U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:52 AM

628 posts, read 1,724,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
mosquitoes - not so bad
gnats - pretty bad on hot, muggy days
stinkbugs - awful last year, but much better this year
ticks - horrible - you will always have to check yourself and your pets after walking in the woods or tall grass

All of these, though, are no comparison to the 17-year cicadas. Hang around the DC area for another 10 years and you will see a plague........
And there's the traffic, high prices, unfriendly people, floods, snowstorms, open carry guns. Why would anyone live here? Now I'm afraid to go for my walk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 02:12 PM

588 posts, read 1,197,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Has anyone else noticed that mosquitos largely ignore white people but go aggressively after everyone else? . I.e., mosquitos who had a nose for Germans or Irish probably starved to death real quick.

I wish that were true for me! I am of Irish, Welsh, and British descent and I am a MAJOR mosquito magnet. In fact, if I am outside with a group of people, they might get a bite or two each while I will get a dozen or more. I wear bug spray whenever I venture outside (even to get my mail) during the summer, but I still always have a minimum of 20 mosquito bites.

OP-- is there a mosquito "problem" here? No. Are there mosquitos? Yes. There is a very wet area in the neighborhood-owned land behind my house, which I think is part of what contributes to my personal issue with mosquito bites. MOST people, though, do not have nearly the same issue.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:45 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,561,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
I wish that were true for me! I am of Irish, Welsh, and British descent and I am a MAJOR mosquito magnet.
Me too! I'm a European mutt--blonde haired, blue eyed, and red skinned in the summer (mix of sun burns and mosquito bites )

Old 01-14-2012, 03:25 PM

5,739 posts, read 8,948,971 times
Well, given the experiences of Kutra, Patriot, and CaliTerp, there goes my theory!

Old 01-15-2012, 06:04 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
When we first moved here they found me really tasty. Now, not so much. I'm not sure if I should feel insulted.

ps. FWIW I'm Irish but not sure how helpful that is considering I've been both a magnet and a non-magnet.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:43 AM

116 posts, read 385,800 times
My dr said that mosquoitos might be more attracted to you based on what you eat. If you eat a lot of sweets, the you smell sweet, and they love that sugary smell. If you eat a lot of fatty foods, then you smell kind of like butter which I assume they would also like. And then I would think if you smoke a lot of cigarettes, they wouldn't like that so much. My dr told me to cut down on sweets if I wanted to be less "attractive" to mosquitoes.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaug20000 View Post
My dr said that mosquoitos might be more attracted to you based on what you eat. If you eat a lot of sweets, the you smell sweet, and they love that sugary smell. If you eat a lot of fatty foods, then you smell kind of like butter which I assume they would also like. And then I would think if you smoke a lot of cigarettes, they wouldn't like that so much. My dr told me to cut down on sweets if I wanted to be less "attractive" to mosquitoes.
I chug coffee like it's water. Wonder if that helps repel 'em.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:10 PM

44 posts, read 98,429 times
I'm a white Euro-mutt who finds mosquitoes to be the most intolerable part of the summer here. If I bought another house, it would have a screened-in porch. I can get 15 bites just going from the house to the car. My observation is that women are more pestered and that diet doesn't matter very much if at all. The situation is much better in Pennsylvania and I enjoy my summer evenings there a lot more.

With the Asian Tigers, it's hard to eliminate the habitat. They can reproduce with a bottlecap of water. I think English ivy, as a habitat for mosquitoes worsens the problem. I've wondered about trying the mosquito traps.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:30 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
Or you get highly caffeinated skeeters. Now there's a scary thought!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
I think English ivy, as a habitat for mosquitoes worsens the problem.
English ivy is a noxious weed whose evil is only eclipsed by that of its uroshiol-containing brethren. It's taking over most of the parks in Arlington and well on the way to killing off many of the trees. And it's hard to get rid of. (I cleared our yard of it by hand, but it was pretty backbreaking. [I refuse to use chemicals. There are enough weird-looking people in the world already.])
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or