U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:52 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,062,034 times

Advertisements

I'm black and there's no special reason for living in VA. As just mentioned my job is in VA. It just doesn't make sense for me to live in PG county because the commute would be longer than I could bare. When I moved here I was totally unfamiliar with any dividing line formed in the Potomac. I didn't look at things like schools simply becasue I have no children.

When I first moved here I just went with a place that was relatively close to my job. However, now that I've lived in VA for a few years, VA is just more comfortable and familiar to me than Maryland. So even a job opportunity in say the District might still find me living in VA.

So yeah I think most black folks who made the choice to live in VA versus MD, did so for the same reasons that others have done: schools, quality of life, proximity to work, etc. I almost ask why its a question. Why is a special reason needed. More and more black families are moving to traditionally white suburbs across the country its not unique to Northern Virginia. Integration is a good thing.

Although coming from a hometown that has been traditionally 45-50% black (and more integrated than the DC area) it was a bit of a culture shock moving to Fairfax county.

Now I will say that there are times when a black oriented service can be harder to come by. I remember when my mother came to visit she got very frustrated when she couldn't find a once-thought obligatory African American literature section at the Barnes and Noble in Tysons. She was visitng while I had to work so she needed something for the metro ride to the city. She was just shocked that all bookstores don't have this section. In hindsight I wonder if we just overlooked it since even the former Borders in Fair Oaks mall had a black lit section. I've since bought her a kindle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 01:35 PM

5 posts, read 8,298 times
Good lord, what a positively ridiculous question. I'd laugh if it weren't so totally unfunny...

Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,615,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisNewfie View Post
Good lord, what a positively ridiculous question. I'd laugh if it weren't so totally unfunny...
Then why even respond?????

If you didn't see the original thread then this question probably won't make sense to you.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:36 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,943,215 times
The real question is: Why are white people moving to Blacksburg? Hmm?

OK, but as to the topic at hand: It's a legit question, but it's sort of ironic, in that a few months ago there was a "Where the heck are all the black people in NOVA?" thread.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 02-02-2012 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,056,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Otherwise excellent comments, but I'm not sure what you mean by a "black-oriented grocery store" -- one that sells chitterlings, greens and pigs feet?? Do mainstream grocery chains carry those items?
Try the Food Star on Columbia Pike in Arlington. They carry everything...
They cater to all the immigrant populations in S. Arlington, Baileys Crossroads and Annandale. Hispanic, Asian, Caribbean, African...

As for the original question, I think it's just a function that more African American's are moving into the middle class, and subseqently will seek the same things the middle class seek elsewhere: Schools, taxes, professional employment, yaddayaddayadda.
Furthermore, we are seeing an influx of Caribbean and African immigrants to the area, which don't have the history of the local African American population and are culturally distinct.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:40 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,943,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Furthermore, we are seeing an influx of Caribbean and African immigrants to the area, which don't have the history of the local African American population and are culturally distinct.
True. Maybe BajanYankee can tell us where to get some souse and "dolphin" sandwiches.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,009,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Why are Black People Moving to Northern Virginia
Same reason they move anywhere: it's where the jobs are.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:20 AM

13 posts, read 32,434 times
I moved to South Arlington because the rent was considerably low for this area, the apartment was furnished, and I didn't want to fight traffic to get to my job. There was nothing else to it.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:19 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,862,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Same reason they move anywhere: it's where the jobs are.
Exactly, If you know why White people are moving to NoVa then you have your answer.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:38 PM

982 posts, read 3,099,325 times
Is this post from 2012 or 1812? I'm black and I've lived in NoVA for 27 years. I don't know what blacks outside of NoVA have to say about the area, but it's just another place to live. Any black person who is timid about moving to NoVA needs to get out more. There is so much more to the world than the confinement people CHOOSE to keep themselves in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
A few months ago we had a very popular thread about why there was so few blacks in NoVA, but I would like to talk about the reverse. I want to know some of the reasons why some of the blacks who are moving there, are there. Often times when I tell my extended family or black co-workers about my longing to move my family to NoVA, I usually get the look and questions sometimes follow. For most black families in this region it seems as though living anywhere outside of MD or DC would be odd. I certainly do not blame anyone for wanting to live in those places, I have for many years myself, but I am interested in hearing what the draw is for blacks to move to NoVA as well as some of the challenges, if any, that some has faced moving to NoVA. Also if you are not black and live in NoVA, what are some things you would tell a black person to assure them that NoVA is a welcoming place for those who may be afraid to move there as opposed to a more predominantly black place? Please let me disclaim that this is not an attempt to turn this into a racist discussion, this is only meant to bring a different perspective to the earlier discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia