U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:43 PM

5 posts, read 13,654 times
Question Commuting from Fredericksburg, VA to Ft. Belvoir

Hello all,

I recently accepted a position in Ft. Belvoir but I will be commuting from Fredericksburg, VA. My schedule is from 9am till 530pm. I know 95 North/South can be a complete nightmare in the morning and evening smh. I would like to know if there is any alternate routes or back roads I could take to at least avoid some of the 95 congestion. I'd appreciate any info you all may share.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 05:50 PM

5,361 posts, read 8,817,872 times
That would be a no - as I'm sure you know.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 PM

7,707 posts, read 11,425,090 times
Your only other alternative is Route 1 which is primarily a local road laden with stoplights. If you can adjust your schedule or at least allow yourself an "extra" hour before and after work to chill out/catch up, the commute home may be less strenuous.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 PM

93 posts, read 95,131 times
Friend of mine living in Fred rides the Virginia Rail Express (VRE) to Lorton, then drives to Belvoir. He really enjoys his time on the train. Your hours would work well with the train schedule. He bought an old car for $800 and uses it to get from the station to the post. The car has never even been to his house.

Lorton station is about 15 mins from Ft Belvoir. 7:40 am departure out of Fred will put you at Lorton at 8:27 am. You can get to work easily before 9:30.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:23 PM

217 posts, read 206,415 times
Do you want to just avoid congestion or get to work faster? Because it can't be both...

You shouldn't normally have too much of a problem with traffic prior to the Garrisonville/Aquia exit (you will if it's Monday or raining, though...) so you could take 95 up to Quantico.

Then you could go up Joplin Road at exit 150, turn right at Pace East School (Bristow Rd.), right onto 234, and left onto Minnieville. Go up Minnieville, all the way to Old Bridge Road and turn right. A mile or so down Old Bridge, turn right onto Gordon (Rt. 123) and it will put you back at 95 at exit 160, fairly close to where you want to be (if you're doing exit 166 up Rt. 1 to Ft. Belvoir).

But of course, with the lights and school buses and all, you may be better off sitting in traffic.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:39 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,198,882 times
Lightbulb Getting a cheap auto for Lorton parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben 'n Jen View Post
Friend of mine living in Fred rides the Virginia Rail Express (VRE) to Lorton, then drives to Belvoir. He really enjoys his time on the train. Your hours would work well with the train schedule. He bought an old car for $800 and uses it to get from the station to the post. The car has never even been to his house.

Lorton station is about 15 mins from Ft Belvoir. 7:40 am departure out of Fred will put you at Lorton at 8:27 am. You can get to work easily before 9:30.
Good suggestion and I was going to recommend the same. I'd say each train headed north has 30-40 people get off at Lorton. No idea how many have cheap cars in the lot.

On the timing route, hope he doesn't arrive at 9:30 if his 'work day' starts at 9 (original post).

Old 01-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben 'n Jen View Post

That's an awesome suggestion to avoid the 95 headache. I actually have to be at my desk at 9am. No way to adjust the schedule. Guess I just have to suck it up smh.

It may be far fetched but I was just hoping there would be an alternate. Thanks everybody for your input.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamnbam View Post
Do you want to just avoid congestion or get to work faster? Because it can't be both...

You shouldn't normally have too much of a problem with traffic prior to the Garrisonville/Aquia exit (you will if it's Monday or raining, though...) so you could take 95 up to Quantico.

Then you could go up Joplin Road at exit 150, turn right at Pace East School (Bristow Rd.), right onto 234, and left onto Minnieville. Go up Minnieville, all the way to Old Bridge Road and turn right. A mile or so down Old Bridge, turn right onto Gordon (Rt. 123) and it will put you back at 95 at exit 160, fairly close to where you want to be (if you're doing exit 166 up Rt. 1 to Ft. Belvoir).

But of course, with the lights and school buses and all, you may be better off sitting in traffic.
This is another great suggestion. At least it'll avoid Dale City, Dumfries and Woodbridge area. Thanks a bunch!

Old 01-12-2012, 07:02 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,198,882 times
Lightbulb VRE options

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1983 View Post
That's an awesome suggestion to avoid the 95 headache. I actually have to be at my desk at 9am. No way to adjust the schedule. Guess I just have to suck it up smh.

It may be far fetched but I was just hoping there would be an alternate. Thanks everybody for your input.
There is an alternative - you can depart earlier from Fred. There is a 7:15 train that gets in at 8am. You may qualify for the Fed. Transit benefits which have been lowered to $125 a month.

Link to the schedule: General Schedule Information - VRE

Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 PM

5,168 posts, read 6,418,595 times
Minnieville Rd. and Old Bridge will take you right through Dale City and Woodbridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia