Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 AM

298 posts, read 680,846 times

Advertisements

We lived without cable for nearly 10 years. We have cable now but turn it on maybe a couple times per year. We do watch a lot of Netflix streaming, however.

One thing I'd say to Carlingtonian - when over the air changed to digital, it was great for us. We get nearly 30 channels free over the air. We used to get 5 or 6 analog channels. Digital comes in perfectly, no freezing or pixelation at all. Maybe you are in an area where there is more obstruction? In our basement, reception isn't as good on a couple of the channels, but it's still way, way better than analog ever was. Our kids love 26-3 (PBS Kids) and 66-2 (Qubo).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Most HOAs prohibit external antennas from being erected on your roof. You have to mount one inside your attic.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
We lived without cable for nearly 10 years. We have cable now but turn it on maybe a couple times per year. We do watch a lot of Netflix streaming, however.

One thing I'd say to Carlingtonian - when over the air changed to digital, it was great for us. We get nearly 30 channels free over the air. We used to get 5 or 6 analog channels. Digital comes in perfectly, no freezing or pixelation at all. Maybe you are in an area where there is more obstruction? In our basement, reception isn't as good on a couple of the channels, but it's still way, way better than analog ever was. Our kids love 26-3 (PBS Kids) and 66-2 (Qubo).
Wow! Very intriguing. Things have definitely changed then--or maybe we were just in a weird little spot geographically. This would've been I think in 2009 when we tried it out.

I remember when I was a kid, there were something like 20 free OTA channels, including all the networks, plus PBS and about 4-5 independent channels.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:47 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
- Hulu.com has all the TV programs worth watching. You can connect a laptop to your TV through the HDMI port.

- Free DVDs at the public library and RedBox can effectively replace or augment Netflix.
I cut the cable for about six months and then got it back again (as part of a internet/cable/phone package deal from Verizon). My Verizon bill is $130. Before I was paying about $80 a month (by the time you included high speed internet and the subscription cost for Netflix and Hulu). I did save money though when I cut the cable and it is very doable.

But it really depends on your personal taste. Be sure to check out what shows you can and can't get on Hulu and Netflix. Hulu literally had no shows that I watched. I ended up watching Netflix movies a lot more, but most of the Netflix "TV shows" were, again, not things I typically watch. After a while of missing my favorite shows, I decided, for me, it was worth the extra $40 a month.

So it's doable, yes. And you will save money. But do your research first. For some, it works out great because they still see all their shows, etc... but if you have a different taste than mainstream/most popular stuff, it might not work out.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:18 AM

33 posts, read 48,336 times
Most of the good, intelligent programming for grown-ups is now on cable networks like AMC and FX, so it would be hard to give that up, since those often aren't on Hulu and can't be gotten on Netflix until the DVDs are released.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:06 AM

298 posts, read 680,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charveldude View Post
Most of the good, intelligent programming for grown-ups is now on cable networks like AMC and FX, so it would be hard to give that up, since those often aren't on Hulu and can't be gotten on Netflix until the DVDs are released.
I agree - I can certainly understand how you'd get addicted and would miss the good shows. I remember when we first got rid of cable years ago and wondered how we would ever survive. After a month or so, we were kind of shocked that we didn't miss it at all.

Now that we have kids, the TV is on occasionally, but still very little. I am no evangelist for a "no TV" lifestyle (I will leave that to this guy: Area Man Constantly Mentioning He Doesn't Own A Television | The Onion - America's Finest News Source), I'm just saying I bet you'd be surprised how easy it is to give up cable.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:15 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,611,928 times
For all those who are dropping cable and going to internet only TV, is the whole family sitting around the computer monitor to watch TV or what?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:44 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
For all those who are dropping cable and going to internet only TV, is the whole family sitting around the computer monitor to watch TV or what?
You certainly can do that, however many modern TVs directly connect to the Internet via hard-wired or wireless connections.

Our Vizio TV (somewhat larger than a computer monitor...) wirelessly connects to our household router the same way our computers, DSIs, and WIIs do. Though the Vizio doesn't (yet) have a browser (Drat! They make too much money selling "app space" to places like Hulu, I'd bet) it DOES have a few dozen "applications" that themselves can connect to Internet sources of video - Netflix, Amazon, ESPN, Hulu, whatever. Many TVs from other manufacturers do the same thing.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:01 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charveldude View Post
Yeah, I missed Discovery, TLC, History Channel, Nat Geo, and BBC (and all those music stations). I originally gave up cable in spring and summer--but now that it's the winter months, I love sitting down at night and watching all my recorded episodes of "The American Revolution" or "Life Without People" and "Doctor Who."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
You certainly can do that, however many modern TVs directly connect to the Internet via hard-wired or wireless connections.

Our Vizio TV (somewhat larger than a computer monitor...) wirelessly connects to our household router the same way our computers, DSIs, and WIIs do. Though the Vizio doesn't (yet) have a browser (Drat! They make too much money selling "app space" to places like Hulu, I'd bet) it DOES have a few dozen "applications" that themselves can connect to Internet sources of video - Netflix, Amazon, ESPN, Hulu, whatever. Many TVs from other manufacturers do the same thing.
You can also use something like a Ruku (think of it as a "cable box" for internet TV). I know you can also use a Wii to hook up Netflix to your TV.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:11 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I know you can also use a Wii to hook up Netflix to your TV.
I wonder if there's enough power in the WII for Internet TV - never tried.

However, you reminded me that many DVD players these days themselves can connect up to the Internet, thus even an "older" TV could be used for Internet TV watching if one has a modern DVD player (like Blu-Ray).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia