Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times

Advertisements

if money is not an issue in moving then i believe people move to an area because they like it - at least thats what i did - i would think it odd to spend that money on moving to a place you dont like -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 AM

236 posts, read 479,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Based on your many years in Arlington, I respect your account of your experience.
thanks.. I don't mean to have a bad tone but the labor class sure outnumber even still in Arlington and it is only growing. Everywhere I've seem to go the blue collars outnumber the white collars something like 5 to 1.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
I think Northern Virginia has a lot for anyone wanting to move here. Why did a lot of Asians/Middle Easterners move here in the 80s, and indians in the late 90s and 2000s, etc. People who have professional fields move to the place where those jobs are, and there is no doubt there are alot of service and professional jobs in NOVA.
there is a problem with the analogy in my opinion... because a majority of the influx have not been their wealthy or their desirables. If someone already has their head above water maybe even wealthy in their own country like Mexico, then why would they want to move here and lose more than half of their bank account?

Old 02-27-2012, 06:16 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Artifact View Post
there is a problem with the analogy in my opinion... because a majority of the influx have not been their wealthy or their desirables. If someone already has their head above water maybe even wealthy in their own country like Mexico, then why would they want to move here and lose more than half of their bank account?
One could ask your rhetorical question of most anyone in the US as NOVA is one of the most expensive areas in the country. The general answer for middle-upper-class households of any ethnicity, I would suspect, has a lot to do with maintaining or expanding one's career and business opportunities.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
One could ask your rhetorical question of most anyone in the US as NOVA is one of the most expensive areas in the country. The general answer for middle-upper-class households of any ethnicity, I would suspect, has a lot to do with maintaining or expanding one's career and business opportunities.
the problem is working together, it would seem on the world stage that multicultural nations (there is none quite like ours) the people don't work together, in fact more time is spend bickering and fighting than any type of moving forward we are supposed to be doing. All this is quite obvious on the world stage too... Arlington is unrecognizable from what it was 15 yrs ago.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 AM

I tell ya my final decision to get the heck out of here came when I was driving down Columbia Pike some time ago and there was a street person on the corner of the pike and four mile run... during the middle of rush hour trafffic he was standing beside the woven metal swinging trash can that is there hiding his booze in the can... he turned around right in broad daylight and began to urinate albeit back to traffic but in broad daylight (just like back home)... ever since that incident all kinds of new incidents and noticing have taken place. Another thing that the imports don't do anymore either is assimilate, what is done now and at this point is 3rd world ideals and lifestyles and doings are being imported at a greater rate.

it is really weird how my love of this area has changed and so drastically in such a short time and I've been through most of my lifes trials here... the wealth is moving out. I've played in Barcroft as a kid, now we have MS13 and little locos knifing our kids and gearing up for some more machete violence.

Last edited by Cosmic Artifact; 02-27-2012 at 07:20 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 07:24 AM

Just driving by a gas station and the windows are pasted up with phone cards so much to the point of not being able to see thru the windows ... it's one of my pet peeves I suppose but it really makes the area look trashy, Arlington lawmakers need to do something about that. Quality of life has taken more than a 50% blow that's for sure.

Last edited by Cosmic Artifact; 02-27-2012 at 07:33 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 07:36 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Artifact View Post
I tell ya my final decision to get the heck out of here came when I was driving down Columbia Pike some time ago and there was a street person on the corner of the pike and four mile run... during the middle of rush hour trafffic he was standing beside the woven metal swinging trash can that is there hiding his booze in the can... he turned around right in broad daylight and began to urinate albeit back to traffic but in broad daylight (just like back home)... ever since that incident all kinds of new incidents and noticing have taken place. Another thing that the imports don't do anymore either is assimilate, what is done now and at this point is 3rd world ideals and lifestyles and doings are being imported at a greater rate.

it is really weird how my love of this area has changed and so drastically in such a short time and I've been through most of my lifes trials here... the wealth is moving out. I've played in Barcroft as a kid, now we have MS13 and little locos knifing our kids and gearing up for some more machete violence.
Can't speak to what you've witnessed in recent years (similar to what goes on in some DC neighborhoods), but by many accounts the Columbia Pike corredor of South Arlington is about as primed as any part of NoVa for an influx of new development.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:38 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Cosmic Artifact, your last three posts appear to be more of an observation on multiculturalism and the underclass in Arlington rather than the original topic of Black people moving to NOVA. It would be helpful to stay on topic.

FWIW, although I've only been here for about seven years, I'm told much of NOVA has changed, for better or worse, over the last 10-20 years, let alone Arlington itself.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-27-2012 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Cosmic Artifact, your last three posts appear to be more of an observation on multiculturalism and the underclass in Arlington rather than the original topic of Black people moving to NOVA. It would be helpful to stay on topic.
yes true.. I guess I had to let it out somewhere. I am just trying to get my observations across so that potentials get the gist of the truth. As I have said the workers always outnumber so it is understandable that a small portion of comfortable people just do not want to hear it.

I have lived my life between RT50 and Col Pike from Carlin Springs rd to S. Courthouse rd, in the neighborhoods that run all along and in between that stretch, that is middle class housing btw.

sorry again man...

Last edited by Cosmic Artifact; 02-27-2012 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: fixed my own typo in quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia