U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:34 AM

7,925 posts, read 9,636,584 times

Advertisements

We have a car to donate. Can anyone recommend charity/ organization that you have donated a car to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 05:59 AM

204 posts, read 590,560 times
We donated our car last year to a member of our church who had gone to the church seeking assistance. The church had the transaction coordinated through Catholic Charities in Arlington. You might want to contact CC directly as they may have someone in need and you can get a full tax deduction that way. From what I understand now, in order to take a full tax deduction on a vehicle donation, the car must be used by someone (not sold by the organization for cash gain).

Old 01-28-2012, 06:12 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times
My parents donated their last car to Melwood. It took a few months after they donated but Melwood sold the car and provided them the receipt so they could claim the "sold amount" on their taxes.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:20 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,313,751 times
I've donated half a dozen vehicles through the National Kidney Foundation. They were one of the few programs around at the start, and I've just kept using them. Quite efficient except for once when the towing people didn't show up for a couple of months. These days, almost any charity will take your car. Or boat or airplane. Times have changed.

You don't need to wait for the charity to do anything with the car, however. Your tax deduction is effective as of the date you sign over the title, and it is equal to the estimated fair market value for a car of the same year, make, and model with the same options in the same condition in the same region. You can narrow that down pretty easily using an on-line blue-book, but use the private party sales prices not the dealer sales prices.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:05 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,957,841 times
You can also donate it to NPR: Car Donation | WAMU 88.5 - American University Radio.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:46 AM

11,358 posts, read 20,150,912 times
I had a BAD experience w/Melwood when I donated, I don't recommend them. You might also check w/your local fire depts. (to use for training) and/or schools.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:57 AM

173 posts, read 500,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I've donated half a dozen vehicles through the National Kidney Foundation. They were one of the few programs around at the start, and I've just kept using them. Quite efficient except for once when the towing people didn't show up for a couple of months. These days, almost any charity will take your car. Or boat or airplane. Times have changed.

You don't need to wait for the charity to do anything with the car, however. Your tax deduction is effective as of the date you sign over the title, and it is equal to the estimated fair market value for a car of the same year, make, and model with the same options in the same condition in the same region. You can narrow that down pretty easily using an on-line blue-book, but use the private party sales prices not the dealer sales prices.
The tax law changed on this a few years ago... Now you can only claim blue-book value if your car is actually used by the charity you donate it to. For instance, we donated a car several years ago to BARN, a Bristow-based organization that gave the car we donated directly to one of its residents. If you donate to an organization that turns around and resells the car (which most of them do), you can only deduct the amount the car was actually sold for. FWIW, I think BARN now resells its cars instead of giving them directly to those in need.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:17 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mominbristow View Post
The tax law changed on this a few years ago... Now you can only claim blue-book value if your car is actually used by the charity you donate it to. For instance, we donated a car several years ago to BARN, a Bristow-based organization that gave the car we donated directly to one of its residents. If you donate to an organization that turns around and resells the car (which most of them do), you can only deduct the amount the car was actually sold for. FWIW, I think BARN now resells its cars instead of giving them directly to those in need.

This was my understanding also. You could no longer deduct blue book value unless the charity sold or used your car.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 PM

951 posts, read 1,290,082 times
spencgr

It's great that you want to donate your car to charity but there are a few steps you need to take to protect yourself.

Make absolutely and positively sure that the title is legally transferred. Some sketchier charities skip this step but this leaves you legally responsible for any parking tickets, accidents, or crimes that the vehicle is involved in by whomever winds up driving it after it leaves your control. This is not well known and certainly not advertised by the various charity recipients.

See Donating Your Vehicle To Charity

Old 01-28-2012, 05:59 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
If you want it to go to charity, I think it'd be simpler to just sell the car and then donate the proceeds to the charity of your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia