U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 AM

448 posts, read 739,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamnbam View Post
Wow, really? They might be. There are lots of us Blacks who also love horses and farms; we're definitely a minority in the equestrian world, but we are out there. And last I'd heard, Sheila Johnson, co-founder of BET and former president of the Washington International Horse Show, had a 200-acre farm out in Middleburg, where her daughter, Paige, rides A-circuit jumpers on their 18 show horses.

I'm sure there's some regular folks enjoying the horses and farms out in Middleburg, too, though...
Good response to the "what's the draw for black people" post. Reading through the post, I was amused at some of the responses and the assumptions made about blacks.

One thing that people need to know is that blacks were in Loudoun and Fairfax Counties before it was cool. In fact some of the land we live on was once owned by black families. The NORM for blacks at one time was to live in rural regions.

Many of the blacks remaining in places like Falls Church/Baileys Crossroads, Middleburg and Leesburg are NOT new and have been there for generations - some since close to the Emancipation Proclamation. Now, many blacks relocated to urban areas during the "great migration" and have been there since that time. However, now there is a "reverse migration" happening where many blacks are returning to the South and some are even going further and returning to their rural roots.

I'm saying all of that to say (WRT the "what's the draw to the more rural areas" question) that there is nothing historically strange about blacks liking fishing, farming, hunting and even riding horses (albeit not equestrian).
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 AM

236 posts, read 408,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Good response to the "what's the draw for black people" post. Reading through the post, I was amused at some of the responses and the assumptions made about blacks.

One thing that people need to know is that blacks were in Loudoun and Fairfax Counties before it was cool. In fact some of the land we live on was once owned by black families. The NORM for blacks at one time was to live in rural regions.

Many of the blacks remaining in places like Falls Church/Baileys Crossroads, Middleburg and Leesburg are NOT new and have been there for generations - some since close to the Emancipation Proclamation. Now, many blacks relocated to urban areas during the "great migration" and have been there since that time. However, now there is a "reverse migration" happening where many blacks are returning to the South and some are even going further and returning to their rural roots.

I'm saying all of that to say (WRT the "what's the draw to the more rural areas" question) that there is nothing historically strange about blacks liking fishing, farming, hunting and even riding horses (albeit not equestrian).
great information... it's not just blacks, white people are fleeing in droves.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-27-2012 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: watch the racial characterizations

Old 03-11-2012, 11:02 PM

90 posts, read 270,967 times
Northern VA terrific for blacks
Lots of jobs and nice housing
Close to D.C.

Not anymore racism than anywhere else
It is NOT the South

Old 03-11-2012, 11:22 PM

375 posts, read 801,639 times
I grew up in NoVa and we only had 3 black kids in my high school then - the 80's. However, I NEVER even was exposed to any racist comments by other whites like me, and grew up believing everyone got along no matter what their race. I was taught and grew up w/others who thought like me, and didn't experience racism until I moved to FL in 2000.I had no idea that people even still were racist! I think overall you won't experience racism, but my sister in law and brother (who still live there) have told me that it's becoming an increasingly classist society (based on how much you make, what you do for a living, where you live). So you may experience that, but I would be surprised if there was a lot or any racism at all, except from those random small minded ppl who exist everywhere.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:04 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,615,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelb View Post
I grew up in NoVa and we only had 3 black kids in my high school then - the 80's. However, I NEVER even was exposed to any racist comments by other whites like me, and grew up believing everyone got along no matter what their race. I was taught and grew up w/others who thought like me, and didn't experience racism until I moved to FL in 2000.I had no idea that people even still were racist! I think overall you won't experience racism, but my sister in law and brother (who still live there) have told me that it's becoming an increasingly classist society (based on how much you make, what you do for a living, where you live). So you may experience that, but I would be surprised if there was a lot or any racism at all, except from those random small minded ppl who exist everywhere.
Unfortunately, as long as people are different in some type of way (class, race, religion, etc.) there always be some type of prejudice. Ignorance breeds prejudice and Northern VA is not immune to it just like you said.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 12,848 times
Excuse me but black people have always lived here in NOVA! In certian areas/neighborhoods throughout NOVA you'll see majority of one or more races but for the most part its mixed communities of all races & cultures. NOVA Is very diverse as a whole. Everyone in NOVA is here for all it has to offer,its not about more of one race etc.I'm sorry maybe its because I'm black & from NOVA (born,raised and still live here) that this question sounds kinda crazy/weird to me. But from your question it sounds like you've been living some place (within nova?) or somewhere altogether that has had low population of black residents in the community. WE have been here,its not a like a rush of black people just started moving to NOVA lol There maybe black people moving from other areas like DC/MD or from outside the DMV area but as stated before black residents have been here. Lol

Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,615,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma6 View Post
Excuse me but black people have always lived here in NOVA! In certian areas/neighborhoods throughout NOVA you'll see majority of one or more races but for the most part its mixed communities of all races & cultures. NOVA Is very diverse as a whole. Everyone in NOVA is here for all it has to offer,its not about more of one race etc.I'm sorry maybe its because I'm black & from NOVA (born,raised and still live here) that this question sounds kinda crazy/weird to me. But from your question it sounds like you've been living some place (within nova?) or somewhere altogether that has had low population of black residents in the community. WE have been here,its not a like a rush of black people just started moving to NOVA lol There maybe black people moving from other areas like DC/MD or from outside the DMV area but as stated before black residents have been here. Lol
I think you are taking the question the wrong way. I never suggested that black people don't live in NoVA, I asked why black people are MOVING to NoVA. I was asking this in comparison as to why blacks are moving to NoVA as opposed to MD or DC which both have high black populations. Again like my original post stated, NoVA isn't considered very popular for black people who live in this region but don't live there, so I was only trying to find out what made blacks people who moved here think differently of NoVA than other blacks that move here.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 12,848 times
Ok. Gotcha

Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 AM

38 posts, read 84,066 times
I am a Black female who has been a Northern Virginia resident all my life.

I will say most come from MD/DC for VA's MUCH BETTER schools. ESPECIALLY in the special education areas.

Also- VA tends to have higher-paying jobs- a lot of the contracting positions out here (dulles corridor, ft belvoir expansion, Alexandria expansion off 395, etc) so they are moving this way to save money on their commute.

The crime rate is MUCH lower over here in NoVA compared to PG- they are probably tired of having their cars stolen and houses broken into so they come to VA where it is a bit quieter- not saying it doesn't happen here, but not nearly as bad.

And lets be honest- none of us want to live next to low class people (of ANY race) that have no respect for their home or their community (leaving trash, cursing, hanging on the stoop all day drinking, not cutting their lawns, overcrowding their house, not watching their kids so they vandalize and steal out of boredom). So just like anyone else, they will move where there is LESS riff-raff.

Color has nothing to do with it, common sense does.

And I will add- I LIKE equestrian LOL. Love to fish and hunt (crossbow and shotgun) too! See you at Bull Run or the other county parks and lakes!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 AM

18,614 posts, read 16,385,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
The small black population in Middleburg has been there for hundreds of years; long before the horsey-set. You have to remember that Northern Virginia was mostly Southern/rural until about 50 years ago. There were small black settlements all over NOVA, even in Great Falls and McLean. You can find these communities wherever you see a black church or cemetery, although most are long gone.
Very true. There is also Gum Springs and I read somewhere the area around TC Williams and parts of West End Alexandria were also home to historic black settlements. Then of course there's the Southern Arlington neighborhood of Nyack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia