U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 AM

13 posts, read 35,475 times

Advertisements

Hello all
I am a 31 yo physician and my husband and I are expecting our first child this summer. We want to purchase a home in a community were we will feel accepted and comfortable. The neighborhood does not have to be mostly black but diverse with other young families possibly with similar accomplishments. In this area "diverse" seems to equate Hispanic or Asian which we are definitely open to but would also like to consider other options. We have lived in NoVa for many years and are not willing to move to Maryland.
Neighborhooods we are considering
-Chantilly
-Centreville
-Ashburn
-Arlington
-Alexandria (fairfax part)
-Reston

Thanks so much for your insight!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:04 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,595,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by July2012 View Post
Hello all
I am a 31 yo physician and my husband and I are expecting our first child this summer. We want to purchase a home in a community were we will feel accepted and comfortable. The neighborhood does not have to be mostly black but diverse with other young families possibly with similar accomplishments. In this area "diverse" seems to equate Hispanic or Asian which we are definitely open to but would also like to consider other options. We have lived in NoVa for many years and are not willing to move to Maryland.
Neighborhooods we are considering
-Chantilly
-Centreville
-Ashburn
-Arlington
-Alexandria (fairfax part)
-Reston

Thanks so much for your insight!
Okay, I'm probably either naive here or going to sound that way, but is this still an issue in our diverse communities? The reason I say this is it brought back a 30 year old story to me. I've lived in the Fairfax/Chantilly area for over thirty years, in a home that was new construction when we bought it, barely affording what was the cheapest house in the neighborhood. At the time the family who bought across the street from us was Black (African American?) and had just upgraded from their previous home. They were wonderful neighbors but back then when my Midwest rural farming parents came out to visit my dear, now departed, mother was aghast. My comment at the time, and still remains was that house cost 20K more than ours did and I welcomed anyone who could afford it. Maybe this has nothing to do with what you are asking, and as I said, maybe I'm naive, but I honestly would not thought of that in these areas you mentioned.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:15 AM

Choff5
I'm not saying there are issues with any of those locations. I'm really not sure which is why I am asking people like you who have lived in these areas. You only gain a very slim perspective from visiting an area and I don't want to move into an area blindly without seeking counsel first, especially with a new baby on the way.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:23 AM

560 posts, read 1,109,020 times
Reston is diverse-

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Also, there are some beautiful new neighborhoods in Triangle, Va (near Quantico). Maybe someone else knows why the newer housing seems to be such a bargain-

3486 Logstone Dr Triangle VA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #PW7734379 - Realtor.com®

Old 01-08-2012, 10:25 AM

5,740 posts, read 8,967,707 times
The Metro DC region does not have majority-black affluent areas, unlike some places in and near Atlanta. You can, however, find ethnically diverse, affluent areas: N. Arlington, McLean, Falls Church City, Old Town Alexandria (as well as nearby Rosemont and Del Ray--but schools could be an issue), Bethesda (MD), the nicer parts of Silver Spring (MD). By "diverse," it's still going to be mostly whites, but a good "sprinkling" of Asian Americans, African Americans, and South Americans/upper-income Mexican Americans.

I don't think many African Americans live in the areas you mentioned. I haven't spent much time in any of those areas, but my impression is that they're somewhat ethnically segregated (whites, Indians and a few East Asians in the newer, pricier areas, and low-income Hispanics in the other areas). I could be wrong, but to my mind, the upper-income folks in the areas you named are mostly IT people (since the Dulles Tech Corridor is right there) and/or middle-level US government employees who have decided that the longer commute is worth it for the extra space they get living farther out (perhaps due to having one income, a large number of children, a preference for newer housing, or some combination thereof).

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:37 AM

384 posts, read 901,316 times
I think Arlington is great. They have some of the best schools there. I lived there for a while and enjoyed the shopping, libraries, and bike trails. I also liked that I could walk out my door and hear someone chatting in a different language from Farsi to German. (I lived where alot of diplomats lived.)

Old 01-08-2012, 10:37 AM

199 posts, read 603,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
Reston is diverse-

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Also, there are some beautiful new neighborhoods in Triangle, Va (near Quantico). Maybe someone else knows why the newer housing seems to be such a bargain-

3486 Logstone Dr Triangle VA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #PW7734379 - Realtor.com®
Just an FYI on that community. I know someone who lives there. The developer went bankrupt building the community. So they never finished all the amenities that they promised. I think they have a new builder in finishing out the lots, but I don't think they are obligated to build the amenities.

Also, when they shell at Quantico, they can hear and sometimes feel it.

Last edited by gammann; 01-08-2012 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: spellin

Old 01-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Thanks Carlingtonian
I've rented in Arlington for years but wanted to inquire about some of these other neighborhoods we have visited or simply driven through over the years.
We were thinking maybe we "should" move further out into the suburbs once the baby comes but maybe we will look for a SFH right where we are in Arlington

Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 AM

Thanks pandoras and gammann.
Thanks to all for keeping this thread informative and positive!

Old 01-08-2012, 12:57 PM

7,968 posts, read 18,075,034 times
I agree with Carlingtonian that there are not any close-in areas (on this side of the river) where you will find a confluence of black professionals living together. On the other hand, neighbors of similar economic class tend to get along well here, no matter their background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or