Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 PM

531 posts, read 1,428,781 times

Advertisements

I toured a lot of privately owned preschools and daycare centers. Then I realized that Loudoun County's Park and Recreation Department actually operated a few preschools and daycare centers as well.

The one I went to (Loudoun Valley Community Center) really impressed me. Because it is operated by the county, the building and classrooms are much generous in size. The playground is 5-6 times larger than many of the expensive, privately owned daycares such as Winwood or Goddard. I was told that all teachers held college degrees.

I am wondering if anyone has personal experience with these county operated preschools and centers, especially Loudoun Valley Community Center in Purcellville. Is the quality of care as impressive as their facility? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 05:05 AM

15 posts, read 37,252 times
My daughter goes to after-k at Loudoun Valley. She loves it.They have an amazing staff.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:56 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
One of my friend's sent her kids to pre-K at the one in Lovettsville. She never had any issues and she recommended that I check out the one in Purcellville for my kids. My kids weren't old enough at the time so we go elsewhere in P-ville.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:53 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
One of my friend's sent her kids to pre-K at the one in Lovettsville.
A friend of mine took her kids there too and loved it.

A neighbor of mine takes hers to the Douglas Community center one and has no complaints. Their kid seems really happy after coming home and always brings artwork with her. I've been at that playground several times when the kids come out to play and their teachers seem mature and have everyone in order. I would imagine there is less turnaround since the county benefits are pretty good.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:01 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I feel comfortable now to send my little one there.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:20 PM

I registered my son on the wait list of Loudoun Valley Community Center's daycare program two years ago. Two years later, I was told that his position finally moved into top ten. But they still don't have an opening for him yet. I am wondering who can actually get into these programs if my son is not able to get in after two year's waiting.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:40 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
I registered my son on the wait list of Loudoun Valley Community Center's daycare program two years ago. Two years later, I was told that his position finally moved into top ten. But they still don't have an opening for him yet. I am wondering who can actually get into these programs if my son is not able to get in after two year's waiting.
Could it be the one you're trying to get him to is either smaller than the rest of them or is more in demand? Sorry you have to wait for so long, that seems like a long wait. But maybe after the summer the situation will be better once some kids start kindergarten etc.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Could it be the one you're trying to get him to is either smaller than the rest of them or is more in demand? Sorry you have to wait for so long, that seems like a long wait. But maybe after the summer the situation will be better once some kids start kindergarten etc.
They only have one class for the daycare program. The preschool program which is half day, has multiple classes. Maybe that's why the wait is this long.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 AM

198 posts, read 358,246 times
I'm not familiar with this particular facility, but at most of the daycares I've talked to, siblings get priority over "new" families, so it might be that with the few openings, they are being filled by siblings of other students or children of staff members. Also, he's now two years older than when you registered him, so the spot he's waiting for would be in a different class. If that class of kids in his age group was already full two years ago and the kids keep moving up without many leaving, there may be very few openings in his age group. I would suspect that there are not a lot of kids leaving the school if the families are happy with the facility because many families moving to that area are trying to settle, I would think. (On the other hand, if there are more available slots at the higher age group, then this idea probably doesn't apply...)

Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA_Lurker View Post
Also, he's now two years older than when you registered him, so the spot he's waiting for would be in a different class. If that class of kids in his age group was already full two years ago and the kids keep moving up without many leaving, there may be very few openings in his age group. I would suspect that there are not a lot of kids leaving the school if the families are happy with the facility because many families moving to that area are trying to settle, I would think. (On the other hand, if there are more available slots at the higher age group, then this idea probably doesn't apply...)
The daycare only has one class for children three to five years old. I registered my son before he even turned one. Now he turned three and moved from #90 on the wait list to the top ten. I think for most people who register their children at three the wait is pretty meaningless because their children will need to go to kindergarten by the time they move to the top of the wait list. The sibling and staff's children situation you mentioned makes sense. That may be a big factor in determining a very small admission rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia