It's unbelievably ugly--tiny, ugly frame houses, and no trees. I doubt any doctors, lawyers, diplomats, military officers, or engineers live there. Same with Hall's Hill.)

Look, I'm sure you mean well, but what your post ends up saying is "Oh, you're a doctor? Whatever! You're black! Your place is in the 'black' neighborhood, which by the way is a dilapidated ghetto."

Black high achievers are just like high achievers of any other ethnicity; they want to live among people who are as smart and accomplished they are. (They just don't want to be "the XXX people" on the block.)

July2012: I hope you and yours end up moving to our neighborhood. You seem nice. And it would be great to have a doctor nearby, because I have this weird eyelid twitch...
Were you just referring to the Arlington neighborhoods that the other poster had mentioned? Because I'm pretty sure there are black professionals in Kingstowne, Lorton, Centreville, etc.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:57 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,083,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by July2012 View Post
This dialogue has been great. I've learned that there is a lot more to Arlington than the homes immediately surrounding the metro (where I live). I've never heard of some of these neighborhoods! I'll have to do my homework and get a good realtor.

I've also learned that there is probably no true community in the immediate area with an abundance of professional blacks. And that's OK, I wanted to make sure that if such place did exist, that i wasnt I missing it, which is why I posed the question on this forum. It's just frustrating at times as all through my training- med school, residency etc I've been one of few blacks. It gets old after awhile! I'm sure I will FEEL welcome in many of these areas but I was hoping for my child to have a different scenario altogether.

In the process I think I've learned something about myself- if no such community exists and I have to choose one or the other, which would I choose? Do I identify myself more as black or as a professional/doctor. I think I would choose the neighborhood with the professionals although for some reason, deep down I feel guilty to say that...not sure why. I wish I didn't have to choose and that I could raise my family with the best of both worlds. But I'm not willing to move to Maryland or Atlanta!
I'm sure wherever we choose we will be happy and find great neighbors.

Thanks for all your comments
This guy can probably give you some feedback on that if you're lucky enough to meet him:

Cleve Francis - Walkin - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or