U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,346,980 times

Advertisements

Reston itself and Loudon County areas will kind of discount the added desire for an easy commute downtown to a second job. That's why the focus on Vienna and Falls Church...trying to get workable somewhere in between...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 09:08 PM

32 posts, read 151,086 times
Thanks for the additional input. However, we were hoping to kind of split the difference as I will be in DC and my husband in Reston. I think I will skip B/CC as we don't want the long commute. It would make the redeeming qualities of B/CC seem less redeeming - at least for us. We've been in work situations where we've had to commute more than an hour each way, and it is exhausting!

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know of any mother's clubs in NOVA? I find them to be a great resource. I am a member of two mother's clubs out here.

Thanks.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:56 PM

19 posts, read 66,655 times
I think Reston is an excellent place to live - it has a towncenter, but you would have to drive to it. Houses in Reston go for about 600K to 700K for a nice SFH. And ur hubbys commute would be short. Schools are good there too

Old 09-06-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaFamily View Post
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know of any mother's clubs in NOVA? I find them to be a great resource. I am a member of two mother's clubs out here. Thanks.
Don't know them by that name, perhaps in part because my kids are grown now. Many of my friends do have pre-school types though, and they do speak of Mom and kids going off to 'play group' a lot. A few of them seem convinced that the term 'play group' is actually synonymous with 'terrorist cell', being places where all manner of nefarious (and usually expensive) wifely ideas receive regular reinforcement. I wouldn't know about that. But maybe these are at least close east-coast relatives of west-coast mother's clubs???

Old 09-06-2007, 04:20 PM

116 posts, read 415,718 times
Quote:
Thanks Saganista - We had ruled out Reston because it's too far from D.C., where I will most likely be working and where we'll be visiting a lot. I had heard about the City of Falls Church. Using back roads, is it a reasonable commute to Reston? Like around 30 mins? We are looking for a town that has a sense of community, activities, and friendly neighbors.

Again, I appreciate everyone's help. Searching from across the country can be quite overwhelming!
Lol, "sense of community" in the D.C. area? Good luck with that.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Thank you for everyone's feedback! Falls Church and Vienna sound charming and I am looking forward to touring both when I come out to visit in October. However, just to throw a wrench into everything, a friend of mine suggested Bethesda or Chevy Chase. She says the areas are nice and the school districts are great. But those towns are in MD. Will the commute to Reston be too far??

Again, I thank you in advance for helping me out.
I live 16 miles from D.C. (on the Virginia side, fairfax specifically). Commuting into D.C. by metro takes at least 1 hour.

By car it takes at least 40 minutes.

Traffic is horrible, the worst traffic in the United States.

Welcome to NoVA! :P

Old 09-06-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
We definitely do not want a tough commute! We're hoping for a better quality of life with our move. However, if the Bethesda/Chevy Chase schools are better than the Vienna/Falls Church ones, we may have to consider it. We have 3 very young children that will be starting K in a year. Does anyone have feedback regarding those school districts and if the Vienna/Falls Church ones are better than the Bethesda/Chevy Chase ones?
If one of you works in downtown D.C. (as opposed to Arlington or Alexandria), and one of you works in Reston - one of you is going to have a bad commute. There is no way to avoid it.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:09 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,046,748 times
If one of you works in downtown D.C. (as opposed to Arlington or Alexandria), and one of you works in Reston - one of you is going to have a bad commute. There is no way to avoid it.

Not true. They can live in North Arlington, McLean, Vienna, or Falls Church, and each person would have a very reasonable commute. Their housing budget would enable them to find a nice place in any of those communities.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateo View Post
As has been pointed out, this comment is baseless. Puts it in roughly the same league as the previous two...

Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 4,693 times
Default congrats on your relo

HI - i have read all the posts here and all are helpful...but if I were you, i would really RECONSIDER moving to Reston. If you can afford that amount of money for a home, you can get a really wonderful home for that kind of $$ in North Reston (or anywhere in Nova fr that matter) these days.
Reston is a wonderful community and has community parks,miles of bike trails, swimming pools, lakes, a small zoo, a waterpark, excellent schools, a wonderful hospital, etc. It's where families and professionals live in a nice blend of cultures, religions, activities, festivals, shopping (reston town center and not far from both large area malls - Tysons Corner Mall and Dulles Town Center Mall) green areas, and the list goes on. It is where I would live in a heartbeat if we could spen 1 mil on a home. I understand you want a close or easy commute to DC...but outside of DC itself, there really ISNT an easy commute to DC from NoVa. The Metro is nice (similar to BART) but it is so crowded and the just raised the fares. I worked in DC for a year and lived in Herndon (the city past Reston) and it took me a good 1.5 hours each way doing the drive to the commuter lot, get on a commuter bus to the West Falls Church metro and then to get on the Metro -- always full SRO -- and then going to my stop after breathing in someone's armpit smell for an hour or so.)
If you live close in, llike in Arlington for example, then your husband is going to have a hellish commute WEST to Reston. Believe it or not, the commute from Arlington to Tyson's Corner and points west is as bad or worse from points in NoVA. The main drag into DC from NoVA is I-66 - which from 6am - 9am has HOV restrictions, so you have to carpool with 2 or more people or take Metro...same goes for the commute home.
So if you choose to work in DC, then you just have to suck it up and have a bad commute unless you live right on the Metro and can walk to it (so look into Falls Church around Sycamore and Washington Blvd and Lee Hwy) - i believe the community is called WESTOVER?
or if you want to be in a city-like atmosphere with high density and traffic and more crime, then you can look for a house around the CLARENDON Metro stop in Arlington Co. It's really developed lately and they have great bungalow-style homes, alot that have been completely remodeled and new shops, lots of good ethnic restaurants, etc. .
Theres alot going on there and for my taste, it isnt family-friendly enough for me personally, but ALOT of people love living in Arlington - but you have to CAREFULLY pick and choose your neighborhood and school there since it can turn bad QUICKLY.
But again, if you live in Falls Church or Arlington, then your hubby will have a LONG commute. So either way, ONE of you is going to have to sacrifice for the commute.
Good luck and let me know if you have any questions or need a good RE agent (i am not one, but a friend is)
Meredith
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia