U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:21 PM

429 posts, read 1,008,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I used Tirerack. Got some Michelins for a great price and had them installed by a shop next to my work 6 months ago. The guy who installed priced out tires and couldn't come close to the price I got. The tires have done well, although have become pretty noisy in the last 6 months. Now you would think that is a tire problem, not a tirerack problem. However the guy who installed my tires told me something interesting. Apparently when tire manufacturers make tires they rate them(A,B,C,D I think was the rating system he told me they used). I guess during their inspection process they see some things in certain tires they don't like. The discount tire sellers get these lower rated tires for cheaper, hence why they can offer great prices. So maybe that's why my tires have become noisy? Or my guy could've been blowing hot air? I doubt that because I've used him for awhile and he's always seemed honest. I really will never know I guess, but I found it interesting. I think next time I'll buy my new tires somewhere else just for comparison purposes.
I think you might be talking about traction and temperature ratings. Lower quality tires might have lower ratings, but the same tires should have the same ratings wherever you buy them.

I have had good experiences with tire rack. A mechanic once suggested that I buy tires from tire rack and save a few hundred dollars, but he also recommended that I pay a little more to have them mounted and balanced at the dealership rather than the local garage. He pointed out that the dealership would charge me a little more, but if they dinged my expensive alloy rims, they'd replace them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 01:30 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,550,752 times
Got my tires changed at Costco a few years ago. I liked it, I was quite satisfied. Quick and good service with a wide selection of tires. Although I think if you were a tuner and had like 20 inch rims Costco might not have much of a selection for that on hand.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:14 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,649,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
I think you might be talking about traction and temperature ratings. Lower quality tires might have lower ratings, but the same tires should have the same ratings wherever you buy them.

I have had good experiences with tire rack. A mechanic once suggested that I buy tires from tire rack and save a few hundred dollars, but he also recommended that I pay a little more to have them mounted and balanced at the dealership rather than the local garage. He pointed out that the dealership would charge me a little more, but if they dinged my expensive alloy rims, they'd replace them.
Nah, he was talking about some type of quality rating the manufacturers give tires of the same model upon inspection. I've never worked for a tire manufacturer nor purchased tires directly from a manufacturer so I can't verify how accurate that info is but my mechanic has always seemed on the up & up. All I know is my Michelins I bought from tirerack have gotten pretty loud the last 6 months. The price was good and shipping was fast though, so I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from using them. Just wanted to pass along the bit of info I thought was interesting.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:18 PM

429 posts, read 1,008,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Nah, he was talking about some type of quality rating the manufacturers give tires of the same model upon inspection. I've never worked for a tire manufacturer nor purchased tires directly from a manufacturer so I can't verify how accurate that info is but my mechanic has always seemed on the up & up. All I know is my Michelins I bought from tirerack have gotten pretty loud the last 6 months. The price was good and shipping was fast though, so I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from using them. Just wanted to pass along the bit of info I thought was interesting.
I've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. The temp and traction ratings are A,B,C, though.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,873,408 times
I like Alban Tire in Newington for my beaters. They sell Michelin, BF Goodrich and Uniroyal. Excellent prices and no waiting in crowds at Costco. I bought a set over Christmas break that were made in November...that's fresh!

I don't know how they are on the exotic stuff...they are mainly an industrial tire dealer. They store the earthmover tires outside in the parking lot....I asked the guy if he was afraid somebody would steal them. He said, "not really, the smallest ones weigh 12 THOUSAND pounds...each!".

Old 01-24-2012, 08:48 PM

38 posts, read 80,118 times
Thank you all for your input. Looks like the tires I need are not in stock at most places I've called. I guess this is the bad part about having 20 inch rims. Still need to contact Curry Auto. I don't need to get my tires asap so I may go the TireRack.com or discounttiredirect.com route. Discount tires direct has a slightly better deal on my tires then Tire Rack.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:57 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,444,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRichR6 View Post
Thank you all for your input. Looks like the tires I need are not in stock at most places I've called. I guess this is the bad part about having 20 inch rims. Still need to contact Curry Auto. I don't need to get my tires asap so I may go the TireRack.com or discounttiredirect.com route. Discount tires direct has a slightly better deal on my tires then Tire Rack.
I've used NTB and Firestone shops - NTB for Michelins and Firestone for Bridgestones. I prefer buying from local shops simply because if something goes wrong, I don't have to deal with mail order, etc.

There's also a reason I purposely got the 17" wheels on my new Jeep...I didn't want to mess around with trying to get tires for the 20" rim.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:37 AM

38 posts, read 80,118 times
Update....
So I decided to go with TireVan. They came to my house and installed the tires which was nice. I had pay a bit more for that service but it allowed me to prepare for my Super Bowl party and have a few beers doing so.

Overall, I will happy with TireVan and do recommend them. Thank you to all who helped me.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:50 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,589,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post
I've done both Tire Rack and Costco and prefer Costco myself. It's a nice simple, turnkey solution for a good price and warranty.
BJ'S also has tires if you have a membership there. We've done that and it's easy.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 AM

437 posts, read 1,073,113 times
I would recommend either Tire Rack or BJs, I've used both and been satisfied.

I have a neighbor who owns his own repair shop and he suggested Costco or BJs, as the wholesale prices they have on tires including installation and road hazard warranty can't be beat. I checked the price on some Michelins at BJs with him and he couldn't beat it at his cost, BJs is getting them so cheaply from Michelin.

I also got a nail in one of the tires this week and BJs repaired it under the road hazard warranty, re-balanced the tires and rotated them for me all at no charge - and I was out the door in about 20 minutes.

Just make a few calls and check prices as some places will have your size/make of tire for a better price than elsewhere, there is a lot of variance in price based on what different places have in stock, etc. from my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia