U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,830,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresgm View Post
The head honcho from M & S called me the next day and basically told me I was lying about her salesman.
I know M&S. If you were dealing with a "her", then I am sorry to tell you that you weren't even close to the head honchos of M&S.

At the end of the day, these are salesmen/women you're dealing with, and they're making big dollars on these sales. It is a seller's market around here, and they know it. However, what suprises me about some of these stories from M&S, is that I would've figured they were smart enough to have learned the lessons of some of their counterparts in the business that didn't survive the downturn. There will always be downturns, yesterday, today, tomorrow. Just the natural cycle of capitalism. They burn too many bridges and get a reputation of slick-rick crap like this, and they'll feel it when they really would rather not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 09:23 PM

291 posts, read 493,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I know M&S. If you were dealing with a "her", then I am sorry to tell you that you weren't even close to the head honchos of M&S.

At the end of the day, these are salesmen/women you're dealing with, and they're making big dollars on these sales. It is a seller's market around here, and they know it. However, what suprises me about some of these stories from M&S, is that I would've figured they were smart enough to have learned the lessons of some of their counterparts in the business that didn't survive the downturn. There will always be downturns, yesterday, today, tomorrow. Just the natural cycle of capitalism. They burn too many bridges and get a reputation of slick-rick crap like this, and they'll feel it when they really would rather not.
I picked up on this also. I know M&S very well and no head honcho is a woman. I have held back from posting on this thread for a few reasons that I choose not to disclose but I'm pretty shocked to hear these comments. If true, they have changed from the old days.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,085 times
My husband and I just closed on a Miller & Smith home in Brambleton (single family) Well we have been LESS then impressed! Be prepared for all kinds of problems. Our handles in all showers/baths came off (were not attached) our heater didn't work during the winter--they had to come out and fix it. Now its Spring and our AC just went out last night so they are coming to fix it YES again. Our neighbors said they were having flooding problems with their dishwasher due to cheap plastic parts that Miller & Smith decided to go with. THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU GET PULLED IN. We spent a half million dollars on a crap job and cheap stuff. Its not all that its cracked up to be.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 PM

7 posts, read 14,581 times
@weller_m

We bought SFH from M&S in Brambleton and are moving in about 2 months - anything I can do about these issues? We bought the Rosemoor house. I'm having an inspector look over things during the pre-drywall inspection next week.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,780 times
We bought and built our M&S house in 2004.....it also has been a nightmare but like the movie, a HUGE money pit. Lots of rotten wood..no PVC wood..no tyvek..very cheap materials. Our master shower leaked through to our kitchen ceiling then started falling through. Multiple leaks through all our ceilings..turns out window put in upside down filled with water and dripped down through attic into multiple areas. Vinyl siding that has bubbled in several areas. Where is their service department?? Fighting you on every issue...very rude... Takes little or no responsibility. Have painted 3 times and nearly replaced all the wood in 8 years. Also replaced the roof. Tile in kitchen cracking..turns out it is applied directly to plywood. Should of just built the thing myself. Run as fast as you can away from M & S house!

Old 06-08-2013, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,780 times
We are in the same nightmare...we also have had meetings to consider a class action suit.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,531 times
If you are still considering Miller and Smith -BEWARE. They are building more homes off Sudley Manor Drive in Bristow, VA starting Summer 2013. The homes look good in the outside, inside too but you should be aware that M&S habitually use inferior products. I live in Victory Lakes and I see what is happening. Take a look around at the wood that is rotting on homes that are only 5 and 6 years old. The new homes that were built on Tygert (across from Ribbon Falls Loop) are falling apart. Word to the wise, spend your hard earned cash elsewhere.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,236 times
I recently purchased a M&S TH in Ashburn and am sadly disappointed. Upon moving into my lovely home, I informed the builder that we could clearly hear our neighbor's television through the walls as well as every foot step taken on their wooden floors and stairs. Our neighbors are not loud or disruptive, there appears to be the lack of insulation/sound barrier between units. M&S's representative explained that every other neighboring wall is insulated, meaning that the neighbor's wall has insulation on their side but not ours. M&S will not address a solution to the issue nor did the superintendent attend the meeting they scheduled and confirmed by email, to take place at my home although I took off work and waited. Additionally, 13 months after purchasing our home, the concrete driveway has severely spalled, crumbled and deteriorated down to the gravel surface below. Several neighboring driveways and walk-ways have undergone the same deterioration. Upon informing M&S of the defect, they informed us that our one year warranty had expired (6 weeks earlier) and concrete deterioration is a natural occurance. The cost for us to replace our rapidly deteriorting driveways (and we must) is exorbitant. I previously lived in a Townhome for 9 years in the adjacent county and never heard the TV or noise of neighbors behind shared walls. I don't believe I'm expecting too much, I just want to be able to enjoy my lovely new home that cost me plenty.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:20 PM

3,879 posts, read 5,334,090 times
We knew a veep of M&S and judging by his arrogance and lack of ethics that he bragged about etc., I wouldn't buy a M&S home. Maybe just one drunk guy mouthing off but still . . .

Old 03-09-2015, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,584 times
Already existing Miller and Smith home at:
23859 Burdette Forest Road
Clarksburg, MD 20871

Do you know if there is a home warranty covering the windows and the outside framing of the windows? Most, if not all, of our windows are rotting. We have kept up with the maintenance on the outside of the home but the windows seem to be of inferior material. I am hoping you might know if Miller and Smith had/have a warranty on the house?

Thanks and if you could get back with me at your earliest convenience, I would appreciate it. The HOA is on us about getting the rotting wood fixed….again!

Sincerely,

BTW...our home was completely destroyed by a burst water pipe in our attic associated with the sprinkler system. The pipe was not insulated which caused the pipe to burst during a cold snap January 8, 2014. We are living in a one bedroom apartment waiting for our home to be completed. It had to be completely gutted...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia