Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 12,873 times

Advertisements

I'm a 20 something moving from Austin, TX to VA to start a job in May.

I'm looking for recommendations neighborhoods in the Arlington/Alexandria that are affordable, young, and good for dogs!

I'm originally from the Northeast so I know the rents are drastically different than the South, but I'm just not sure what neighborhoods are going to fit my lifestyle.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 01:59 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
what is your monthly income? will you have a car payment?

Old 01-24-2012, 02:07 PM

I'm budgeting to be able to spend between 1000 and 1500 on rent. I do have car.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
okay unless you are planning on getting roommates or a studio, you can almost certainly rule out North Arlington and Old Town Alexandria. You may want to look into the 4 mile run area of arlington or the Franconia Springfield area.

You may also be able to get a place in Fairfax by yourself with that budget

Old 01-24-2012, 03:55 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
You should look into getting a roommate cause for 1000 a month and 1 roommate you can get a pretty damn nice highrise in Arlington. Until you find a person to be a roommate, look at North Adams, Potomac Towers has some 1 and maybe even 2 brs for that price. Its within 6 minutes of Courthouse metro and 4 blocks away from what most people would consider the best general region of Arlington (especially when you consider its the most central to Rosslyn and Clarendon).

Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
I agree with the four mile run suggestion. Fairlington has some privately owned 1 bedrooms for that price. Camden Potomac Yard and Reserve at Potomac Yard is Dog-friendly and has small but nice apartments for that price. You can get studios in North Arlington (funner neighborhoods for a 20-something) for the upper part of your range but that would take some looking.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:54 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Where is your job?

If it's out in Sterling/Herndon/Reston, you may find yourself not enjoying life, if you live in North Arlington/Old Town Alexandria and doing your 40-minute commute daily. Also if you're maxing out your rent, you will have less money for beer/socializing. If you're below the 60th percentile in "need to party" you may find the scene in Reston is sufficient.

OTOH, if you're working in DC/Arlington or have a high "need to party," Orange Line Arlington/DC is hard to beat.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:20 AM

100 posts, read 162,537 times
Sharing a house with a few people, provided it's pet friendly, is affordable and a great way to make friends. that's possible throughout arlington, but also particularly in the clarendon-ballston area, which is close to nightlife.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:52 AM

33 posts, read 48,339 times
I hate to say it, but Northern Virginia is not a good place to look for "affordable, young, and good for dogs." It used to be better for finding a cheap crash pad before the real estate prices went nuts. If you're young and moving to this area (I moved here years ago when I was 23), the key is to understand that most of the real nightlife and fun in the area is in DC proper. The primary thing you should be looking for is a relatively safe area that is close to Metro. If you can walk to a Metrorail station from your home, then all of the really good stuff here is easily accessible. Some of the more direct bus routes are also a good bet, especially the various 16 Route buses that travel the Columbia Pike corridor. They take you right to the Pentagon Metro station and let you live in far south Arlington, which is much more affordable.

Arlington has developed some nightlife, but it looks like it's mostly the "highly affluent watering hole/meat market" variety. Think young lawyers who make way too much money for their age. I've always had more fun in DC, but maybe that's just me.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:19 PM

Thanks for all your recommendations and information.

I'm moving up alone, and have had horrible experiences with room rentals. Its just not something I'm totally comfortable with especially coming from out of state.

I wouldn't aboslutely love to live in DC, I prefer a much more city lifestyle, proper but have no idea what neighbors are good or bad.

I was under the impression that it was more affordable to live in NoVa. But apparently thats not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: