Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If kids are going to school 180 days, what difference does it make when they start? Is there something better about getting more of June off than August?
Some might say that the schools that start in August have more time in class before the spring SOL testing window. I don't know why they can't just shift the testing window. For example, if one county starts two weeks earlier than Fairfax, then why can't the testing window be two weeks later for Fairfax?

At least the pool water is usually warmer in August than it is in June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Some might say that the schools that start in August have more time in class before the spring SOL testing window. I don't know why they can't just shift the testing window. For example, if one county starts two weeks earlier than Fairfax, then why can't the testing window be two weeks later for Fairfax?

At least the pool water is usually warmer in August than it is in June.
SOLs can be shifted but AP exams are national and can't. But no ones at the pools in August now, they're all on vacation!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,761 times
For AP testing, it's a huge disadvantage. Nevermind that June is basically a wash at all levels--once testing is done, the brains shut down on pre-summer preparations.

My students are taking SOLs through the 8th of June this year (mine is the last one in the building), so there won't be that much down time at the end, but other classes are taking them mid-May...which gives them 4-5 weeks of trying to get the kids to care about anything.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
SOLs can be shifted but AP exams are national and can't. But no ones at the pools in August now, they're all on vacation!
True. I wasn't thinking about AP exams.

Hey, I'm at the pool in August!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
For AP testing, it's a huge disadvantage. Nevermind that June is basically a wash at all levels--once testing is done, the brains shut down on pre-summer preparations.

My students are taking SOLs through the 8th of June this year (mine is the last one in the building), so there won't be that much down time at the end, but other classes are taking them mid-May...which gives them 4-5 weeks of trying to get the kids to care about anything.
Talk about early, the 5th and 8th grade writing SOL tests are in March.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Talk about early, the 5th and 8th grade writing SOL tests are in March.
That's because someone or ones have to read all those thousands and thousands of short papers. Although next year, at least in Fairfax, the writing SOL will be online so at least the readers won't be dicyphering hand writing. I can't imagine that job.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If kids are going to school 180 days, what difference does it make when they start? Is there something better about getting more of June off than August?
I was wondering the same thing. When I was a kid it was common in my district for school to start the day after Labor Day.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:39 PM

Update:

Virginia House Panel OKs Pre-Labor Day School Openings | NBC4 Washington

Old 01-30-2012, 05:13 PM

27 posts, read 56,767 times
I really hope they can get this bill passed. I know it is a long shot b/c $$$ is what they listen to.

It's just really late to start school Sept. 7th or 8th! If the Republicans are all for localized decision-making, then this SHOULD be a no-brainer to let local school boards decide when to start their school year. Of course, they are actually for the corporate interests more than they care about local decision making.

Why should Fairfax or Arlington be held up on starting school just b/c Va. Beach wants to keep their hotels filled up longer? Who can we contact to push for supporting this change?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,158 times
The Republics are for anyone who can donate the most $$$, my fomrer rep basically gave them that spill after he left office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia