Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times

Advertisements

This whole topic is a touchy one for me....I have had so many close calls with bus light runners. My biggest fear is one of my kids getting run down.

For folks that minimize the danger...a quick google turned up two students killed in December alone.

Watch this and see the pain these kids suffered watching their classmate...

13-year-old Summit Township girl killed while boarding school bus | GoErie.com/Erie Times-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 06:06 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
Car54, I appreciate the info. Guess I learned a couple of new things. I'd forgotten how undisciplined and chaotic kids are--at least in the USA. OK, so from now on, I will NOT lean on the horn behind the school bus. (Just kidding--I've never done that, nor would I.)

Get this: When I lived in Japan (in a medium-sized city), the elementary kids walked to school in a line. I remember suddenly happening upon a long line of maybe 7-year-old kids, in identical rain slickers and backpacks, linked I believe by an arm on the shoulder in front of them. I have no idea how this was organized--i.e., did one kid (the one deemed most responsible) start out from his/her house and go to the next house? Or did they all just meet at a designated place, link up arm-to-shoulder, and then start on their trip to school? Amazing discipline, though.

I may have been mistaken re. my mechanic; now that I think about it, I believe he went to ES in NC and eventually went to Marshall HS. So it was probably the ES where he was talking about walking to school.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 01-26-2012 at 06:58 AM..

Old 01-26-2012, 07:47 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
This whole topic is a touchy one for me....I have had so many close calls with bus light runners. My biggest fear is one of my kids getting run down.

For folks that minimize the danger...a quick google turned up two students killed in December alone.

Watch this and see the pain these kids suffered watching their classmate...

13-year-old Summit Township girl killed while boarding school bus | GoErie.com/Erie Times-News
Stories like that break my heart. The part I don't get..."Police questioned the car's driver and later released him." WHAT??

Old 01-26-2012, 07:52 AM

42 posts, read 167,908 times
I totally get that. Some people are obnoxiously impatient, don't care and put lives at risk because of selfish reasons. In my case, I was on a 4 lane road, doing 20mph, and just flaked out right past the bus. I had 4 kids with me at the time--all in car seats. We all make mistakes, I am so remorseful that I did this, I really am. I have no excuse other than I had a distracted moment. Im pretty sure, with te help of my lawyer that I will get the reckless part dropped (because I really think for my case, this is really over kill), and I'll have a charge on my driving record for the next three years. It will never happen again. I think for someone who has never had a ticket in 18 years, this is punishment enough!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 AM

17,372 posts, read 16,518,282 times
The OP should have stopped. But that sounds like a very dangerous spot for kids to be crossing from a school bus. It kind of gives me chills just thinking about it...

Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 AM

No kids cross there! It's just curb side drop off. I got the ticket because the flashing stop sign was out and I passed by. I was coming up to a traffic light and I was paying attention to what was ahead and didn't see the bus sign out which was three lanes over to the left. The cop was watching me the while time and it's a 25mph zone. I was doing 20 at the time. I was never at any time putting kids in danger as far as the drop off was concerned. I just didn't stop. It was a terrible mistake.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:15 AM

Op, what happened to you could happen to anyone.

But I guess they have to err on the side of caution when it comes to school buses. When that sign goes up, we all know to stop. If they start making exceptions to the rule, drivers will get confused and children could get hurt/killed.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:17 AM

I totally understand.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by made-a-mistake View Post
I totally understand.
Sorry this happened. I hope everything works out for you.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Sorry this happened. I hope everything works out for you.
Thank you, I hope so too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia