U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:33 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,338,078 times

Advertisements

There are some good answers here so I guess all places in the area are not to different from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 03:46 PM

813 posts, read 1,106,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Reason # 1-VA POLICE have a reputation and the criminals know that if they cross into that territory there will be hell to pay. Fairfax County Police's reputation for no non sense keeps alot of crooks away!

Good point. I also wonder, tangential to that, if Virginia's willingness to apply the death penalty also helps its street rep, so to speak. Not trying to get into a diatribe here about the effectiveness of the death penalty, but let's face it, John Allen Muhammed isn't ever coming up for a parole hearing. Boo-hoo.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:51 PM

371 posts, read 731,001 times
I think it is because of two reasons:

1. There is better employment in NOVA than the Washington suburbs in MD. Major employers of professional jobs seem to be more plentiful in NOVA. Those professionals who want to be close to their jobs will more likely choose NOVA.

2. NOVA got a slightly better reputation years back and then that snowballs. What I mean is when people ask where should I live, they are told if you want less crime and better schools, go to NOVA, if you want somewhere cheaper to live, go to MD. So for the past years, I think that pushes more professionals (not all, but more) to NOVA. I moved from MD to NOVA because the grass apeared greener over here.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:58 PM

23,585 posts, read 33,317,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Nope, but it is known for heavily enforcing punishments for said crimes
Also there is no parole in Virginia to the best of my knowledge.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:14 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,031,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Also there is no parole in Virginia to the best of my knowledge.
Yes, it was done away with under Gov. Allen.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:55 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,341,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Reason # 1-VA POLICE have a reputation and the criminals know that if they cross into that territory there will be hell to pay. Fairfax County Police's reputation for no non sense keeps alot of crooks away!
LOL. If reputation cut the mustard, PG County would be one of the safest spots on earth.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
LOL. If reputation cut the mustard, PG County would be one of the safest spots on earth.
I used to live in the county directly south of PG county and I never heard their police having a tough reputation. The reputation was more like you will never get pulled over unless you are driving down the street shooting directly at someone from your vehicle. Anything else, then you are ok. Even when I lived in Maryland, the reputation for Virginia police was that there were speed traps everywhere.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 AM

81 posts, read 158,675 times
Yea whenever I drive thru md especially pg there is a lot of people speeding all over can't pull that off in nova

Old 01-14-2012, 08:14 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,947,337 times
I don't have any personal experience or know much otherwise about the level of speed enforcement in PG. But their PD has definitely been investigated many times for shootings of unarmed people. And even dogs, as was the case when they mistakenly targeted the home of the mayor of Berwyn Heights in a drug raid and shot his and his wife's two friendly labs.

It might well be that they ignore speed violations but still go overboard in their response to reports of other crimes.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:03 AM

PG police might have a reputation for shooting innocent people/dogs, but I don't think they have a reputation for having a high crime closure rate and locking up the criminals. If they do in some circles, I'm out of that loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia