U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,016 times

Advertisements

I have narrowed a rental search down to these communities in Shirlington. I have also seen ads for condos on South Abingdon in Fairlington but do not know if that is a specific development.

Can you give me any insight on these communities? Preliminary research suggests they are equally safe and equally (relatively speaking) close to the Shirlington Village shops and restaurants. (I would likely walk there early evening but cab home for safety reasons.) Please let me know if this is wrong.

After these two factors, I am looking for a condo complex with a sense of community, where neighbors are friendly and socialize together. I won't know anyone in the area except co-workers. While I plan to check out meetup groups, I suspect my living situation is the next best outlet to meet people.

Also, if you have any insights into the communities beyond these factors I would appreciate hearing it.

Thank you. This site has been a huge help during my research so thank you to those of you who are regular commenters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 AM

13 posts, read 32,497 times
I live in The Arlington condos right off of Wakefield and Walter Reed Drive. All of those places are safe and less than a 15 minute walk to Shirlington village. You can also take the metrobus home if that's more affordable than taking a cab. There's a Fairlington community center so that might give you an opportunity to meet people On the flipside, I haven't found my neighbors to be very friendly but hopefully Meetup affords you the opportunity to meet new people outside of the neighborhood.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:21 AM

5,740 posts, read 8,969,149 times
I don't have firsthand knowledge, but we did check out condos in Fairlington a few years ago. My sense of Fairlington is that it's very community-oriented and has a high number of middle-aged and older adults, especially single adults. I don't think it's that walkable to Shirlington, but it is on a bus line, and it's an easy shot to 395. If I were a single person, or if my wife and I were looking for a townhouse near Shirlington, it would definitely be on my list.

As to Walter Reed, just FYI, there is an officially designated day-laborer pickup/dropoff site right near that intersection with Four Mile Run.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:32 AM

8,790 posts, read 10,705,766 times
Fairlington is kinda big, so the walking distance to shirlington is going to vary depending on where in it you are. The walking is pleasant, but the roads wind, which means sometimes things are more circuitous than one might think - also since it mostly all looks alike, that plus the winding roads can make it easy to get lost - take a map, a GPS, or a good set of directions till you really know your way around.

The bus lines of course eases access to the metro and downtown.

My impression is that Fairlington is also a good place for families with kids (ones who can deal with the small space, at any rate) cause of the swimming pools, playgrounds, etc - those folks find it easy to make friends there.

My wife and I are empty nesters and fairlington (along with adjoining areas) is definitely on our list.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,868,526 times
All of the listed condos are within are 25 minute walk of Shirlington so "walkable" may be a bit subjective. Heatherlea and close-in Fairlington will be the closest condos and very nice. The others are about a mile out give or take. All areas are very safe and have their unique advantages (i.e. heatherlea and windgate are close to the wooded jogging path, West Village and Fairlington have close community centers)

For your suggestion, I agree that Fairlington seems to have the best community feel, as well as the most buses to Pentagon. I would recommend Heatherlea if you like jogging and proximity to Shirlington. West Village looks like the newest buildings if that floats your boat. To be honest, that is really being nitpicky; All are great choices. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,807,340 times
I lived in Heatherlea for several years. I loved it there. Such a great location. So close to Shirlington. Highly recommended.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 PM

107 posts, read 220,675 times
Shirlington is a great community and I think it is all that you make it. If you want to have it feel like a community then you do your best to do so, otherwise people keep to themselves.

When I first lived in the area I was located in Fairlington. It is an easy walk to the village if you are not caught up in some cul-de-sac. To a fast walker like me, it is a 15 minute walk.

I have walked home from Shirlington village past 10pm after taking a bus from the Pentagon and have not ever felt unsure about my decision. The paths and sidewalks are fairly empty and if you have any wits about you, you will avoid darkness and other certain areas.

Yes, there are day-laborers on Four Mile Run. They are concentrated near the Weenie-Beenie on Four Mile and S. Shirlington Road and extends east to about S. Nelson St. They are out early in the morning and you occasionally run across some inebriated folks on the Four Mile Run bike path in the later evenings (I mention this if you take the bike paths home - it is a nice 4 mile walk from the National airport Metro stop). It is very rare to come across drunk persons on the path and there are options to avoid these folks.

Shirlington has always been safe to me and I always read the Arlington County police reports to be aware of any questionable activity in the area or places to avoid.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:11 PM

47 posts, read 82,415 times
I used to live in Windgate. It was about a 15 minute walk to Shirlington, and I really liked being on the bike trails.
Now that I moved away, you won't run into me and my friends walking home drunk at 2 am. : )

Old 02-16-2012, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,557 times
I used to live at the Windsor in Shirlington Village, and it was great. You can't beat the location, and everyone was friendly. I moved across the higway to Parkfairfax, which is another area you might want to consider. There is a pedestrian bridge from Shirlington to Parkfairfax, so it's only a 5-15minute walk depending on where you live in Parkfairfax. Like Fairlington, there are some older occupants, but there are also plenty of young professionals and everyone always seems friendly.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM

2,675 posts, read 4,534,236 times
I have friends there and they are very happy. From what they say, it meets your criteria very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia