Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:50 PM

617 posts, read 1,356,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
Quick update: I was able to raise the salary 11 steps (had to stay in the same Grade). However, I had to receive "superior status" ratings and submit my paystubs to prove current compensation.
I'm confused, aren't there only 10 steps per Grade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,215 times
Maybe you're right...10 steps. (Aren't there 12?)

Old 04-18-2013, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,346 times
Default Tentative offer

I received a call for tentative offer from Fed agency today. Salary HR person told me seems to be little lower than what I am getting now ($3000). I am bit confused. How to negotiate.
HR person said to send me offer letter etc. I am not sure how can I ask atleast the same amount I am getting now. I like this offer, but offordable only if they are agreed to my current salary. Any advise..

Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadakam View Post
I received a call for tentative offer from Fed agency today. Salary HR person told me seems to be little lower than what I am getting now ($3000). I am bit confused. How to negotiate.
HR person said to send me offer letter etc. I am not sure how can I ask atleast the same amount I am getting now. I like this offer, but offordable only if they are agreed to my current salary. Any advise..
The easiest way to get a match in salary is to request that you be hired at the step within the grade of the job offer that comes closest to your current salary. You'll need to provide evidence of your current salary to HR, but the selecting official can request a match in salary with a simple justification letter. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:48 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
The easiest way to get a match in salary is to request that you be hired at the step within the grade of the job offer that comes closest to your current salary. You'll need to provide evidence of your current salary to HR, but the selecting official can request a match in salary with a simple justification letter. Good luck.
This is true as long as your current pay does not exceed the grade the job is set for.

For instance, if you make $3,000 more than a GS-12, Step 10, you will not be able to negotiate.

I'm a little concerned that the HR person said that the job is offered at $3,000 lower than what you make. This tells me that you make more than the highest step in that grade. If you fell in the middle, the HR person wouldn't have worded it that way.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:37 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
This is true as long as your current pay does not exceed the grade the job is set for.

For instance, if you make $3,000 more than a GS-12, Step 10, you will not be able to negotiate.

I'm a little concerned that the HR person said that the job is offered at $3,000 lower than what you make. This tells me that you make more than the highest step in that grade. If you fell in the middle, the HR person wouldn't have worded it that way.
Christine is correct. If your salary is less that a step 10 in the grade offered, you can request a match.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 8,346 times
Actually considered for GS-12 step 1, not sure how it's going to be. Sent Payslip. Waiting to hear....

Old 05-06-2013, 03:24 PM

790 posts, read 1,881,215 times
Gadakam -- you should be ok. As others have mentioned, the problem hits when you are at the top (step 10) of your grade and there is no where to go within that grade. I had to submit my paystub, too, although several peeps on this site said "don't do it!" It's the only way to negotiate with the Feds, though. You're doing the right thing.

Good luck to you! I love my Federal job -- I have a great team, wonderful hours, low to no stress....I am so amazed every day!

Old 02-04-2014, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,419 times
Question Fed looking to negotiate a new position within same agency

Im currently applying for a position within my agency that would increase my pay from a GS-12/2 to a GS-13/1. They already voiced their interest in me and have said I have the job even before the announcement was available. I wanted to ask everyones opinion if I should negotiate for something higher GS13-5 or even GS-10? I do bring a lot of unmatched skills, that other candidates cant offer. They are only offering a handful of these positions for the entire U.S. Basically one person per region. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:39 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEDNegotiator View Post
Im currently applying for a position within my agency that would increase my pay from a GS-12/2 to a GS-13/1. They already voiced their interest in me and have said I have the job even before the announcement was available. I wanted to ask everyones opinion if I should negotiate for something higher GS13-5 or even GS-10? I do bring a lot of unmatched skills, that other candidates cant offer. They are only offering a handful of these positions for the entire U.S. Basically one person per region. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
I work for the DoD and once you are in the government and jump to the next grade, you cannot negotiate higher. You just go to the first eligible step in that grade and, correctly, for you, it is a GS-13 Step 1. I have never heard of an existing employee being able to negotiate a promotion higher than what the "formula" allows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia