U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 930 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

I have been reading alot of posts about the VA-DC commute since yesterday but i had to register and ask this for myself!
I will be commuting from Fairfax to Northern DC 4x a week for 6 weeks and i need to know the best way to do so. I will be travelling during the rush hours..I have to be at work from 9 to 5. I am inclined more towards driving because I dont want to deal with finding a parking spot early in the morning and switching trains and buses..I have read bad reviews about 66 so I am thinking to go with US-50 E/ Arlington blvd...I-395 N...how bad is the traffic there? google map is showing 40 mins...is it safe to say 60 mins or is that wishful thinking? is taking the metro a better option.
please help.
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 04:18 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,656,798 times
Route 50 through 7 corners between graham road and Arlington is hell on earth and I would suggest you not do that. Would you need to switch lines from Orange to Red, I really would encourage you to try the metro, me and my girlfriend use orange all the time to get into the city, if you drive to Vienna or West Falls Church its really quite easy to park.

1) Are you HOV/Hybrid? If not then you can not get to DC through route 66 (last exit before HOV only is 495) it is HOV only.
2) How far are you from the toll road in FFX?
3) Really depends exactly what part of NE yer talking about, if you are barely in NE then I would suggest either 495 to clara barton/river rd or 123 over the river

I can't speak to 395, but from what I hear it is just as bad as 66 and is probably more out of your way if you have to go through the entire city to get to NE.

Taking 50, there is no chance in hell you get there in 40 minutes, thats super wishful thinking, I cant imagine you could get from Fairfax to Arlington via route 50 in 40 minutes let alone NE DC.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:34 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,875,244 times
1. They aren't giving out HOV exemptions anymore even if you buy a hybrid. So 66 is right out.
2. From Fairfax (I assume you mean around Fairfax City), I'd avoid the 50 tie-up by taking 29 to Gallows to 123.

You may want to try Metro anyway, depending on how many transfers you have to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or