U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-01-2012, 11:53 AM

1,002 posts, read 832,553 times
It has been a very mild winter ..I was mowing my lawn right before Christmas break!
Compared to the past couple of years it is a nice break..Maybe is related to El Nino?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-01-2012, 11:55 AM

5,074 posts, read 2,924,570 times
It's not uncommon at all for February to have days or a week of wonderfully warm weather. And then return to blustery cold and snow. So far this winter we've dodged blustery cold and for the most part, snow.

Look at this for record highs in February. Keep in mind that single days with record high probably had boundary days of temps close to the high.

Daily Weather Averages and Records for Washington, DC

Unread 02-01-2012, 01:09 PM

38 posts, read 35,301 times
Keep the warm weather coming! I'm from FL and I'm loving this weather.

Unread 02-01-2012, 01:25 PM

1,421 posts, read 906,730 times
i thought Al Gore made up global warming?

seriously though, this is one of the mildest winters i've experienced in my 26 years living here. this summer is going to be hell

Unread 02-01-2012, 02:26 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,176,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
i thought Al Gore made up global warming?

seriously though, this is one of the mildest winters i've experienced in my 26 years living here. this summer is going to be hell
In more ways than one. It's not that unusual to have warm winters here. I remember one year seeing mosquitoes in January. I'm enjoying it now, but warm winters are usually followed by 'buggy' summers and an overabundance of wildlife down the road. I'm from the school that believes in at least a few weeks of very cold weather in the winter, to balance nature anyway. The cold weather seems to even-out the ecosystem. I think we're in for a zillion deer this summer------maybe we should re-introduce mountain lions just to even things out.

Unread 02-01-2012, 08:13 PM

2,034 posts, read 1,162,686 times
Classic la nina pattern. Happens every 6-7 years. I remember an indian summer back in 2005 when I played golf in February soooooo right on track as far as I can tell.

If Nova turned to San Diego in climate, I'd be the first one throwing the parade. All this "winter is fun" talk is lost on me. Regardless, not climate change, just a strong la nina year, though this la nina is particular powerful which could mean bad news for the cascades out west/flood watch etc. Then again those same floods are the reason why that region is so beautiful so catch 22 I suppose.

Thats weather on the 8s, back to you Tom.

P.S. A buggy summer?

Unread 02-01-2012, 08:49 PM

61 posts, read 59,225 times
Why is it so warm? Well because I bought my first ever skis this season that is why. I have not had the opportunity to go out once this season.

Unread 02-02-2012, 05:17 AM

18,579 posts, read 12,706,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
I'm enjoying it now, but warm winters are usually followed by 'buggy' summers and an overabundance of wildlife down the road.
You might be right about that, I don't really know. On the other hand the worst mosquito infestations I've ever seen were in Denali National Park, and Alaska does not have mild winters.

Unread 02-02-2012, 08:10 AM

1,002 posts, read 832,553 times
well a lot of businesses depend on the cold weather/snow too. Like Ski resorts and heating/oil companies..But there are costly normally so it helps us out.

Unread 02-02-2012, 08:54 AM

2,711 posts, read 1,161,243 times
I don't like it much. I like winter to be winter. Plus, my flowering pear has buds on it now--which will die when it turns cold. Makes me wonder if that also means fruit prices will be higher (since fruit trees might also blossom and die--meaning a smaller crop). I also wonder if I wasted a whole lot of time and money planting tulips this fall--if they start to spring up and then die. I am watching the ground where I planted them like a hawk! lol.

Then there are the issues with bugs later and animals (like bears) getting their hibernation cycles all mixed up. Lymn disese will probably be worse this upcoming year since there will be more ticks if this keeps up.

(and darn it, I want a snow day off! I love snow days off... after I shovel the driveway it's all play/sledding with my daughter and hot cocoa afterwards )

But I guess I can't do anything about the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia