Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:11 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I work for the DoD and once you are in the government and jump to the next grade, you cannot negotiate higher. You just go to the first eligible step in that grade and, correctly, for you, it is a GS-13 Step 1. I have never heard of an existing employee being able to negotiate a promotion higher than what the "formula" allows.
Good to know! Maybe you'd know the answer to this: What if you're going from a GS position to a paybanded position? Say I'm a 13-3 (96K) and (since I would theoretically have time in grade) want to get an offer equivalent to a 14-1 (106k). Do hiring managers in payband systems have the flexibility to do that? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 05:53 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
Quote:
I work for the DoD and once you are in the government and jump to the next grade, you cannot negotiate higher. You just go to the first eligible step in that grade and, correctly, for you, it is a GS-13 Step 1. I have never heard of an existing employee being able to negotiate a promotion higher than what the "formula" allows.
Christine is correct in that, in your case, it would be a GS-13/step 1 given your current grade and step. What you usually do when going up a grade is to go two steps forward from your current grade/step (e.g., GS-12/2 to a GS-12/4) and find the step that is as much or more than that salary.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:42 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Good to know! Maybe you'd know the answer to this: What if you're going from a GS position to a paybanded position? Say I'm a 13-3 (96K) and (since I would theoretically have time in grade) want to get an offer equivalent to a 14-1 (106k). Do hiring managers in payband systems have the flexibility to do that? Thanks!
I can't say this for certain; however, I think that once you are "in" the government, your ability to negotiate salary, even going into a paybanded position, is gone. At least in our agency, there was always a formula for it when this happened. I believe that you got a 5-6% increase over you current salary when you were hired into a paybanded position.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I can't say this for certain; however, I think that once you are "in" the government, your ability to negotiate salary, even going into a paybanded position, is gone. At least in our agency, there was always a formula for it when this happened. I believe that you got a 5-6% increase over you current salary when you were hired into a paybanded position.
Wow, you guys are cheap! (Actually, that's pretty much in line with the two-step increase one gets when going to another GS position in the same grade--about 6.4%).

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 02-05-2014 at 03:54 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,812 times
Does anyone know if there is a similar ability to negotiate with judiciary jobs covered under the CPS - court personnel system pay scale? Also, I currently work 32 hours per week. While the salary they are offering for the federal 40+ hour per week job is higher than my current salary, it is not higher than what my salary would be based upon a 40+ hour week.

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notinks View Post
Does anyone know if there is a similar ability to negotiate with judiciary jobs covered under the CPS - court personnel system pay scale? Also, I currently work 32 hours per week. While the salary they are offering for the federal 40+ hour per week job is higher than my current salary, it is not higher than what my salary would be based upon a 40+ hour week.

Thanks!
Everything is negotiable till someone refuses to negotiate; I would bet they have enough salary flexibility to give you more than they're initially offering. Can't hurt to ask.

If your judicial pay is calculated hourly (as it is for salaried full-time GS employees), you could simply use that as the basis for negotiation. If they offer X annually, use the OPM salary PDFs for Wash/Baltimore/NOVA to see how their hourly rate compares to what you're getting now:

General Schedule

Old 02-22-2014, 09:48 AM

261 posts, read 1,667,125 times
I was able to negotiate my salary when I joined the govt. I got an initial offer at GS-# Step 1 but I countered saying I wanted salary-matching, which would put me at a Step 7. I had to give them a copy of my paycheck stubs and an updated copy of my resume, but eventually (2-3 months later) I got a new offer letter at the Step 7. The trick is you have to be willing to wait an extra couple of months and the hiring agency has to like you enough to be willing to do the extra paperwork drill.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 13,981 times
This may be too old of a thread to get a response but I'll give it a try. I was offered a federal job at GS-7 step 1. The salary is significantly less than what I currently make and I responded asking if there was room for negotiation. The HR person called me and said that I needed to submit a letter requesting the higher salary based on superior qualifications and include the pay stub. My question is about how to write the letter. Does anyone have experience with this and know how long it should be (get it to one page or is it okay to be longer) and should it be an attachment or in the body of the email? Thanks for any advice!

Old 05-16-2014, 04:22 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc103 View Post
This may be too old of a thread to get a response but I'll give it a try. I was offered a federal job at GS-7 step 1. The salary is significantly less than what I currently make and I responded asking if there was room for negotiation. The HR person called me and said that I needed to submit a letter requesting the higher salary based on superior qualifications and include the pay stub. My question is about how to write the letter. Does anyone have experience with this and know how long it should be (get it to one page or is it okay to be longer)
and should it be an attachment or in the body of the email? Thanks for any advice!
I am just going through hiring someone now. They have really, really tightened up on superior quals.

So, yes, you will need the paystub to prove that you currently make $XXXX. Then you need to write a justification outlining how the skills you have today from your current/past experience DIRECTLY relate to the skills you need for this job you may accept. You have to prove to them that you are beyond an entry level GS-7 Step 1. It's not really all about the level of salary you make right now because, despite what the press says, some private industry folks' salaries are fairly inflated yet they don't have the skills to command the "expert" level of awarding you a GS-7, Step 10, unless you can prove that you already have those skills.

I would write it up as an attachment to the e-mail with it titled "Justification for Superior Qualifications." Although, it would also be fine to put it in the e-mail. They won't make the determination on the format. They will solely make the determination on your skill level.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:30 PM

5 posts, read 13,981 times
Thanks for the information, much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia