Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 PM

939 posts, read 1,892,134 times

Advertisements

Seems like there's always being something built around here, but by the time I found out about it, it's already sold out or spoken for. Without knowing specific development names and locations, does anyone have a good site that aggregates future condo projects? There used to be one called "http://www.onlynewcondos.com/", which doesn't seem like it's been updated in years..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
DCMud covers highrise construction and new construction. They discuss nova also.

For actual real estate I always use ...and search under new and condo and high rise as my search functions.

For construction that doesnt exist yet, I do lots of research and put it on my own site. As a heads up, not many developers are making condos right now due to the market, most new highrises coming out in the next 3 years are anticipated to be apartment only unless the developer is trying to recover capital with one building to offset the construction of another apartment highrise.

I wish there was more of a mandate to make highrise condos, I love the one I live in, and after living in it I dont think I could ever live in a house again. Its so much simpler of a lifestyle without having to worry about maintaining everything. Instead I get to spend more time with my family.

Oh and also the following website thread is covering all the new highrise work in this region http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=107858&page=6 Lots of really cool pictures of the projects expected in the next 5 years in Tysons, Reston, Falls Church, and Merrifield. There is a separate thread in that website for Arlington also.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-31-2012 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: can only refer to generic MLS sites, not realtor-driven ones

Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
DCMud covers highrise construction and new construction. They discuss nova also.

For actual real estate I always use ...and search under new and condo and high rise as my search functions.

For construction that doesnt exist yet, I do lots of research and put it on my own site. As a heads up, not many developers are making condos right now due to the market, most new highrises coming out in the next 3 years are anticipated to be apartment only unless the developer is trying to recover capital with one building to offset the construction of another apartment highrise.

I wish there was more of a mandate to make highrise condos, I love the one I live in, and after living in it I dont think I could ever live in a house again. Its so much simpler of a lifestyle without having to worry about maintaining everything. Instead I get to spend more time with my family.

Oh and also the following website thread is covering all the new highrise work in this region TYSONS CORNER | Development Thread - Page 6 - SkyscraperPage Forum Lots of really cool pictures of the projects expected in the next 5 years in Tysons, Reston, Falls Church, and Merrifield. There is a separate thread in that website for Arlington also.
Thanks for the info. I share your sentiments about high rises. I've lived in a medium rise (10 stories) for a while now, and if I'm forced (by prices) continue living in condos, I will never go back to a "garden style" garbage building again. What are your feelings on Merrifield development over the next few years? There's a lot of big talk about a Reston Town Centre type setup once it's complete, but it's hard to imagine at this point. Considering it's proximity to 50, 495, 66 and a dedicated Orange Line metro stop, current prices seem pretty low and I'd like to get in before the go up.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:50 PM

I really like the plans for Reston Station (the mixed used residential development connected to Wiehle). Its really well done by Comstock, but I think its going to be apartment likely which is a real shame because I think there are more than a small percentage of people who like living in condo style high rises. If you want more of an established commercial area (ie more options on jobs) Tysons/Merrifield is more stable for job market. Reston is much better if you are looking for more space though as theres definitely a 20% increase in price between the two locals. Falls Church has some nice ones that are up and coming along route 7 and its right next to West Falls Church.

I was faced the option of a house in Ashburn, a townhouse in Herndon, or a small condo in Tysons for my first place (I saved for a very long time). I went with a condo because of the hidden savings. Utilities are paid, house insurance is only 15 dollars, my drive cost was 100-200 dollars less a month, I dont have to shovel snow, I dont have to mow a lawn, gym is free, etc etc.

At the end of the day, it was the best decision I ever made, because now I get what a community really is, I know the people of my building, we talk, we meet up at the roof top for parties and dinners. And the best thing of all is that I have 2 hours of my life back from when I used to drive from Herndon to work 1 hour each way. People dont realize what a difference those two hours make, I get in at 7:30 now and leave at 4 and get to hang out with my family. I just wish I could show people how good life can be if they give up the things that arent important, space and material goods and 3 cars and show them that you can live a great life in a condo also.

Last edited by tysonsengineer; 01-31-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 05:56 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Did you guys see the ArlNow post today about the new six-story condo building coming to Columbia Pike?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 PM

Hmmmm looks nice. I like the fact that the first comment is "ugh a 6story monstrosity" and the poster suggests putting in a 2 story condo.

A 2 story condo kinda defeats the point no? The reason why these are getting popular is because they arent cookie cutter low-cost garden styles. Oh well, atleast its getting built. The more people see well done ones, the more people will see how nice they can be.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:45 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
Is there really a square mile of undeveloped land left in NOVA left to build on?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 PM

Theres more than that, a square mile is only 640 acres, theres a lot more than 640 lefts in eastern fairfax let alone all of fairfax, and definitely let alone all of Nova. Where did you read that?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:50 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
DC urban turf has a pipeline feature Pipeline: New condos and apartments coming to DC metro area that shows all condo/rental apt projects recently completed, under construction, or planned in the metro area (and you can select the NoVa one using their filter) It does NOT provide a way to select the mixed use ones only, but its not hard to figure out which those are from the project descriptions.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:06 PM

I found that one, but it seems like many of these upcoming developments don't even have websites, floorplans or pricing information, just sort of vague information and drawings. I used a little google-fu and tracked down a bunch of them, but couldn't find much more. Thanks for the link though, repped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia