Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,084 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I are in the process of buying a home in Newington Forest and wanted to get a little feedback on the area.

We are young (late 20's) with no kids .... yet... We like to go out and have a good time. Eat, Drink, See Bands, Trivia Night.. you know

We're coming from Alexandria.. I know, it's not far, but it feels like a world away! Any good recommendations on restaurants and bars?? or a place to stop and get my morning coffee? or a good dry cleaners? grocery store? pharmacy? I've driven around the neighborhood a bit, but I feel like all I see are houses, houses, and more houses. I know there's gotta be something close by ... right..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 05:35 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Lorton Town Center and Kingstowne? Maybe Occoquan?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:57 PM

160 posts, read 279,449 times
Welcome to the area!

We just moved out here a few months ago, not Newington Forest, but close enough.

It's not the most Hip and Happening DINK neighborhood, that's for sure! It's pretty quiet out here--Lots of families Also, Great walking trails, lots of parks, so it's a very nice place for a dog. Oh, and be sure to get out to Huntsman lake or Lake Mercer to see the Bald Eagles while they are still here!

We usually go out to Kingstowne for shopping/eating, (and they have a big movie theater), but there are many little other shopping centers around. There's a starbucks at corner of Huntsman and FFX co pkwy (and a GIANT grocery and a few other takeout places).

We are exploring the area for good eateries, and so far, we like Saigon City for Vietnamese, the Swiss Bakery in Burke for sweets, and Steak N Things down in FFX station for cheese steaks.

But, for date nights, we head out to Old Town Alexandria, since there isn't really much of a night life here.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM

199 posts, read 672,546 times
I grew up in NF, and my parents still live there. A couple of places to eat:

Mikes American (http://www.greatamericanrestaurants.com/mikesmain/ - broken link) - downtown Springfield. Part of the Great American Restaurant family, warning can be a long wait on the weekends.
Welcome to Pane e Vino ::: Ristorante e Pizzeria ::: - Nice Italian place in Lorton. Good Sunday brunch.

Grocery stores, I think you pretty much have Giant....and Giant:
Saratoga Shopping Center - Springfield, VA, 22153
Huntsman Square Shopping Center - Neighborhood Center with Giant Food Store, Retail Shops, Restaurants, Pizza, Hair Salon, Entertainment, Banking, Nails, Subway, Starbucks, Blockbuster Video, Baskin Robbins, Dentist, Medical Center, Cleaners, Springf

Music:
Jaxx Nightclub - An interesting list of artists....

There is lots of new stuff in Kingstowne, as mentioned. An of course there is always Springfield Mall

Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammann View Post
I grew up in NF, and my parents still live there. A couple of places to eat:

Mikes American (http://www.greatamericanrestaurants.com/mikesmain/ - broken link) - downtown Springfield. Part of the Great American Restaurant family, warning can be a long wait on the weekends.
Welcome to Pane e Vino ::: Ristorante e Pizzeria ::: - Nice Italian place in Lorton. Good Sunday brunch.

Grocery stores, I think you pretty much have Giant....and Giant:
Saratoga Shopping Center - Springfield, VA, 22153
Huntsman Square Shopping Center - Neighborhood Center with Giant Food Store, Retail Shops, Restaurants, Pizza, Hair Salon, Entertainment, Banking, Nails, Subway, Starbucks, Blockbuster Video, Baskin Robbins, Dentist, Medical Center, Cleaners, Springf

Music:
Jaxx Nightclub - An interesting list of artists....

There is lots of new stuff in Kingstowne, as mentioned. An of course there is always Springfield Mall
I second Pane e Vino. That's one place I was thinking of when I mentioned Lorton Town Center. There is a Fireside Grill there too. There is also yet another Giant if you head down Hooes Rd. and head just north on 123 at the Shoppes of Lorton Valley. There is a Shoppers supermarket off of Lorton Road in the Lorton shopping center that also has Glory Days Grill.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:26 AM

393 posts, read 1,202,700 times
There's a Caribou Coffee in Lorton.
A great Thai restaurant in the Saratoga Shopping Center (http://kanjanathaispringfield.com/) (broken link)as well as a great pizza/sub restaurant (Saratoga Pizzeria) there.
Mike's is terrific; I ate at Tommy Thai's (TommyThaiRestaurant) last night; Austin Grill on Old Keene Mill Road; two Panera Restaurants to choose from, and one of my faves, Delia's (http://www.deliaspizzeria.com/).
I've been here 32 years I can't imagine living anywhere else in NoVA. Since, I'm old , I don't know anything about the nightlife here.

Last edited by Kembek; 01-24-2012 at 06:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia