Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
People respond to such posts with acrimony because they are tired of so many people driving so RECKLESSLY. If somebody is overscheduled, that should be their problem and they shouldn't involve other innocent people on the roads because they are in such a hurry.
It's not even the driving part it's that the reckless driving threads really are pointless spam as they are almost all made by first posters. I don't get why the reckless driving thread is not sticky while the general pointers thread (which has not had a new post in nearly three months) is still there.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:12 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
It's not even the driving part it's that the reckless driving threads really are pointless spam as they are almost all made by first posters. I don't get why the reckless driving thread is not sticky while the general pointers thread (which has not had a new post in nearly three months) is still there.

I've asked the same thing and someone explained that each area can only have two stickies. I find this answer a little strange when other similar forums will have anywhere from 4-10 sticky subjects.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,442 times
Reckless driving on GWPwy which is a US National Park means you have to go to the Federal Court in Alexandria.

There would be prosecutors offering same deal to "everyone" (with lawyer or not, but you have one already so just take him with). Most likely you will have to plead guilty to speeding ticket charged in exchange for reckless driving charge to be dropped. They will not reduce the amount of speed charged so you will pay the fine and DMV points based on that (32 over limit).

I would recommend

1. Slow down in the future on GW or anywhere. It does not worth the ticket or accident and the stress of going to court.
2. Order your driving record from DMV and make a copy for prosecutors.
3. Dress nice (suit) and be punctual.
4. You will get the chance to talk in front of the judge. Be contrite (as you should be) and apologize for your act.
5. Pay the fine to get reckless dropped.

The fine will be very expensive ($300-$400) to pay for all VA projects.
It is still much better than being convicted of reckless driving.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Just an opinion...but I don't think I'd want to be doing 82 on the Parkway in a car unless you're down by the airport. Too many curves and hills farther north. I don't even like going above 70 on my bike, and it handles FAR better in the curves than a car! I CERTAINLY wouldn't be doing 82 in my Jeep on the Parkway.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:10 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I've asked the same thing and someone explained that each area can only have two stickies. I find this answer a little strange when other similar forums will have anywhere from 4-10 sticky subjects.
The official rule is indeed two sticky threads per forum. Whether that is being enforced in other forums is something beyond this forum's jurisdiction. If three were allowed, then the Official Reckless Driving Thread may have well been the latest addition.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:15 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Just an opinion...but I don't think I'd want to be doing 82 on the Parkway in a car unless you're down by the airport. Too many curves and hills farther north. I don't even like going above 70 on my bike, and it handles FAR better in the curves than a car! I CERTAINLY wouldn't be doing 82 in my Jeep on the Parkway.
Are you nuts? The airport is where most of the accidents on the Parkway happen. There are several ramps that have no merge lanes and when other cars go that fast it makes it almost impossible to judge whether you can safely get on the Parkway. If you are at a complete stop at a yield sign, you need a lot of space to get up to speed without getting rear ended by someone driving 80 mph. Even if there are no other cars on the road at midnight, there is still a lot of danger of crashing into someone trying to merge onto the Parkway. Plus, you are talking about a lot of car rentals coming down those ramps where the drivers aren't used to the Parkway, their cars, their mirrors, etc.

Also, near the airport, the Mt. Vernon bike trail is only a few unprotected feet from the Parkway. If you get into an accident there, you have a good chance of killing a biker or walker on that heavily used path.

In addition to all that, there is no safety shoulder or a lot of easy places to pull of the road if you have a problem. So it is super dangerous to go highway speed on the Parkway. Someone used to be killed on that road all the time, that's why the speed limits are so low by the airport. I admit it is annoying and really difficult to restrain yourself from driving fast on the Parkway when it is not busy, but I've just seen way too many accidents or near misses. I'm still shocked that they haven't put in proper merge lanes or a protective fence for the trail.

Last edited by slim04; 02-09-2012 at 02:25 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
I'm thinking more from a road point of view, taking out all the other ways you can get killed or kill someone down there. I have a hard time keeping my speed down on the bike out towards the McLean area, especially with no traffic...just too many good curves - but, I don't need or want the ticket, so I keep it respectable. The airport is a different matter...I'm usually not going much faster than 50 or so down there, though I think i've gotten to 60 with the flow of traffic. I'd rather not have some yahoo coast out into the roadway and bang up my nice shiny car because he's afraid to drive!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:39 AM

163 posts, read 314,765 times
Tickets have come in bunches for me and thankfully I haven't had a "bunch" in almost ten years.

That road usually has some of the worst accidents I can remember and was the scene of a horrific accident a few years ago that was traced back to aggressive driving so they take it pretty seriously but in the end, they just want your money.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
Ouch. 32 mph over the posted, with priors on your record? You better make sure that suit looks fantastic. And you better start every answer you speak with the words "sir, yes sir." If I were the judge, knowing you've been warned already with your prior tickets, I'd be staring you square in the eyes, looking for fear of what I am more than capable of doing to you.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:28 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaperson22 View Post

3. In all of the circumstances there were no vehicles present, except this one where traffic was moderate at best a car every once and a while.
I have never, ever been on any part of the GW Parkway at a time where this would be an accurate statement. And, I do not think that an officer would have been posted there if cars went by rarely, and the officer might contradict your characterization if you said this to the judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia