Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 11,207 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I recently accepted a job offer in Arlington and I need to move within the next few weeks. I'm going to be relocating from the Midwest and need advice on where to live and suggestions for apartment complexes (1 bedroom, <$1300/month).

I'll be moving by myself, so any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 07:59 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,911 times
What part of Arlington will you be working in? Are you planning to walk/bike to work or drive?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 11,207 times
Near Virginia Hospital Center....I plan to drive.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:20 PM

67 posts, read 226,363 times
You might want to try the Dale City/Woodbridge Virginia area. Apartments are fairly cheap and its a pretty nice place to live.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:26 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
I live in another part of Nova, so don't have any suggestions. I just wanted to say welcome to northen VA.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:24 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,667 times
I would not suggest Woodbridge or Dale cities, the rents are low, but crime rates have become high in PWC. You can find tons of places in Fairfax city, Greenbriar area for that cost. I also know of lots of units in Arlington, along Route 29 that have 1 bedroom high rise/1 bedroom income properties for rent for that price. Lastly Commons of Mclean has rentals for 1 bedrooms right at that rate as well. All of these are closer to Arlington, and safer than woodbridge. You would be reverse commuting which in this area is huge because if you are going with traffic in the morning you could be looking at 10-15 miles per hour.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:09 PM

10 posts, read 35,032 times
Woodbridge is nice; however, the commute will be a hike, considering the new BRAC building that popped up on 395N. You might want to consider Springfield, if you can find a place that has a reasonable renting price. I know Alexandria has pretty decent apartment complexs and are metro accessible.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM

265 posts, read 952,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
I would not suggest Woodbridge or Dale cities, the rents are low, but crime rates have become high in PWC. You can find tons of places in Fairfax city, Greenbriar area for that cost. I also know of lots of units in Arlington, along Route 29 that have 1 bedroom high rise/1 bedroom income properties for rent for that price. Lastly Commons of Mclean has rentals for 1 bedrooms right at that rate as well. All of these are closer to Arlington, and safer than woodbridge. You would be reverse commuting which in this area is huge because if you are going with traffic in the morning you could be looking at 10-15 miles per hour.
Please don't generalize about crime being high in PWC. Every area is going to have crime in one way or another.

The commute will definitely be longer coming from PWC. Although you will have a bit more to choose from in terms of rental apartment. Rental prices have gone up all over the area.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 PM

6,559 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
I would not suggest Woodbridge or Dale cities, the rents are low, but crime rates have become high in PWC.
Do you have a link to support that the rate of crime is high in Woodbridge & Dale City?

I live within the Lake Ridge community of Woodbridge. I'm curious to know how much higher it is compared to other communities in NOVA.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:04 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,814 times
Seriously consider the apartments along Lee Highway in North Arlington. They are nice, and much cheaper than those right on the Metro Orange Line. Your drive to work would be less than 10 minutes. You will also be able to walk to the shops, bars, and restaurants in Clarendon or Ballston depending on the section of Lee Hwy.; abt a 15 - 20 minute walk. Living close to DC also has its advantages, especially if you want to escape suburbia from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia