U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:36 AM

4 posts, read 3,097 times

Advertisements

Thank you Carlingtonian. Its been an honor and lots of pride to be have been offered a Fed job

I am happy I made final selection but I am at Step 10 on the Private sector and have to take a cut of at least 30% to join this position .I am highly skeptical of the outcome from the HR based on the the default step 1 he mentioned for new Fed offers .Would it help to talk to the prospective manager on the situation as some folks here have posted?

Hope I make this last hurdle ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 12:50 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,969,149 times
Glad to help. Since you've been offered the position (even tentatively), I think it couldn't hurt to contact the manager, since he/she obviously wants to hire you. And a lot of the time, HR doesn't keep the hiring manager informed--so they may actually appreciate being contacted. You could emphasize how excited you are about the opportunity and really want to come on board if you can afford it but wonder if there's ever flexibility on that step 1 rule given that it's a big pay cut for you. You could ask specifically about the "superior qualifications" exception.

However, managers are usually limited to what HR tells them their options are. It could be that this particular agency really does have a firm rule that everyone starts at step 1--in which case you'd obviously need to weigh losing your current additional earnings against whatever the gov position offers. The one way to know for sure would be to turn down the offer based on the salary--but that's a gamble where you shouldn't be bluffing.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 09-05-2016 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 02:15 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,130,459 times
I would definitely send the pay stubs. Every agency is different. There was a time that my agency would have matched your Step 10, but with recent budget issues, it's a fight for me to match someone at a step 5. One of the other "codes" where I work does not budge over the step 1. They feel like they have private sector workers knocking down their door (and they do) so they don't feel the need to negotiate at all. If I highly value someone I will work hard to match their salary. If I don't really care and there are 5 others just like you, I might not negotiate.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:52 PM

4,923 posts, read 8,771,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFedaspirant View Post
Thank you Carlingtonian. Its been an honor and lots of pride to be have been offered a Fed job

I am happy I made final selection but I am at Step 10 on the Private sector and have to take a cut of at least 30% to join this position .I am highly skeptical of the outcome from the HR based on the the default step 1 he mentioned for new Fed offers .Would it help to talk to the prospective manager on the situation as some folks here have posted?

Hope I make this last hurdle ....
First, congratulations on your tentative offer. This is what I did when they offered me a GS14 step 1

1). I called the hiring manager & explained the offer and asked "how much room do I have to negotiate?". I told him that this offer is out of question as I make significantly more. He said "negotiate away"

2). Having received the "green light", I called back to the HR and said I would like to make a counter-offer.

3). She said we do not accept counter offers, you can either accept or reject the offer.

4). I then said I will reject the offer as I make significantly more the a GS 14 Step 1

5). She then said send me your paystub + any bonus you've made last year

6). Later I found out her 2nd offer to me required a Director (SES) level signature.

7). She called me back and offered me a GS 14 Step 10, plus accept my industry seniority as government service equivalent thereby giving me a maximum vacation time allow as a civil servant which is 5 weeks a year.

Like ChristineVA said, every agency is different. I'd add that every job negotiation is different. What I would do is determine my bottom line and be willing to walk away. Money is not everything. Maybe this job will bring you more stability, less stress, spend more time with family and friends, fulfill your higher order needs, etc.

Just to add, 6 month prior to my offer I turned down the offer from the same agency as a support contractor with a salary $30K higher. I turned it down without an indication a civil servant offer is coming. So, no. Money is not everything for me when it comes to a job.

Last edited by HB2HSV; 09-05-2016 at 08:33 PM..

Old 09-06-2016, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
7). She called me back and offered me a GS 14 Step 10, plus accept my industry seniority as government service equivalent thereby giving me a maximum vacation time allow as a civil servant which is 5 weeks a year.
Just to let you know, our agency also does the leave negotiation, but you have to specifically ask for it and it requires a separate approval process in our case. Also, the work you do outside the government has to be almost identically related to what you will do inside the government. So I am in a very specific, niche sort of field and each applicant's experience must also be in that niche field. Let's say I do a particular type of finance. Then the applicant must have that particular type. If they have 20 years of financial experience but only 5 of those years are in that specific work, then they will only be awarded 5 years toward leave accrual.

The leave thing is definitely something worth asking for.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:54 AM

522 posts, read 1,611,941 times
Unfortunately, it is my experience that if you are currently a fed employee under the GS pay scale you can not negotiate your salary. I worked in TN as a Fed employee (GS12 Step4) and was offered a job in VA (GS13 Step1). I know it was a long shot to negotiate it since I know it's pretty straight forward when it comes to promotions and moving up in steps. I negotiated with HR with everything I got (experience, education, cost of living, etc) and they couldnt budge from the GS13 Step1; but what they did offer me was a Full PCS move, House Hunting Trip, and Temporary quarters Subsistence allowance for 4 months. So it worked out well!

Old 09-06-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
Unfortunately, it is my experience that if you are currently a fed employee under the GS pay scale you can not negotiate your salary. I worked in TN as a Fed employee (GS12 Step4) and was offered a job in VA (GS13 Step1). I know it was a long shot to negotiate it since I know it's pretty straight forward when it comes to promotions and moving up in steps. I negotiated with HR with everything I got (experience, education, cost of living, etc) and they couldnt budge from the GS13 Step1; but what they did offer me was a Full PCS move, House Hunting Trip, and Temporary quarters Subsistence allowance for 4 months. So it worked out well!
This is true: no salary or leave negotiation once you're in.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:05 PM

4,923 posts, read 8,771,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
I think you got the better end of deal.

Promotion from step 1 to step 4 is almost automatic every year. After that is every 3 years, then is every 5 yrs?

You've gotten more money on what you negotiated than simple step increases. Good job.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:32 PM

200 posts, read 538,528 times
Boy, just to get to an interview for a Federal job is an obstacle. I have been applying to Federal jobs all over the US, since i'm single, since 2002. All I see in the USA government jobs site for most of my applications going back to 2012 are in received status though a few have been not referred. How long does this whole process to hire someone for one job take? I see open jobs I applied to from 2012! And do any of these federal agencies have too much preferences for people of a military background? I have no service background so I am thinking that is the main reason i'm not even getting selected for an interview. Plus, the fact I only have a bachelor's degree and not having a masters degree, I think also significantly contributes to myself in not getting selected for an interview.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subban View Post
Boy, just to get to an interview for a Federal job is an obstacle. I have been applying to Federal jobs all over the US, since i'm single, since 2002. All I see in the USA government jobs site for most of my applications going back to 2012 are in received status though a few have been not referred. How long does this whole process to hire someone for one job take? I see open jobs I applied to from 2012! And do any of these federal agencies have too much preferences for people of a military background? I have no service background so I am thinking that is the main reason i'm not even getting selected for an interview. Plus, the fact I only have a bachelor's degree and not having a masters degree, I think also significantly contributes to myself in not getting selected for an interview.
There is no one easy answer for this. Today, veterans are getting *most* of the referrals on the regular hiring authorities through USA Jobs. While this is an admirable feat the government has undertaken, many hiring managers are very unhappy about it. It's fine to give veterans the foot in the door, but qualified non-veterans are being excluded and only semi to non qualified veterans are being referred.

Getting past that, if you are not very qualified for the position to which you are applying (or you can't make yourself appear qualified) you will automatically be rejected. There are many people who just apply to everything and they don't even tweak/tailor the resume to match the announcement. Those people will never be successful.

USAJobs is spotty about notifications. I don't know if it's actually USAJobs that is the problem or it's the individual agency and how they report. I just recently hired someone using USAJobs. Every one of the candidates received notifications that they were not referred. But there have been times when that didn't happen. I feel like it's something that the HR person at the agency does when they complete their hiring packages. It's very frustrating. If you haven't heard anything in that long, the job is not really open and they have most likely hired for it. There is a timeline on these things and if you haven't seen any response in 6-8 weeks, consider it over with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia