U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 08:58 PM

519 posts, read 1,607,339 times

Advertisements

I recently started a thread about moving from Memphis to NOVA (job offer). I'm currently a GS 12 Step 4 with the Department of Army and was offered a Job at GS 13 with the Department of Interior.

I couldn't really find any information besides what i can find on these forums about current government employees negotiating step increases prior to accepting a job offer. Is this difficult to do?

My only concern is that i would not be able to make enough living in the NOVA area (job's in Falls Church) on a GS 13 Step 1. I know with the two step bump I would still be at the GS 13 Step 1 (with locality pa and all).

Would it be possible for me to negotiate a higher step? Not sure if this is standard protocol but for the 2nd phase of my interview they wanted to fly me out (but i couldn't because of prior commitments) but opted to do a video conference.

Does government agencies have the flexibility to put you at a higher step if they wanted to or are they limited within OPM guidelines?

As much as I would love to take this position; I may need to pass if I couldn't move up higher in step (due to the high cost of living and having to support a family of 5).

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 09:25 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,526,835 times
I doubt that they will be able to offer you above GS 13/1 as you are currently are a GS 12/4.

If you really want the job - you need to thinks strongly about changing the way your family lives. How about a townhouse in Reston that is close to share open space with easy access to the toll road?

11050 GRANBY CT, RESTON, VA | MLS FX8525896 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11016 GRANBY CT, RESTON, VA | MLS FX8548432 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11009 BARTON HILL CT, RESTON, VA | MLS FX8621306 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11297 SILENTWOOD LN, RESTON, VA | MLS FX8632985 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11290 SILENTWOOD LN, RESTON, VA | MLS FX8593215 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11243 SILENTWOOD LN, RESTON, VA | MLS FX8605990 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Old 05-17-2015, 10:20 PM

336 posts, read 268,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
I recently started a thread about moving from Memphis to NOVA (job offer). I'm currently a GS 12 Step 4 with the Department of Army and was offered a Job at GS 13 with the Department of Interior.

I couldn't really find any information besides what i can find on these forums about current government employees negotiating step increases prior to accepting a job offer. Is this difficult to do?

My only concern is that i would not be able to make enough living in the NOVA area (job's in Falls Church) on a GS 13 Step 1. I know with the two step bump I would still be at the GS 13 Step 1 (with locality pa and all).

Would it be possible for me to negotiate a higher step? Not sure if this is standard protocol but for the 2nd phase of my interview they wanted to fly me out (but i couldn't because of prior commitments) but opted to do a video conference.

Does government agencies have the flexibility to put you at a higher step if they wanted to or are they limited within OPM guidelines?

As much as I would love to take this position; I may need to pass if I couldn't move up higher in step (due to the high cost of living and having to support a family of 5).

Did you apply to an "all U.S. citizens" or a "status candidates only" announcement?

If you applied to an "all U.S. citizens" announcement, then the starting step may be negotiable. If you applied to a "status candidates only" announcement, then the two-grade rule applies and there is no room to negotiate. Of course, if your performance reviews are good, then you may have a shot at a GS14 supervisory position in a few years. Generally, GS14's are Branch Chiefs and GS15's are Division Chiefs.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:07 AM

504 posts, read 1,024,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post

Keep in mind that the first 3 (or 4, I don't remember) steps would get step increase every year (unless one really screws up). Once you get your 1-year at 13, you would also qualified to apply for 14 positions... Possibilities are out there in this area.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:33 PM

Thanks....I applied under status candidates; nothing like nsps though. I may accept the job still because of the work schedules and flexibility they have.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:44 AM

504 posts, read 1,024,090 times
Do they pay for relocation or moving expense?

Old 05-24-2015, 06:05 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
Sometimes. It will be in the announcement, I think, if they do. They always ask me if I want to pay for that as we are planning the announcement. It's decided before-hand.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:10 PM

4,895 posts, read 8,738,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
They should tell you when they offer you the job, along with all other benefits. Also ask if they pay for a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with guarantee home sale. A PCS will pay for your moving expense and a guarantee home sale will pay for the appraised value of your home if you are not getting an offer in X days, plus closing cost of selling and buying your new home at your new station.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Sometimes. It will be in the announcement, I think, if they do. They always ask me if I want to pay for that as we are planning the announcement. It's decided before-hand.
Yes PCS and TQSE is authorized, i wouldn't make this move if it wasn't.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:25 PM

22 posts, read 17,559 times
Default $

Just be mindful that private sector jobs are able to pay more because of the overhead. If you're able to negotiate the offer, don't expect it to be above what you're already making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
So, I just got an offer from a federal agency. Is there any room for negotiating? I've heard no (from friends, colleagues). But I have also read that, yes, you can negotiate.

I didn't expect the feds to totally match my private sector salary, but what they offered kind of surprised me. And the surprise was not in a good way. :-)

Thanks for any insights or advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia