Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 PM

49 posts, read 107,574 times

Advertisements

We have the opportunity to move to the new Walter Reed this summer. We could choose to live in Fairfax County in Virginia or Montgomery County in Maryland. Our son is eight and fairly severely autistic. One of the primary reasons for moving is that my son might be able to have better services in the public or private schools than he gets here in TX. Anyone have an opinion regarding which county would be better (I think I already know the answer to this) and/or which specific schools might be good (or which to avoid)? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:17 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Having once lived in Montgomery and Loiudoun, I can't tell you anything about Fairfax. But I know Montgomery County has extensive services available. I also knew several families in Loudoun that had children bussed to Mont because the services were not available in Loudoun. There are also numerous private school options in Montgomery County.

Best of luck.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:24 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
The toughest cases are outsourced to The Phillips Programs. I've seen buses over there from the entire area, including DC and MD. PHILLIPS
They took very good care of the student we transported 20 miles to get there.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:25 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,381 times
As far as I can tell, Montgomery County. I also believe that the autism/insurance laws are better in Maryland? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. But we're in Loudoun County and know of a couple of families that ended up moving to MD because they could get better coverage for their kids. I know our (good) insurance doesn't cover anything for our autistic child here in VA. Good luck!!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:12 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,646 times
Default Avoid Virginia at all costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by choski94 View Post
We have the opportunity to move to the new Walter Reed this summer. We could choose to live in Fairfax County in Virginia or Montgomery County in Maryland. Our son is eight and fairly severely autistic. One of the primary reasons for moving is that my son might be able to have better services in the public or private schools than he gets here in TX. Anyone have an opinion regarding which county would be better (I think I already know the answer to this) and/or which specific schools might be good (or which to avoid)? Thanks!
Unfortunately, Virginia is only the second worst state in the country for helping autistic children and adults--Texas is the worst. Do a forum search for NOVA and autism services. I made a lengthy post about a study done that rated the services here in Virginia a couple of years ago. You will have a battle to properly place your son in an appropriate setting in Virginia. Fairfax will likely want to place your child with ED and LD kids and many/most of the teachers are not properly trained to work with highly autistic children. If you truly have the choice I would say avoid Virginia unless you have the money for private placement but then there are no good schools in the entire area for a non-verbal child. You would be sending your child out of the community to go to school.

Community based services are disorganized to non-existent in Virginia. I cannot speak to the services in Md.

If you move to Maryland, you should consider Ivymount School. They have schools for non-verbal kids as well as highly verbal autistic kids. Ironically, some lucky parents in Virginia (and by that I mean the ones that lawyer up or ones that catch the schools doing something illegal) get private placements in Ivymount or Katherine Thomas which are both in Md. Virginia just doesn't have the right schools for autistic kids so they place them out of state. That should tell you something.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:41 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
I have always heard that Maryland is better for those types of services. I have a friend with a child with autism, and she told me that many people move from VA to MD to get their services.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,332 times
Default Montgomery vs Loudon for Autism Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
As far as I can tell, Montgomery County. I also believe that the autism/insurance laws are better in Maryland? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. But we're in Loudoun County and know of a couple of families that ended up moving to MD because they could get better coverage for their kids. I know our (good) insurance doesn't cover anything for our autistic child here in VA. Good luck!!
We are in Montgomery Co and we were told waiting list for Medicaid Waivers for autisitc children is way longer here than in Loudon. Does anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: