Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 10:37 AM

12 posts, read 24,017 times

Advertisements

So I posted this in the D.C. thread and a couple of posters mentioned that I might not be able to find what I'm looking for in D.C. on my budget. Here's my situation:

I might be getting a job in D.C. so I need help narrowing down a decent neighborhood to live in. I'll be coming from Washington State.

My salary will be ~$42,000 for the first year, then ~$52,000 in the second year. I'm in my late 20's and married, wife will not have a job when we arrive so we'll be living off my salary alone (we've been doing this for a year now so we know how to budget and live frugally). I want a more family-oriented neighborhood; we don't really go out to nightclubs or anything like that. I have a car but I don't want a commute of more than 45 minutes to downtown. I am willing to drive or take the metro to work (downtown) but if I take the metro my job is near the blue, orange and red lines. I want someplace safe meaning someplace that my wife and I can walk around at night (even if just to the metro) without having to look over our shoulders and someplace where our apartment isn't likely to be burglarized. We are looking for a studio/efficiency apartment because I know that's all we'll be able to afford! $1,200/month is the maximum I am able to spend and that's only if it includes at least some utilities (preferably electricity).

Any ideas to get me started?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
You could possibly find a rental in Vienna or Fairfax proper which are pretty family oriented areas, but the problem is "for family oriented" you will be located in central to western fairfax at best which means an hour to 75 minutes into the city even with metro because it takes 20-30 minutes to get to the metro station from those areas. Vienna is easier to get to since it has its own metro stop but the less dense parts of Vienna which are more traditional again take 15 minutes plus to get to the metro.

I would tell you Del Ray/Alexandria but for a traditional house you are looking at easily over 2500 a month rent. If you reconsider the size of the place you could find a townhouse in McLean or Falls Church which are very clean family oriented but smaller units. I know of a few places in each that have townhomes for 1800-2000.

I assume you are not looking for purchasing in this area (its too expensive based on your criteria) unless you are willing to drive/metro 2 hours each way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia